Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

SoCaL92626
Did the smog, failed it for the MIL Light on and had 2 codes. Customer then goes to mechanic and they told customer I was in the wrong for doing the test and should give them their money back. I asked the customer if their mechanic is a licensed smog and repair and she said no, so I told her to tell him to come say that to my face or STFU. She said she wanted to complain, so I gladly gave her Consumer Affairs #.

I don't know about you guys, but I do not refuse or reject cars with MIL on especially after business dropped 40% due to new 8 year exemption law. What would you guys do?

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

Evaponly818
Would have tested as is. If prior to the test they were concerned about the MIL I would say the printout at the end decides. Some ppl say ok go ahead others have a little more common sense about the mil and deny.

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

smog frogposter
Test as is, regardless if the MIL lamp is on or not. If  Customer expresses concerns regarding an idiot light that is on the dash you have one of two options:

If you're a repair facility offer them to diagnose any concerns they may have at an elevated price that usually shuts them up and makes them go look for the next schmuck that would tell the customer what they want to hear.

If you are a Test Only, tell the customer you must test the vehicle as is and openly express you have the capacity to test it but it will not pass the inspection and there will be a fee assessed. They may apply for the CAP program after a VIR is generated or go to the DMV for an extension or retire their vehicles.

If you have a customer that complains ship them to the Referee I can guarantee you that the Referee is not even going to bother with the customer and will tell the customer to go and fix it first. If the customer complains to the BAR the worst the BAR will do is ask if you are willing to give the customer a refund and you tell them No. Simple as.

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

With customers like that all I do is hand them their Bureau of Automotive repairs phone number and the bureau will set them straight

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020, 12:40 PM SoCaL92626 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did the smog, failed it for the MIL Light on and had 2 codes. Customer then goes to mechanic and they told customer I was in the wrong for doing the test and should give them their money back. I asked the customer if their mechanic is a licensed smog and repair and she said no, so I told her to tell him to come say that to my face or STFU. She said she wanted to complain, so I gladly gave her Consumer Affairs #.

I don't know about you guys, but I do not refuse or reject cars with MIL on especially after business dropped 40% due to new 8 year exemption law. What would you guys do?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Failed-1996-F150-with-MIL-On-tp5078571.html

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

It has a lot to do with how you explain it originally too. I don't mention the MIL but highlight the code descriptions and tell them it failed because these are emissions related faults stored in the computer. I write it out on the invoice almost the same way but write that the light is on for emissions related faults.

My customers don't read anything on the invoice and only hear part of what I say.
Al

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

Al
none wrote

This is what I do also. Never mention the MIL. I just tell them they have some codes that need to be repaired.

Re: Failed 1996 F150 with MIL On

SoCaL92626
True, that's how I explain it to my customers, I just say they have service fault codes that need attention and repairs to pass. It's just these ignorant mechanics that like to bad mouth smog shops and they are clueless to the laws or common sense.