Functional Evap Test

BayAreaSmogTech
Does anyone have a link to the BAR website where it shows which year and model vehicles are exempt from the evap test? I know the evap tester originally came with a disk that a lot of people refer to but I can't find that information anywhere on the BAR website.

Re: Functional Evap Test

Kevin
i dont think that information is available any more

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM BayAreaSmogTech [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the BAR website where it shows which year and model vehicles are exempt from the evap test? I know the evap tester originally came with a disk that a lot of people refer to but I can't find that information anywhere on the BAR website.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Functional-Evap-Test-tp5082748.html

Kevin Casillas

iha

Re: Functional Evap Test

iha
I have the software. Compressed its 67 MB. Maybe too big for an email attachment.

Re: Functional Evap Test

BayAreaSmogTech wrote
Does anyone have a link to the BAR website where it shows which year and model vehicles are exempt from the evap test? I know the evap tester originally came with a disk that a lot of people refer to but I can't find that information anywhere on the BAR website.
You have been on this forum long enough... You should know by now that CD or information is pointless. What matters is what are the rest that is doing as Justa would say.

Re: Functional Evap Test

BayAreaSmogTech
FiendFX wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
Does anyone have a link to the BAR website where it shows which year and model vehicles are exempt from the evap test? I know the evap tester originally came with a disk that a lot of people refer to but I can't find that information anywhere on the BAR website.
You have been on this forum long enough... You should know by now that CD or information is pointless. What matters is what are the rest that is doing as Justa would say.

I understand. I always see people referring to that CD as its BAR approved exemptions for evap functional test but I can't find it anywhere on the BAR website.

I only ask because I recently failed a 90 BMW 535i where the canister is in the engine bay and the blue cap certainly fits. I knew it was going to fail as the cap had zero pressure on it when opening (not an exact science but it's a sign of a leak). The vehicle was due to return for a evap leak diag & repair and he called and cancelled. He went to another shop and they passed it with a N/A for evap. So I was genuinely curious to see if BAR has a list of exempted vehicles.

Re: Functional Evap Test

none
I can tell you from my experience with both blue adapters that they don't seal on BMW filler necks. There is a tang on one side (to make the factory cap spin in place) that causes the adapter to only hold down on one side.

BTW, The CD says it is only a guide and up to the tech to determine if it can be tested.

Re: Functional Evap Test

I can tell you from my experience with both blue adapters that they don't seal on BMW filler necks. There is a tang on one side (to make the factory cap spin in place) that causes the adapter to only hold down on one side.

BTW, The CD says it is only a guide and up to the tech to determine if it can be tested.

There are only a few BMW that fits the ESP Blue adapter. But since most are not testing them, I just hit N/A if it requires the blue adapter on the BMWs.

Re: Functional Evap Test

BayAreaSmogTech wrote
FiendFX wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
[...]

On those if you want a tight seal, do double black gaskets. But as I stated, I would hit N/A for those.

Re: Functional Evap Test

FiendFX wrote
There are only a few BMW that fits the ESP Blue adapter. But since most are not testing them, I just hit N/A if it requires the blue adapter on the BMWs.
I would be interested to know which ones you can test.

I test a lot of European cars that other people don't do evap test on like Porsche 911 and Mercedes SL.

Re: Functional Evap Test

FiendFX wrote
none wrote
I can tell you from my experience with both blue adapters that they don't seal on BMW filler necks. There is a tang on one side (to make the factory cap spin in place) that causes the adapter to only hold down on one side.

BTW, The CD says it is only a guide and up to the tech to determine if it can be tested.

There are only a few BMW that fits the ESP Blue adapter. But since most are not testing them, I just hit N/A if it requires the blue adapter on the BMWs.
I cant think of any 90 and up bmw that i have done an evap test on

Re: Functional Evap Test

none
I own a 1983 BMW and it has the same filler neck problem.

Re: Functional Evap Test

FiendFX wrote
There are only a few BMW that fits the ESP Blue adapter. But since most are not testing them, I just hit N/A if it requires the blue adapter on the BMWs.
I would be interested to know which ones you can test.

I test a lot of European cars that other people don't do evap test on like Porsche 911 and Mercedes SL.
The point is what is the point of testing it if others aren't testing them. There are some 3 and/or 5 series can be tested. I dont remember the year exactly as I dont deal with them much anymore.

As for the MBZ SL, you can test those to if you can see the canister near the radiator. But those I now put NA with no ding.

911 I also put NA. The 944 I used to do those, although canister is not visible but you can still pince the line near the driver's side engine compartment. But now I out NA

The dodge vans canister is underneath the vehicle I do those to but now they are NA which I dont understand why?

What about Nissan Maxima, Previa, Truck Ram  and others that are underneath. Do you put NA? This is quite confusing.

Re: Functional Evap Test

laziiee
I thought i remember reading some where that say if you can reach the hose to clamp it then you're suppose to do it, we use to charge 10$ more for evap before they make you combine it into the price of the smog so I used to do all that car that you listed, but now if I'm swamp or just lazy i just put NA and I never get dinged either.

Re: Functional Evap Test

Technician A
I haven't done any Bmws. I do early 80s benz with the canister near the front driver side. I am pretty sure I got dinged on one of these Benz when I incorrectly entered n/a. I don't test any with the canister underneath the vehicle except the Previa. I have to lift it to do the timing check so I pinch the evap line also.

Re: Functional Evap Test

laziiee wrote
I thought i remember reading some where that say if you can reach the hose to clamp it then you're suppose to do it, we use to charge 10$ more for evap before they make you combine it into the price of the smog so I used to do all that car that you listed, but now if I'm swamp or just lazy i just put NA and I never get dinged either.
Have you seen the example Dodge Van that has canister on passenger side below the vehicle on the BAR Update Course? According to them its NA. What about the Previa, Maxima, and Cadillacs with rear canister and others..?

Re: Functional Evap Test

Technician A wrote
I haven't done any Bmws. I do early 80s benz with the canister near the front driver side. I am pretty sure I got dinged on one of these Benz when I incorrectly entered n/a. I don't test any with the canister underneath the vehicle except the Previa. I have to lift it to do the timing check so I pinch the evap line also.
I do EVAP on the Previas of course. But it falls under the same category as the Dodge Ram Van. BAR states its NA.

Re: Functional Evap Test

laziiee
I still do all of them, even the maxima with the canister in the rear, but like you can see here  it really don't matter if u do them or not cause it doesn't ding you, so it's up to your discretion i guess.

Re: Functional Evap Test

FiendFX
laziiee wrote
I still do all of them, even the maxima with the canister in the rear, but like you can see here  it really don't matter if u do them or not cause it doesn't ding you, so it's up to your discretion i guess.
Problem is if the vehicle fails EVAP at your shop, and passes at the other shop. Then thats gonna be a problem.

Re: Functional Evap Test

seeerg707
Same i still to canister at rear as long as I can reach . I also still do evap on jeep Cherokee with canister near front head light.  Never had a problem
Serg

Re: Functional Evap Test

No One
seeerg707 wrote
Same i still to canister at rear as long as I can reach . I also still do evap on jeep Cherokee with canister near front head light.  Never had a problem
Its only a problem if 90% of the techs are doing it and you don't.