Got paid with fake money

kilativ
What would you guys do. Got paid with single $50 bill. Not sure who gave it to me, suspect two customers, have their contacts, don't know should I call them, or just forget it ?

Re: Got paid with fake money

My Name is Nobody
kilativ wrote
What would you guys do. Got paid with single $50 bill. Not sure who gave it to me, suspect two customers, have their contacts, don't know should I call them, or just forget it ?

https://www.treasury.gov/about/organizational-structure/offices/Treasurer-US/Pages/if-you-suspect.aspx

Re: Got paid with fake money

i keep a pen to check suspect money i dont waste my time on 20s and new 100s, but something like this i have no problem doing them in front of them. i had a customer pass off a fake 20 i between 2 real 20s, customer needed to come back for service the next day confronted 'Her' she replaced it and gave me a bs story it must have been a local market.  i wouldnt call 2 customers unless your 100% sure who exactly it is. buy some money checking pens and hang it up on your wall it will deter it from being attempted. fake money is used in waves. so if you got it other businesses in 5-10 mile radius also got it. usualy not stupid enough to pass multiple bills in the same location. usually they buy something small to get real money out of the fake money.

Re: Got paid with fake money

 Eat it? Go back to who you think you got it from? Sure I gave you a bad $50. Forget that one.
 You screwed up by putting it here. You try to pass it. Now it is in black and white. YOU KNEW.

 Smart thing? Find out if it is good. If it is bad, phone the local cops. They will put you in touch with the FED's. Tell them it may have come from one of theses guys. If they are passing Funny money the FED's will get them.

 If it's bad. Write in BIG letters, COUNTERFEIT. Post it on a wall. You ate the $50, sorry.

Re: Got paid with fake money

kilativ wrote
What would you guys do. Got paid with single $50 bill. Not sure who gave it to me, suspect two customers, have their contacts, don't know should I call them, or just forget it ?
That sucks.   It's happened to me.  There's nothing you can do.  Don't call them.  For all you know, they don't know that they gave you a bad bill.  Do you want to offend and drive away a good customer for $50?   Just be wary in the future.

Did you take it to the bank, and they gave it back to you?   It's the teller's discretion.

This is what I use to "scan" a bill.  It will shine onto the bill an ultraviolet light that will light up the security stripe the various colors assigned to each bill.   It will backlight the bill so you can see the watermarks.  The counterfeit I got had watermarks and the stripe, but it wouldn't fluoresce.

https://www.amazon.com/AccuBanker-D63-Counterfeit-Ultraviolet-Watermark/dp/B002JGKTLS

Re: Got paid with fake money

Kriss Vector

Re: Got paid with fake money

timmy
kilativ wrote
What would you guys do. Got paid with single $50 bill. Not sure who gave it to me, suspect two customers, have their contacts, don't know should I call them, or just forget it ?

I got a $100 bill once that turned black when using a counterfeit pen. I had to pay my verizon bill so I used it at a self serve kiosk and it accepted it.

Re: Got paid with fake money

That sucks but thank you for the warning.

I have heard of other shops around getting some fake bills and I am going to order the unit SCANNER showed and some pens from Amazon.
iha

Re: Got paid with fake money

iha
Back in the day, when i had news stands in South Central LA.  I did business with all the bookies from SC to Watts and Compton. Sold them racing forms, scratch sheets and tip sheets. They would pickup their stuff up 5 days a week. Never had a problem with counterfeit bills. The problem was the banks! They would treat you like dirt. Stopped doing business in LA and just used Washington Mutual in Carpinteria.

Re: Got paid with fake money

Best Answer I Can Give
 While you are in Carp. go eat at The Palms. It's on the main drag. It was the local Whore house back in the day. No it doesn't smell fishy.

Re: Got paid with fake money

and I am going to order the unit SCANNER showed and some pens from Amazon.
Just to show how it works.  You can see along the bottom where the stripe is located on the bill and what color it should fluoresce.   If this is a counterfeit, it's a real good one.

Re: Got paid with fake money

none
When I first saw the description on Amazon it said something about different colors which is not a selling point to a color blind guy. It also had a really small picture. Under the reviews it had better customer pictures that showed the ribbon strips are in different locations which works well for me.

Re: Got paid with fake money

I usually check the old $50 and $100 bills. Always check for the strip. If there is no strip, you can reject it. Although some old bills doesn't have a strip at a certain year.

Re: Got paid with fake money

none
Here is a link from the treasury that help to know more ways to identify counterfeit bills.
https://www.uscurrency.gov/denominations/100

Click "watch video" about each bill for a silent tutorial.

Re: Got paid with fake money

Have it checked,  but a lot of older bills look different and don't have holograms. I  had an employee convinced they had received an a face when it was just a very old bill in like new condition and because of there young age never had seen the older bill.