Former BAR REP posted in new guy introduce self thread

Former BAR REP posted in new guy introduce self thread

No One
His post below

This post was updated on Nov 20, 2020; 1:34pm.
I’ve been poking around the board and at the risk of receiving a lot of incoming fire I decided to jump on and say a few things.

Some may not believe it but BAR isn’t against most (if not all) of you guys. Most BAR reps just want things done right and according to proper procedure. They are really on the side of the ones that do it right. If you ever read a filing against a shop, you’ll find that usually one of the allegations is “unfair business practices” because it is. A dirty shop or technician is unfair to those that try to do it right. Most, if not all BAR reps have experience in the industry, some have owned shops, and we know, flat out know, how hard it is to run a shop.

BAR reps don’t make the regulations and there are many regs that even the reps think are stupid (like a test only required to check cats). How is that even possible when a lifting device isn’t even a required tool? I was still working when that reg came out. The reps in my field office got together and decided not to enforce it because it was flat out stupid. Again, field reps don’t make the regs and in most cases aren’t even consulted. That stuff comes from Sacramento.

When undercover cars are run against a specific shop its for a reason, most often because the VID data doesn’t seem to make sense. For instance, the average fail rate in your area is 20% (I’m just making up numbers here) but a certain shop passes 97%. It could be real or not but the only way to verify it is to run a car. If in a certain area the failure rate for timing is 6-8% but one shop has a failure rate of 1%, I can almost guarantee a car will be run. Only cars with proper ignition timing go to that shop? Highly unlikely. The UC cars are usually set up so whatever failure present is OBVIOUS. If I ran a car and got a positive hit it could be that the tech was having a bad day or it could be their normal way of doing business. If I ran a second car and got a positive then I know there is a problem that needs to be addressed, it’s their normal way of doing business. If the first run was positive but the second negative I’d definitely be having a chat with the tech and shop owner because a vehicle had an illegal cert issued.

There are lots of threads I could reply to and correct misinformation but what I’m trying to say here is that most BAR reps just want a level playing field for everyone. Unless you’re intentionally doing things wrong you shouldn’t fear them. Some advice? Get to know your BAR rep. I had a working relationship with many shops. I knew the techs and owners. If you make an occasional mistake (we all do) and miss something, especially if a cert was issued, call your rep and let him/her know. Chances are that the rep already knows or will know. If the tech was proactive and called me, in most cases I’d tell him to get the car back for retesting and to be more careful. I’d still keep an eye out for awhile but it builds credibility for the tech. I wasn’t all that concerned with a mistake unless it was the exact same mistake.

I could tell you story after story about dirtbag shops and technicians that I’ve encountered. I’ve even walked into shops that were clean piping right as I entered. Those guys I had absolutely no problem taking out. I never wanted to take out anyone that was trying to do it right but made a rare mistake. Nobody is right 100% of the time. I was only interested in fixing the problem.

There are good BAR reps and some bad ones, just like any other industry. I never liked going to a shop that had a prior encounter with an ahole rep. It made things more difficult than it had to be for me as they already hated me and didn’t even know me. If you ever have a bad encounter with a BAR rep, call your local field office and speak to the supervisor. They don’t like negative reports from the field and will address it, I promise you.

Finally, don’t fear BAR if you’re doing it right. BAR is clear that they work for both the consumer and the industry.

I’m gonna go hide in my bunker now 😁

Re: Former BAR REP posted in new guy introduce self thread

dcf1ver
Im sure there are good reps,or reps that start out with good intentions, however it seems that after a few years they become bureaucrats and no longer care.

I dont doubt the smog industry is filled with a lot of trash tho. Seems like  many individuals see this as a get rich quick scheme, by cheating and also there are a lot of individuals that dont cheat,but have never wrenched on a vehicle in any meaningful way.

 I think that should be a requirement. A lot of people who post here and on FB dont even seem to have a simple grasp of how automotive systems work and are totally lost on the simplest of issues. Its why many of them get fined.

I dont hate the BAR, but to me(and many others I imagine) they are simply a faceless entity out to get us, because they have no representative that normally interacts with us anywhere. In the online age, they should be out here.

People respected Rocky when he was around, he provided much needed answers. Im sure other reps can earn that ssme respect if they bother to interact with us.......

Re: Former BAR REP posted in new guy introduce self thread

WealdstoneRaider
Unless you’re intentionally doing things wrong you shouldn’t fear them

Like the one's whining of the upcoming fingerprint/handprint & camera proposal
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya