FPR: badly needing help to raise it

NoSmogForYou
Hello everyone! first time poster/long time lurker here.

Anyways, I've been a smog tech since 1991. My  FPR always goes up/down and  has stayed above .40 since it's inception.  However, in the last 3 years it has steadily dropped. It went from .7 => .35 => .15 ... => .09(!) and now ... => .02(!!! ... yikes!). It bounces between .02 and .1 but our shop has gotten the "we're taking your star cert" letter again, and again, .... and again. BAR just will not leave us alone! They have mailed my employer the "just sign here acknowledging your tech with the .02 FPR has been terminated/removed from the shop, etc.. BAR has even had a rep personally pay us a visit for the sole intent and purpose to shove a clipboard with the same BS in my boss's face (expecting to see me get fired right on the spot).

My boss does not want to fire me, and he thinks of me as a very good tech, as I have been with him 7 years. We are both at wits' end with this low FPR crap. So ....

My main reason for posting this here is that we DESPERATELY need help on learning how to raise our FPR score. So, any help/suggestions are much appreciated. (we will do ANY-thing ... lol!)

Thanks in advance.

- NoSmogForYou

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

WealdstoneRaider
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/STAR_Program/How_to_Improve_Your_STAR_Score.aspx

Click on the follow-up pass rate and jot down notes of the " do not engage in these behaviors"
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

SmogAce
Hey there man,

I would ignore the last post response with a link to the BAR's website.... That link never helped anyone. Basically, what I have learned, especially from this discussion forum, Is that failing cars that you passed 2 years ago is the main culprit. Which... is totally ridiculous!! Especially a tech like you who has been working since 91 or whatever. You'll have customers who were on the borderline 2 years ago but failed this time around and somehow that makes you a bad tech?!?!. Unlawful is probably a better way to put it. My score has gone up and down and all around. I sit at a .67 Also... When a vehicle fails, and returns for a retest, I now make sure all monitors are complete, INCLUDING EVAP!!!. Some guys pre screen vehicles and will not smog a vehicle that has incomplete monitors of any kind.... Which again, is totally ridiculous since you're supposed to check each car as is when they come in. However, these tactics are used to protect ones STAR score so you can't entirely blame them, because again, the STAR scoring metrics are totally ridiculous.  Customers get upset and don't understand and I spend so much energy and effort explaining to my local customers, business associates, friends, and community why they have to drive around and fill tanks and 15 warm up cycles and criteria for evap monitor and, well... you guys and gals already know. There is even some weirdo here in town who fails cars and will not re test them, tells them to go somewhere else so that it drops other techs STAR score. (this dude sucks and is really cheap)

In the end, I am always trying to protect my score but have no exact, logical, explanation. What works for me, as a business owner, is to smog as many cars as I can until my score drops to a .2, which has happened twice. Then I am forced to hire a tech. I usually have to take the full six months of from doing a significant number of smogs so that my STAR score will come up. During the 6 months I usually smog on Saturdays only so I can give my tech a day off.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to give you everthing I got. I feel for you and wish you the best of luck. Figured I'd try and help, rather than post a link the BAR's website. Seems pretty mean =(

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

WealdstoneRaider
Not mean. I don't do none of the crap you just mentioned with pre screening cars etc and I've been staying in the .90's for years now. How you ask? If a customer comes in and asks for a smog I smog it and.... it either passes or fails! Even some cars that came in 2 years before and now have the MIL on they fail and my  score doesn't budge.  May sound harsh but it should be obvious by now that techs who drop below .10 aren't some innocent hardworking angels smogging by the book.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

WealdstoneRaider wrote
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/STAR_Program/How_to_Improve_Your_STAR_Score.aspx

Click on the follow-up pass rate and jot down notes of the " do not engage in these behaviors"
Ignore this shit. Get yourself a lawyer and file for discovery. You'll watch your score go up like magic.

I was big clean piper and plugger until June of this year according to my fpr score. I had my lawyer respond to them after receiving my star invalidation letter. my score went from .05 to .50

I did this back in in 2013 also. Went with out star for 3 years following their stupid recommendations. I got a lawyer as my final backed up against the wall move. Shit went up like magic after filing for discovery and challenging them in state court. My buddies boss did the same for him and got them same results. Its like my Boi BESTA says "its not a computer algorithm, someone is tinkering with the numbers"

Well Wealdstone. I can appreciate that. I wish you would have posted your last post as your first. Now we actually have some insight of how things have gone for you. So thanks. Just out of curiosity Wealdstone, do you work for a high volume shop, how many smogs do you average daily, and are you a test only or repair? Also, what is it that you think other technicians are doing wrong? What is your reasoning behind your comments stating technicians are doing inadequate smogs? What are they doing differently than you? Thanks for letting us know. I think they are important questions because we can gauge your answers against some of our own situations. I do 15 to 30 Smogs a day at a high volume test only. Do you work under similar circumstances?

