F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Able
yeah, did this since the beginning of the year now, so its been 6 months....$$$ more money for sure. still super busy, but i am not sure if people will come back next time. i am TO so its my only meal ticket.

i had about a dozen customers said "but shop XYZ charges $XXX."

i smiled and respond, yeah sorry we can't smog for that price. see you next time.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

none
I had raised my prices on BAR97 tests (a lot) and it took a few months for the other shops to raise their prices up too. Give it some time but I know your feeling. We want to make more but we want to be competitive too.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Evaponly818

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

No One
Are you suggesting we price fix lol? I charge $50 with cert included for most 2000 and newer cars. Vans $60 on ois. 1996-99 70$ $80 for 1990-95. And $90 for 89 and older cars. Customer cry all the time, but I always say "you have the freedom to shop around in this capitalist society we live in." The people that complain also tend to have the gross polluting beaters, which will fowl up my machine. The people with cars 89 and older cars hardly complain.

I've been thinking about raising my ois test to $60 all around. Had customer come in where they had their car failed on the OIS. Saw the receipt and it said $70.

The people that cry the most are the ones with year model cars 96-99. I used to charge $50 all around, but that changed. The guy up the street from me charges $95 for 95 and older cars. He used to charge $30 for all ois test, but not anymore.

Even though I raised my prices for the dyno test, im not seeing a bump in profits. If anything, its making up for the slow year I've been having.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

I think for the first time I'm "Able" to compliment Able".  Good for you in raising your prices and holding.
You will always get the "the other guy is $$$ cheaper".  Granted you will loose some customers, but others willing to pay the higher price are always the better one..

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

xcinlb
Good job raising your prices. We look at our prices every year and usually increase some or all of them. Costs continue to go up and remember to stay profitable. It's not just about the volume. You might end up doing a few less vehicles, but are running more profitable. Less vehicles, more profit equals, less wear and tear on all your equipment and workforce and or you. Remember, some customers will always complain no matter what the price is, because they're pissed they have to smog their vehicles. I don't know what area you are in, but I see more room for price hikes. We have bottom feeder shops around as well, they can work their butt off all day for little profit and wear out their workers or themselves.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Best Answer I Can Give
 One of the VERY few things that come with getting older is, My cost are going down.
 Seriously thinking about going down to one bay. Rent now $3000. Make a deal and have it go to about $1200. Just me no counter help and do less cars.

 I have no kids to raise. I could sell the house and be money ahead. Point is, as you get older you need less.
Kind of nice.
So I think I will keep them where, maybe lower them.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Able
Evaponly818 wrote
What are prices looking like now? We should all match OIS test at 50$
including the certificate to be fair. Who agrees or who thinks there’s a
more reasonable price?
Lowest we go here is 40$ with cert for OIS
Quoted from:
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/F-it-i-raised-my-prices-10-bucks-across-the-board-tp5073737p5073741.html

New Prices (includes Certs)
2000+ $60
1999-  $70
1995-  $80

I do have competition though, most shops around my area are $40 for OIS and they have those $30 ones too.

hows the $60 ois working out for you? I'm thinking about raising it to that for OIS.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Able
i am hitting some resistance from it. customers are complaining about 20% so 1 out over every 5 are saying something about it. but i try to make it up with good customer service and greet people with a smile and keep my shop looking nice and clean. 20% is a high complaint rate for me though. but oh well, its been 6 months now any my profits are higher and i am working less..

summer is almost here so i am expecting things to be super busy soon...

i have seen on many occasions where customers come with fail receipts from other station where the smogs are $70 and $80! but then i came to me for $50 (last year price) out the door so maybe prices ($70-80) are too high?

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

xcinlb
We've been at $66 for over a year. Prices go all the way up to $195 for RV's. Old vans $160+ and exotics $150, where a stain on a floor matt could eliminate a days work.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

I don't have any input on the subject of prices, but I have noticed that our prices have gone up this year too.  It looks like they now range from $49.75 for the gravy, up to $119.75 for the nasty rat turd and black widow infested 30-something-year-old motorhomes.

Like I stated before, I generally don't complain much about inspecting and identifying turds as turds, but being expected to diagnose and polish them productively and effectively is the real soul-killer.  I wish my boss would keep the inspection prices attractive, and raise the repair labor rate from $95 to $195/hr.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

No One
$195 an hour are dealer prices. You work at a dealer?

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

BasicTech678
No One wrote
$195 an hour are dealer prices. You work at a dealer?
i doubt dealers work on 30 year old motorhome dumps that dont pass emissions, most dealers only have OIS now

No, I've worked at small independent shops for my entire 35 year career.  My point is that I'd like to price myself out of the shitshining business, and just pass 'em, fail 'em, or punt 'em:

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

Evaponly818

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

whoa that's a lot of fails. You'd think that the customer at one point would opt out of trying to get his car to pass legally.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

@Evaponly818:  Thank you.  I realized the hard way about 26 years ago that I lacked the necessary skills to head a successful small business, and it seems that I'm not brave enough to see if that is still true today.  I'm back in a one-income family, at least for the moment.

@No One:  The owner appears to be obsessed with beating a sick mule, I guess.

Re: F it. i raised my prices 10 bucks across the board

No One
Some cars just need to be taken off the road
12