Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

MikesFB6
So lately I’ve been working at a Test&Repair station that’s not STAR, nor do they want to be  Not sure why but anyways....I tested a 98 Chevy motor home that failed for HCs @ 500ppm and was deemed a gross polluter. My question is will I be able to repair it and retest it or does it automatically need to go to a Star station now that it failed? I’ve never really had to pay attention to STAR because I’ve always been at a STAR station. Boss man brought it up and got me thinking. Thanks in advanced.

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

WealdstoneRaider
 Yes will most likely require a star test now. Punch in the info on the bar 97 to find out.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

You can repair it and pretest to verify your repair if you want, but since it GP'd, it's supposed to go to a STAR station to get certified.   Will the EIS allow you to certify it anyways? Maybe, but I wouldn't.

If you're a non-STAR T&R and you get an older vehicle rolling in that's not directed, these are a good candidate (the only candidate IMO) for a pre-test. That way, if it fails you can fix it AND certify it.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

Did it fail as a G/P on a pre-test or a regular test? If it was a regular test I'm sure it will have to be certified at a STAR station.
You can check by plugging the lic. plate number here. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

kfworry
My experience tells me if a Non-STAR, non-directed vehicle Gross pollutes during
an Official Smog Test it Will Be directed to a STAR Station for its
follow up Smog Test and Certificate.
A Non-STAR Test & Repair Can Diagnose and Repair And perform
a Pre-Test No Problem.

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ref or STAR. Yes you can do the repair.

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

805smogtech
if you gross polluted it and you aren't star, they have to go to a star for their next check. or the ref as besta mentioned

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

MikesFB6
Thanks guys, I let boss know in the morning that I was wrong. The vehicle history ended up confirming that It’s now STAR. Oh well, the shop could be STAR, they just choose not to.

Re: Gross polluter, Test&Repair, not Star.

Yes, will need to goto star repair station

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020, 6:49 PM MikesFB6 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So lately I’ve been working at a Test&Repair station that’s not STAR, nor do they want to be  Not sure why but anyways....I tested a 98 Chevy motor home that failed for HCs @ 500ppm and was deemed a gross polluter. My question is will I be able to repair it and retest it or does it automatically need to go to a Star station? I’ve never really had to pay attention to STAR because I’ve always been at a STAR station. Boss man brought it up and got me thinking. Thanks in advanced.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Gross-polluter-Test-Repair-not-Star-tp5078502.html