Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Number on back says, 3415. OTC It is a CAN break out box.
The GEN III will not read if it has no power. Using the break out box and a 12 Volt power source, do you think it will now work? Has anyone tried it? It may be days before I see one so just asking.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Number on back says, 3415. OTC It is a CAN break out box.
The GEN III will not read if it has no power.
Agreed.
 Using the break out box and a 12 Volt power source, do you think it will now work?
Yes.
 Has anyone tried it?
No.
 It may be days before I see one so just asking.
Good luck.

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

You have the wireless OBD 2? Is there a wired version for the OBD2?

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Last I KNEW was Opus GEN III is a wired unit. They are talking wireless. The SPX CAN reader was Blue tooth. Never worked.

 If the DLC on a car is not powered it will not read on the OPUS GEN III. I'm trying to get around looking for a reason it has no power.. If I cam power it up using the OTC I will.

Theres a bluetooth option. I have a OBD2 Y connector, I think that might be easier and cheaper to provide 12v with. Of course it looks like something a clean plugger would use, so don't let bar see it. I had the BAR97 and OIS teed together, it was really cool.

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

The GEN III will not read if it has no power. Using the break out box and a 12 Volt power source, do you think it will now work? Has anyone tried it? It may be days before I see one so just asking.
The SnapOn/Sun machine will not communicate to a vehicle through the OBDII DLC unless there's power at pin 16.   This has been since the begining of OBDII testing.   I've been using a breakout box and a small lead acid battery to put power to pin 16.

I installed an isolation switch for pin 16.  If the vehicle has a short circuit on that pin, you can burn up a lot of wire if you don't have your power source fused.

Here's the pic of the setup I use.

Here's a link to the breakout box.

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/obdii-equipment/break-out-boxes/

I use the one in the middle.  I've had it for years.

For you Test and Repair shops, if you don't have a breakout box, and perform diagnostics, I would recommend that you purchase one from AES.  It has leds on the pins, giving you a visual clue as to what's happening on that particular circuit.

https://www.aeswave.com/AES-LineSPI-SMART-BOB-p8754.html

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Scanner, as always YOU IS DA MAN.

 Didn't even think that it should be fused. Thank you.

 Thanks all. What I was looking for and found, There is no set up you can buy. You need to make one up. It will work,
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Best Answer I Can Give
 YES IT WILL WORK.  Just did one.
Use the break out block and give it 12 V battery power.

 Again thanks for the reminder about a fuse.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

D wrote
Theres a bluetooth option. I have a OBD2 Y connector, I think that might be easier and cheaper to provide 12v with. Of course it looks like something a clean plugger would use, so don't let bar see it. I had the BAR97 and OIS teed together, it was really cool.
So with a Y connect to the dad to receive power?

Re: Fixing a Opus problem with a OTC.

Able
I use one of those jump starter box (jump N go) for dead battery. It has a 12v output. Works every time.

But the gen3 comes with alligator clips for the batteries. I used it and it works too. But I like my setup better because there's less wires.