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

SmogAce
No One wrote
WealdstoneRaider wrote

Love this response!! "Lawyer the f up people!!!"

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

WealdstoneRaider wrote
May sound harsh but it should be obvious by now that techs who drop below .10 aren't some innocent hardworking angels smogging by the book.
Bar should be able to easily prove their case in court when challenged then.

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

Fail more. Pass less. And stop worrying and it. The program does not work

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 11:45 AM NoSmogForYou [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone! first time poster/long time lurker here.

Anyways, I've been a smog tech since 1991. My  FPR always goes up/down and  has stayed above .40 since it's inception.  However, in the last 3 years it has steadily dropped. It went from .7 => .35 => .15 ... => .09(!) and now ... => .02(!!! ... yikes!). It bounces between .02 and .1 but our shop has gotten the "we're taking your star cert" letter again, and again, .... and again. BAR just will not leave us alone! They have mailed my employer the "just sign here acknowledging your tech with the .02 FPR has been terminated/removed from the shop, etc... as well as even having a BAR rep personally pay us a visit for the sole intent and purpose to shove a clipboard with the  same BS in my boss's face (expecting to see me get fired right on the spot).

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/FPR-badly-needing-help-to-raise-it-tp5082226.html

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

SmogAce
Well obviously he is gonna worry about it man!! He's about to loose his Job!

Kevin wrote

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone! first time poster/long time lurker here.
>
> Anyways, I've been a smog tech since 1991. My  FPR always goes up/down and
>  has stayed above .40 since it's inception.  However, in the last 3 years
> it has steadily dropped. It went from .7 => .35 => .15 ... => .09(!) and
> now ... => .02(!!! ... yikes!). It bounces between .02 and .1 but our shop
> has gotten the "we're taking your star cert" letter again, and again, ....
> and again. BAR just will not leave us alone! They have mailed my employer
> the "just sign here acknowledging your tech with the .02 FPR has been
> terminated/removed from the shop, etc... as well as even having a BAR rep
> personally pay us a visit for the sole intent and purpose to shove a
> clipboard with the  same BS in my boss's face (expecting to see me get
> fired right on the spot).
>
> My boss does not want to fire me, and he thinks of meas a very good tech,
> as I have been with him 7 years. We are both at wits' end with this low FPR
> crap. So ....
>
> My main reason for posting this  here is that we DESPERATELY need help on
> learning how to raise our FPR score. So, any help/suggestions are much
> appreciated. (we will do ANY-thing ... lol!)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - NoSmogForYou

> .
> NAML
> <http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

I think the demographics of where a shop is located plays a big part too. Cars are generally better maintained in higher income areas.

A few things that have helped my score (which has been really low at times) are; luck, only doing retests with ALL self tests complete, not testing cars with pending codes, not passing anything with electrical tape on a hose, and raising my prices.

I also ALWAYS make sure that the aftermarket catalytic converter part # matches the test group number on the underhood label on any 1996 or newer car.

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

Technician A
Fpr killers - used car shops and repair shops

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

No One
Technician A wrote
Fpr killers - used car shops and repair shops
Repair shops used to be a problem, but i now have all the shops coming to me with all monitors ready on of their cars. If they dont like it, they can go somewhere else. And i no longer deal with dealers because i refuse to give them discounts or a pass on evap monitor being incomplete.

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

STAR is Racist
After I started calling the STAR system racist, discriminatory and a symbol of white supremacy my score shot up to a .98. Maybe it's a coincidence but I know for a fact that if STAR is an honest system there is no reason for my score to be that high.

Re: FPR: badly needing help to raise it

No One! Fucking great info about fighting FPR! required reading!  I think there may also be "poison cars" as exampled by IGS.  I've seen some shops/techs with 15+ incidents and still under 2%, others will be way over with only 1 incident.  Could FPR be similarly affected?  Could explain why some low scores (like Michael's for example) aren't necessarily clean pipers.
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.