Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Technician A
Fuel Evaporative System (EVAP) - Gasoline
Inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect the fuel evaporative system. Visual inspection of the fuel cap is considered part of the Fuel Cap Integrity Test detailed in Section 1.4.5, and therefore is not required on 1996 and newer model year vehicles.

I have not been checking for the gas cap since the latest smog manual came out. I believe I am doing it incorrectly. I should check if the gas cap is installed, but I should not remove it to check the threads, seal or fit of the cap.

How are you guys doing it?

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

SomgSlayer76
I still check it just to make sure. I've come across incorrect and broken gas caps that the customer would "make it fit" on the filler neck. I've also came across a few work trucks where filler neck restrictor would be opened up and in some cases completely gone. So basically, it wouldn't hurt to check

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

none
ThePharmacist wrote
... I've also came across a few work trucks where filler neck restrictor would be opened up and in some cases completely gone...
You fail them for that? That was taken off the test years ago. I don't even think the dowel gauge is a required tool anymore.

You can't get leaded gasoline in the U.S. anymore.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Technician A
The functional test was removed but is that still not part of the visual inspection? I have also recently failed a vehicle with the restrictor removed.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Samy
Did the machine prompt you to check for restrictor presence?

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

For me I only check if it is present.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Technician A

Samy wrote
Did the machine prompt you to check for restrictor presence?
No. My reason for failing is because the restrictor is part of the evap system. The restictor is part of the filler neck which is part of the evap system. The filler neck is modified when the restictor is removed.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

none
Technician A wrote
Samy wrote
Did the machine prompt you to check for restrictor presence?
No. My reason for failing is because the restrictor is part of the evap system. The restictor is part of the filler neck which is part of the evap system. The filler neck is modified when the restictor is removed.
The restrictor is so you can't put regular gas in a car with a catalytic converter. There are older trucks that come in my shop that have an evap system and no fill pipe restrictor since new because they are non-cat models.

If you are talking about the flapper in the fill pipe, Toyota started doing away with those around 2004.

If you fail someone for removing a fill pipe restrictor I don't blame you though because the intentionally modified it. I just don't fail them.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

SomgSlayer76
none wrote
Technician A wrote
Samy wrote
Did the machine prompt you to check for restrictor presence?
No. My reason for failing is because the restrictor is part of the evap system. The restictor is part of the filler neck which is part of the evap system. The filler neck is modified when the restictor is removed.
The restrictor is so you can't put regular gas in a car with a catalytic converter. There are older trucks that come in my shop that have an evap system and no fill pipe restrictor since new because they are non-cat models.

If you are talking about the flapper in the fill pipe, Toyota started doing away with those around 2004.

If you fail someone for removing a fill pipe restrictor I don't blame you though because the intentionally modified it. I just don't fail them.
Exactly my point it's been modified

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

If you are talking about the flapper in the fill pipe, Toyota started doing away with those around 2004.

If you fail someone for removing a fill pipe restrictor I don't blame you though because the intentionally modified it. I just don't fail them.
I don't fail them for that either.  As you have already stated, The intent of the restrictor was to prevent leaded gas from entering the fuel tank.  Leaded gas doesn't exist.   The restrictor doesn't have a function any more.    The restrictor could be hogged out or missing, but as long as the fuel fillter neck and tube doesn't permit gas fumes from leaking into the atmosphere, it's a pass, IMO.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

SomgSlayer76
none wrote
I don't fail them for that either.  As you have already stated, The intent of the restrictor was to prevent leaded gas from entering the fuel tank.  Leaded gas doesn't exist.   The restrictor doesn't have a function any more.    The restrictor could be hogged out or missing, but as long as the fuel fillter neck and tube doesn't permit gas fumes from leaking into the atmosphere, it's a pass, IMO.
Well regardless of if they have a function or not, if the manufacture installed it, I'm still gonna check it

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

smog frogposter
Just did a 2005 GMC C5 boxtruck, what would you have done in this scenario?

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Technician A
I don't work on hd vehicles but that plastic wrap looks to be CARB approved.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

Technician A
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

smog frogposter
Technician A wrote
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.
Exactly what we did buddy, of course the customer refused to pay and now we have to call the cops. Lovely.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

smog frogposter wrote
Just did a 2005 GMC C5 boxtruck, what would you have done in this scenario?
I have no idea wtf im looking at here

Edit: the pics loaded now

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

SomgSlayer76
smog frogposter wrote
Technician A wrote
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.
Exactly what we did buddy, of course the customer refused to pay and now we have to call the cops. Lovely.
Let me guess he said, "I've always passed like this."

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

smog frogposter
ThePharmacist wrote
smog frogposter wrote
Technician A wrote
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.
Exactly what we did buddy, of course the customer refused to pay and now we have to call the cops. Lovely.
Let me guess he said, "I've always passed like this."
He came back after the initial failure with a fuel cap from another box truck (we had his truck we smogged at the shop, he had another car he drove with) and did not want to pay for the retest or the initial inspection because "other places do it for free" long story short he came back in the dead of night with another spare keys and took his truck from our lot. We're filing a police report now.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

BayAreaSmogTech
smog frogposter wrote
ThePharmacist wrote
smog frogposter wrote
Technician A wrote
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.
Exactly what we did buddy, of course the customer refused to pay and now we have to call the cops. Lovely.
Let me guess he said, "I've always passed like this."
He came back after the initial failure with a fuel cap from another box truck (we had his truck we smogged at the shop, he had another car he drove with) and did not want to pay for the retest or the initial inspection because "other places do it for free" long story short he came back in the dead of night with another spare keys and took his truck from our lot. We're filing a police report now.

I don't think you're allowed to keep the customers car even if they don't pay. They can get the police and you have to release the vehicle to them and take up the issue in court via a lawsuit. I was told this by a customer who's a lawyer.

Re: Gas cap on OBD2 vehicles

BasicTech678
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
smog frogposter wrote
ThePharmacist wrote
smog frogposter wrote
Technician A wrote
Just in case this is a serious question - tamper evap.
Exactly what we did buddy, of course the customer refused to pay and now we have to call the cops. Lovely.
Let me guess he said, "I've always passed like this."
He came back after the initial failure with a fuel cap from another box truck (we had his truck we smogged at the shop, he had another car he drove with) and did not want to pay for the retest or the initial inspection because "other places do it for free" long story short he came back in the dead of night with another spare keys and took his truck from our lot. We're filing a police report now.

I don't think you're allowed to keep the customers car even if they don't pay. They can get the police and you have to release the vehicle to them and take up the issue in court via a lawsuit. I was told this by a customer who's a lawyer.
wait aren't all customers lawyers?
12