First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
Just charged my first customer for my newly enacted EO Trace. I charged a minimum labor charge of thirty dollars to do the documentation of the EO database search and the verification of part number. Made it separate from smog check and customer was happy it was done first so if any problem no charge for the smog. I gave all paperwork to consumer and suggested he save it for the next smog check. I usually do not do vehicles that are altered in any way so now I have another weapon to beat those POS vehicles.

Re: First EO Trace

none
I like that idea. I reject heavily modified vehicles. It isn't worth the time. I will also ask customers with "likely" modified vehicles if it has any aftermarket parts and if the labels are there for them. These vehicle include diesel pick ups, corvettes, lowered Hondas, and that kind of stuff.

Re: First EO Trace

KeepItReal
Johnnybeme wrote
Just charged my first customer for my newly enacted EO Trace. I charged a minimum labor charge of thirty dollars to do the documentation of the EO database search and the verification of part number.

JM
Does this include checking the catalytic converter also?

Re: First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
Yep I lift the vehicle and make my life much better.

Re: First EO Trace

that is a great idea Johnnybmee. I always write in the comments section the EO # of the aftermarket part for posterity and for myself in case the #s do fade or are covered in rust , or have fallen off .

Re: First EO Trace

deathbysmog
Looking up CARB#'s is part of the job, really doubt you can charge extra for that. Its like charging for a incomplete smog test, bar will make you refund if the customer complains, no doubt in my mind on that.  The only extra charge we seem to get away with is engine covers.  If i was you i would sell the customer a pretest for half price on cars with after market parts, It would be the same thing, but bar has no prob with pretest.

Re: First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
Deathman

The EO trace is first and the smog is additional repairs. Perfectly legal. The procedure is an important part so thanks for the chance to clarify.

Re: First EO Trace

KeepItReal
Johnnybeme wrote
the smog is additional repairs.

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Re: First EO Trace

D Rochells 150861
Sep 22, 2017; 6:29pm

After closing on a Friday, there is a reason his screen name is Johnny Beme.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
What are you trying to say? Speak up, be plain, say what you mean. Do you like doing extra work (EO trace) for nothing? Be constructive and give me your opinion on a way we can legally and logistically perform this service for the customer and get paid and yes thanked for it!

Re: First EO Trace

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hey what does the BAR tell you? "You can do anything you want. JUST AS LONG AS YOU WRITE IT DOWN AND THE CONSUMER SIGNS IT.

 The consumer agreed, you have it in BLACK AND WHITE. TOUGH SHIT.

Re: First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
Yep. That is why I am kicking this can to see how you guys would do it. We cannot afford to give away our expertise. The consumer is unaware of the program requirements and as long as we obey the law it is up to us to come up with a remedy. We need to provide documentation to protect ourselves and by god we should also get paid for it. The same documentation that saves us can condemn us. That responsibility should have value that we need to pass on to the consumer.

Re: First EO Trace

D Rochells 150861
Ok, BAR is so stupid that they interpret labor charges literally. If you charge 2 hrs for a job, they think you must spend 2 hrs working on it or you cannot charge the full amount. If you just put $X amount you are fine. So, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like what you are doing, but I understand and agree with you.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: First EO Trace

I agree with what you are doing 100%.

I can spend as much time trying to verify EO#s as an OIS smog check takes. Why don't we charge for it? I saw in invoice from another shop once that had a charge to look up EO#s printed on it but I couldn't figure out how you would bill it at estimate time. I'm still a little stuck on that.

I know a local shop that has a sign that says "all aftermarket parts must have EO number labels" He won't look up anything if the label isn't on it. It just fails. Cats have the number on them and it's still a time consuming pain.

Re: First EO Trace

D wrote
Ok, BAR is so stupid that they interpret labor charges literally. If you charge 2 hrs for a job, they think you must spend 2 hrs working on it or you cannot charge the full amount.
That's not true. As long as the customer agrees to the charge on the estimate you are covered. There is more labor time than just the time you spend on the car like invoicing and parts ordering. Shop management classes go far more into this.

Re: First EO Trace

KeepItReal
Hey what does the BAR tell you? "You can do anything you want. JUST AS LONG AS YOU WRITE IT DOWN AND THE CONSUMER SIGNS IT.

 The consumer agreed, you have it in BLACK AND WHITE. TOUGH SHIT.

When the evap test came out people started charging 10 to 15 dollars extra for doing them.

Then the BAR sent out a BAR blast saying you cannot charge extra for the evap, phone line or ETF.

This is the similar.

I thought Jhonny was joking.

Re: First EO Trace

Johnnybeme
Besta

I believe that the BAR blast referred to the TOTAL ADVERTISED PRICE. If you start with the EO search as a verified service then upgrade the invoice with a smog check what is the difference if the customer upgrades an oil change and says can you add a smog to the bill?

Re: First EO Trace

Best Answer I Can Give
 Again TWO different answers from BAR.

 Legally everything and I do MEAN EVERYTHING is spelled out it is legal.

 If your sign is posted with prices, EVERY PRICE, Evap phone call all the extra crap you want to charge extra for, YOU ARE LEGAL.

 If it is SPELLED out and SIGNED, no Judge in the land will throw it out.

Re: First EO Trace

Sadly it is true. These people don't seem to understand the real world.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/WriteItRight.pdf page 10.

2. Am I required to put the labor hours for a repair procedure on my
estimate or final invoice?
No. However, if for example your final invoice shows that you billed three
hours of labor time for a repair procedure, you must have spent three hours
of labor time for that repair procedure
.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: First EO Trace

This is administrative law, logic does not apply.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!