Gas Cap

Samy
Isn't Gas Cap Seal check part of the Gas Cap integrity anymore? Do you guys check the seals on BAR97 or OIS ?

Re: Gas Cap

Kevin
Yes I che I them

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 12:13 PM Samy [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't Gas Cap Seal check part of the Gas Cap integrity anymore? Do you guys check the seals on BAR97 or OIS ?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Gas-Cap-tp5077210.html

Re: Gas Cap

Evaponly818
No, not for years 1996 and up

Re: Gas Cap

kfworry
We need to check for the "presence" of a Gas Cap.
I think BAR would "Applaud" us for failing a Cracked Gas Cap Seal.

Re: Gas Cap

Samy
I think BAR would "Applaud" us for failing a Cracked Gas Cap Seal.

That is what I am after for. So I can not sell a Gas Cap because of the bad seal  if the vehicle is 1996 and newer?

Re: Gas Cap

kfworry wrote
We need to check for the "presence" of a Gas Cap.
I think BAR would "Applaud" us for failing a Cracked Gas Cap Seal.
I think bar relies on evap monitor to catch defective or missing fuel caps.

Re: Gas Cap

Samy
I think bar relies on evap monitor to catch defective or missing fuel caps

That makes sense to me but there are many 1996 through 2000 did not come with Evap Pressure Sensor. Right?

Re: Gas Cap

kfworry
Yes, There are a few 1996 and newer vehicles that Do Not Have An EVAP monitor.
Otherwise EVAP "Not Supported"

Re: Gas Cap

Evaponly818
Maybe bar-97 but no where does it say for visual on OIS to check the gas cap or even the presence of one. So why fail a cracked one. You must have caught it right before the even monitor ahahh

Re: Gas Cap

Technician A
"Inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect the fuel evaporative system. Visual inspection of the fuel cap is considered part of the Fuel Cap Integrity Test detailed in Section 1.4.5, and therefore is not required on 1996 and newer model year vehicles."

Maybe somebody won an undercover case with a missing gas cap. Their argument would be that that popping open the gas door is disassembly.

Re: Gas Cap

Samy
If I'm not wrong I heard this over one of my update classes that the guy got hit for not checking Gas Cap Seal but I don't remember what year was the UC car.

Re: Gas Cap

805smogtech
only check gas cap seals on 95 and older. 96 and newer should (in theory anyways) should turn the check engine light on if the cap is missing or the seal is not a good one. i don;t check for gas caps on ois, ever. 95 and older yes, but never ois or 96-99 cars.