Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

FiendFX
Does it require EO #? Just the hoses.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

Kevin
Your post is in clear try reporting

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021, 2:53 PM FiendFX [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does it require EO #? Just the hoses.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Gasoline-Aftermarket-intercooler-hoses-tp5083156.html

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce
This is a good question because I see them from time to time.  In my opinion, if it's only the hoses I'll let it slide; however, aftermarket hoses usually indicate more aftermarket parts that would definitely need an eo# such as an Intercooler, bigger turbo, or a chipped pcm!

The aftermarket, different colored hoses throw up a flag for me and I typically find an aftermarket Turbo, and or Catalytic converter. Good Idea to scan the vehicle for codes and monitors. The Ancel scanner quickly checks warm up cycles and miles since dtc's were cleared. Doing this helps you determine if there us any "funny business" happening, in which case I'll Punt or Fail.

I'll usually ask the customer to come clean, give him a chance before I fail it. Tell him it's about to fail... You'll be surprised how many confessions I get. Play a little "Good tech, Bad tech!" I'd rather punt the thing and loose a customer than have to deal with this tune tard for the rest of the time he owns the car. Each case is unique! Adapt to the situation, read your customers and never, ever route for the Los Angeles Clippers.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce wrote
[...]

I read the smog manual however it does not state aftermarket intercooler hose so i figure i would ask

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

Technician A
Aftermarket intercooler and hoses are a pass for me.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce
Technician A wrote
Aftermarket intercooler and hoses are a pass for me.
How is an aftermarket intercooler a pass? The emissions label lists it as a component (CAC). Just curious as to why you believe its ok to pass an aftermarket intercooler without proper labeling. I definitely will always consider a component, especially, when it's on the manufacturer emissions label. Pretty clear that it's definitely something that should fail

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

STAR is Racist
Only diesel aftermarket intercoolers require an EO#

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce
STAR is Racist wrote
Only diesel aftermarket intercoolers require an EO#
Did not know this... I'll have to check up on it. Thanks

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

none
SmogAce wrote
STAR is Racist wrote
Only diesel aftermarket intercoolers require an EO#
Did not know this... I'll have to check up on it. Thanks
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf PAGE 49 under "Air Induction"

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

I would consider aftermarket hoses a "replacement part" and I can't really see how the hoses would raise the emissions. I personally pass them.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

BayAreaSmogTech
If I read the appendix correctly, you can throw a front mount intercooler on a subaru and its perfectly legal? I would assume hoses are part of the "intercooler".

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

Technician A
Hoses are not the same as an intercooler so it is gray area. I would pass a front mount but I haven't seen one yet without illegal mods.

Thanks None!!

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce

Thanks None for the clarification. Also noticed that at the bottom of the table under "other" it states that minor modifications of hoses are acceptable. I'm assuming this includes the TC/CAC as well.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

BayAreaSmogTech
Under other it also lists oil separator doesn't require a valid EO. Does that mean oil catch cans are legal? I was always under the impression that catch cans were illegal. I've made many customers disconnect them and go to stock setups.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

No One
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
"The oil catch can is placed before the PCV valve and used to prevent crankcase oil from entering the intake manifold. This is helpful as it lessens carbon buildup on the intake valves. But again, unfortunately installing one reconfigures the manufacturer's original emission system design, and will not allow a vehicle to pass the California smog inspection"

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

SmogAce wrote

Thanks None for the clarification. Also noticed that at the bottom of the table under "other" it states that minor modifications of hoses are acceptable. I'm assuming this includes the TC/CAC as well.
can someone clarify for me on air induction what they mean by "Air flow sensors"? it says it needs an EO#. Thnx in advance.

EDIT I tried searching in hopes of finding a pic. Can't find anything that is clear.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

No One wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
Where did you quote this from? Is this from a BAR page or that "SMOG TIPS" page? I always pass the oil catch can, separator because it is listed as not needing an OE right on that table.

Re: Gasoline Aftermarket intercooler hoses

No One wrote
can someone clarify for me on air induction what they mean by "Air flow sensors"?...
Air Flow Meter, Air Mass Meter, Air Flow Sensor and Mass Air Flow Sensor are all the same part. It just depends on what each manufacturer calls it.