Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

manithetech
Basically couple weeks ago, had a 2.0 turbo 2013 Hyundai genesis come in for smog as he is buying the vehicle.
As I start everything appeared normal no after market parts almost brand new. Car had 48 thousand miles only
Here’s where it gets weird emission sticker calls for 2 AF sensors, Mitchell calls for 2 and another emission application guide book calls for 2 sensors
I located the two of them but saw an extra one with the wires cut off.
The pipe and cats look bone stock however the extra sensor was there
What could this have been ???????

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

manithetech

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

MikesFB6
So what did you do? The parts website I just looked at only offers an upstream & downstream sensor. No idea what it is. Maybe OEM piping from a different year I’m pretty sure they don’t use Nox sensors.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Aftermarket A/F gauge?
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

manithetech
The car was bone stock all over it had a gauge for turbo and some other ones but not for AF sensors
I failed him for tampering with emission on sensors

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Just curious, why is an extra disconnected AFR a failure?
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

manithetech
Called bar hotline and was advised for modification of the pipe and properly wrong cat.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thanks for the picture and the heads up, but does it really matter. IT'S A FAIL. Cut wire to a sensor FAIL.

 Check it out and see if it shows up, (if you did it) Maybe UC.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Cut wire to a sensor FAIL.
Even if it is an extra sensor and all of the original sensors are in place and connected?
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Best Answer I Can Give
 Safe side? YES FAIL! It was not as it was built. Simple.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

OK, I got even curiouser and looked it up. That is NOT an extra sensor and is absolutely a failure. Simple!
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Best Answer I Can Give
 The simple part of this is, NOT SURE ?FAIL IT. They can give you proof of it not being wrong, FREE RETEST.

 Why take the chance?

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Troll
Smart on the free retest philosophy.  This puts it on them with minimum hassle to them.  It still does not make up for the whored out price on the motorhomes.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

BasicTech678
Troll wrote
Smart on the free retest philosophy.  This puts it on them with minimum hassle to them.  It still does not make up for the whored out price on the motorhomes.
a whore could probably make 3 times that in same time. dont charge less then whores

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

I would have had to do a bit of research I'm not sure what I would have done I probably would have failed it on the spot if I were in a rush but because it looks factory-installed I'm wondering if the pipe has been changed or possibly if this was a factory or dealer install component for engineering testing. When I worked for Dodge we ended up with a few vehicles that were mistakenly sent to us at the dealer that were engineering test vehicles that had various components on them that we're not supposed to be there

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018, 7:27 PM manithetech [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Basically couple weeks ago, had a 2.0 turbo 2013 Hyundai genesis come in for smog as he is buying the vehicle.
As I start everything appeared normal no after market parts almost brand new. Car had 48 thousand miles only
Here’s where it gets weird emission sticker calls for 2 AF sensors, Mitchell calls for 2 and another emission application guide book calls for 2 sensors
I located the two of them but saw an extra one with the wires cut off.
The pipe and cats look bone stock however the extra sensor was there
What could this have been ???????

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Extra-A-F-sensor-or-HO2S-tp5068249.html

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

tampered wrote
OK, I got even curiouser and looked it up. That is NOT an extra sensor and is absolutely a failure. Simple!
     HI Tampered , , why would you have absolutely failed this particular car ? Is there something you are not telling us ? I don't think that an extra sensor would necesarrily be a tamper , the exhaust is plugged up with an sensor that has been decommissioned , now if there was a spoiler on the one A/F sensor that is definitely a fail . Would you be nice and tell us why ?

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Voltron
Id fail it and send them to the ref and let him sort it out

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

138541
jvolman wrote
Id fail it and send them to the ref and let him sort it out
Exactly. Not the original equipment.. No EO#. Fail and refer for free test @ the Referee.

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Voltron
Al wrote
jvolman wrote
Id fail it and send them to the ref and let him sort it out
Exactly. Not the original equipment.. No EO#. Fail and refer for free test @ the Referee.
Thats where i let my instinct on sizing people up come in.  I dont give anyone a discounted anything on tamper fails.  Just a sucks to be you shrug.  blatant tampers get no sympathy from me,

Re: Extra A/F sensor or HO2S

Karupt wrote
tampered wrote
OK, I got even curiouser and looked it up. That is NOT an extra sensor and is absolutely a failure. Simple!
     HI Tampered , , why would you have absolutely failed this particular car ? Is there something you are not telling us ? I don't think that an extra sensor would necesarrily be a tamper , the exhaust is plugged up with an sensor that has been decommissioned , now if there was a spoiler on the one A/F sensor that is definitely a fail . Would you be nice and tell us why ?
Hi Karupt!  I was looking at the motor guide and the OP photo and thought that it was B1S2 with the wires cut, but now I ain't sure, but I'm in full agreement with you if it's an extra and everything else is there, pass all day long.  it's just a bung plug with wires hanging off of it.

EDIT: I can't sleep. Not only would  I pass it, I'd also thank the customer for cutting it where I can see it's cut.  Next!  Oh look, it's a Miata with a hollowed out CAT in place of the muffler!
If it ain't broke, break it.
12