FAIL or not to FAIL?

GrossPolluter
We had a 2005 Hyundai Accent 1.6L come in today, customer told us that she just had $500+ worth of repairs done on it, new Cat this and that.

Ran the ASM, passed with no surprise then followed by the Visual inspection. Everything appeared to be connected, no tampers, the converter was new just as the customer told us but we couldn't retrieve the EO'# on it. It looked like a factory replacement just like the Honda civics where it was part of the exhaust manifold.

We couldn't pull the EO# off this thing. Her mechanic installed it where the EO# was faced towards the engine block. We tried to get out mirror into the small crack but it did not help.

What have you guys have done? Fail it and make her get it repaired correctly and give her a free re-test? We ABORTED the inspection. We definitely did not want to pass it just to cover our asses and did not have a good reason to fail it.

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

kfworry
An OEM manifold CAT will NOT have a CARB EO
because it is NOT an AFTER MARKET part.
Besides the vehicle is too new to have an AFTER MARKET
CAT available.

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

reactor
Fail, offer free retest out of courtesy. You have to verify the Cat EO# or she can show paperwork from the dealer showing it's a factory part installed by them.
There were some CAT EO#'s cancelled (rescinded) for aftermarket cats on Accents recently, so you gotta be sure the car has the right one.

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

GrossPolluter
this was not an OEM cat. It had the bright shiny cover shell all around it and there was hardware(nuts/bolts) on all four corners to hold that cover in place onto the Cat. I never installed a converter before, I seen many replaced but only a few where the EO#s were not visible.

Id hate to fail them for something that was done incorrectly but if its OK, I might as well do so and get paid.

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

K20SI
the customer dosnt give a damn i have people come in with the wrong cats on there car i fail them they go to the next shop 10 mins later and pass i ive failed 2 this week and they passed on the same day i failed them and also on the esp machine i notice that if u failed a car and it comes up as  a tamper it wont show up on the smog machine when the nexts guy logs it in i dont no if all the machines are like that

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

GrossPolluter
This post was updated on .
Customers that don't understand the law really don't care, most of them just want a Pass so they can Register their vehicles. But, the customers that do care are the ones that are more aware of what is going on, so next time when they get an inspection, they want it to Pass legitimately.

Sounds like the idiots down the street that are passing them after you failed it really don't care. It sucks cuz next time when that same customer needs a smog check they are going to take it back to the idiots that passed it 2 years ago(if they are still in business) because they were lenient to pass them and you lose their business because you had to be a hard ass and did your job.

I wasn't aware that the ESP analyzer do not show the Failed Tampered vehicles. I know if it Failed as a GP, it will not show when you log it in.

Re: FAIL or not to FAIL?

SMOG 1
2001 f350 DIESEL DIPSTICK BROKEN ?