Good time to open shop

alldsd1motor
I been a Test Ony smog tech for some time now and saved up a good amount of money. My goal was to be a shop owner but is it a good idea to open up shop with all these new changes coming up. My biggest fear is big chains like Jiffy Lube and Walmart getting into the smog industry and killing the market... I would love to hear what you guys think about the future of California Smog industry...

Re: Good time to open shop

Mark
IMHO Big chains are not likely to get into the picture.
The BAR fucking with them takes the profit out of it.
What the BAR has planed is that everybody that can
pass a 39 hour class and set up a DAD will be doing
smogs. If this happens or not is yet to be seen.

Re: Good time to open shop

No Spin
The big chains are already in. The question is if they'll get more into the program and if the independent smog station owner can compete.

Re: Good time to open shop

Mark
Which chains?

Re: Good time to open shop

No Spin
all of them

Re: Good time to open shop

alldsd1motor
 Jiffy Lube been trying to get into the smog industry for some time now. They tried years ago and were doing smogs at their Stockton location. It didnt work out because they couldnt do test only vehicles. I knew one of the smog techs that work there and he told me the president that runs northern ca Jiffy Lube's  has a major hard on for the smog industry. Im pretty sure hes dying to get a piece of the market

Re: Good time to open shop

No Spin
They've been doing test at select locations for over ten years. Modesto, Stockton, etc. Speedee Oil Midas  now has 40 locations doing testing statewide as test and repair star stations. Then there is Big O tires, Goodyear. All the chains are in and coming. You've got Pep boys, Insta Lube. They're already part of the program and have been for a very long time.

Re: Good time to open shop

What chains NOSPIN?  I know Jiffy lube and Econo lube still only do oil changes in this neck of the woods.

Re: Good time to open shop

Kriss Vector

Re: Good time to open shop

No Spin
Doing smogs didn't fit with their core competencies and business model. but everything has changed so who knows now.

Re: Good time to open shop

justa
Banned User

Re: Good time to open shop

RussellJames

Re: Good time to open shop

Mark
RussellJames wrote
nope....waste of money
Yep I agree, that's getting right to the point! LOL

Re: Good time to open shop

No Spin
Speedee oil has 43 locations as test and repairs. Of the 338 jiffy lube locations all have the capability to enter the OBD testing program and there have been 5 locations for nearly a decade participating in Test and Repair. Since all Jiffy lubes do not have dynos, that prevented more locations from entering the program, but they don't need dynos to do OBD.

Re: Good time to open shop

smog king101
With all this bull shit. dont do it.

Re: Good time to open shop

locopoco
I am seriously looking for a way out of this business.
Test only program is on life support and it will die soon,Test and repair is whole other game by itself.
Lots of test onlys for sale online,but most of them want ridiculous amount of money,so do your homework
before jumping in.

Good Luck

Re: Good time to open shop

Deviationmaster
Im in the process of opening a shop.
I know a  lot of cars in my area will fail for stricter obd comliance law. Test only not a good option though.
Way to go is more repairs on failures. The smog business will be considered as my side business in addition to repairs so buying the DAD device will be an additional tool good to have in my toolbox.

Re: Good time to open shop

mike
Agreed.
More cars will definitely be failing and you can pick up the repairs to get the monitors dialed in and fix the check engine light.
Question: Are getting monitors set considered a ligit repair or would you recocommend the customer just drive the vehicle more?
Definitely think the the days of free retest should go away.

Re: Good time to open shop

smogsterReseda
every 1 is looking at far negative side of this DAD ,, no body haven't mention that with new machine there is addition of Hybrids, Motorcycle,Boats and other OBDII 2cycle going to be in program (added later this year or after ). so smog program is not going anywhere only bad shops are going away..