Fuel Cap Question

FiendFX
"Fuel Evaporative System (EVAP) - Gasoline
Inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect the fuel evaporative
system. Visual inspection of the fuel cap is considered part of the Fuel Cap Integrity Test
detailed in Section 1.4.5, therefore is not required on 1996 and newer model year vehicles."

So are we still required to check the gas cap? Are you guys gonna fail if the seal is cracked? It also doesn't say to check and there is no longer an option on the new BAR97?

Re: Fuel Cap Question

Best Answer I Can Give
 My answer is YES. It is still part of the Fuel Evap system. Cracked hose = FAIL. Cracked O Ring = FAIL.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Fuel Cap Question

I just thought of something...is removing the cap disassembly?

Re: Fuel Cap Question

Book say no disassemble, no visual inspect so I follow orders and have not failed a gas cap on 96+ since the change. I check to see if it is there out of curiosity, and if there is an EVAP code I do a courtesy visual and functional free of charge.

Re: Fuel Cap Question

StarTech
Fuel cap is part of the EVAP system. I check all 96+ fuel caps visually. You're not disassembling the gas cap, you're unfastening it. You don't disassemble your seat belt, you unfasten it.

Re: Fuel Cap Question

Troll
We stock gas caps.  Will fail for bad seal,but will sell them new one if that's only fail.

Re: Fuel Cap Question

Thick6
I do same as D and just make sure gas cap is there, except for the 3 prong Ford caps cuz so many of the filler necks are cracked or chipped and I fail them for that. But BAR says the OBD2 will set a code if the EVAP isn't functioning correctly, we all no hardly any 96 to 99 vehicle catches an EVAP leak.

Re: Fuel Cap Question

909Wrench
I'm with D.  Failing a 1996+ vehicle for the gas cap (unless it's missing) is no different than failing a 1996+ vehicle for ignition timing or any vehicle for the fuel pipe restrictor.  The procedures manual is pretty clear.