HOw would you do this vehicle

Karupt
Help , i got a 94 Chevy Silverado with a BAR REferee label of 2013 that started with a "N" .
the ref label is for a 2004 Chevy silverado , the choices on the smog machine are only 5.7 or 7.4 .the truck has a 6.0 which was offered for that year .
   I was going to do it on the OIS with a notation of the REF label . HOWEVER since BAR is quick to issue citations for "wrong test done " i rejected it . NOW , can someone tell me how they would have handled this scenario ? I did not want to call BAR due to long telephone wait .
  BAR does not mention how to do these vehicles AT ALL anywhere ! Help , (plus he is my friend) and i nobody will do his truck .

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

ThePharmacist-2

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

loptru
"If a technician is unsure of whether to perform a BAR-97 test or an OIS test on a vehicle, they should attempt an OIS test first. The OIS software will determine if the OIS is the correct analyzer to test the vehicle. Please note that Diesel vehicles should always be inspected on the OIS analyzer regardless of whether or not they are OBD II equipped."

http://www.bar.ca.gov/PubWebQuery/EtBlast/PrintMsg.aspx?QryMessageKey=46784

Test the vehicle on the OIS , if there is no certificate being issued, then you can test it on BAR 97.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Smogtech
 I would like to test with bar ios if it take it .   But I believe it will tell you to do bar97

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Personally I would do it on the BAR97. You could start on OIS and wait for it to kick you off if you want. When it asks if it CAL,FED, or BAR label, I would enter the BAR label number and then you enter the engine size. It still will not ask for an OBDII test in my experience.

That is just how I would do it and I am not saying it is the right way but seems right to me.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

timmy
I agree with none, I recently smogged a 1993 Miata BAR'd with a 2002 2.0L Honda engine change. Tested it on the dyno and it didn't ask for an OBD2 test, just MIL check. I didn't even do an EVAP test because the canister was under the car, not in the engine bay where it usual is, didn't even get dinged for it.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

deathbysmog
I had a 99 subi with a 2002 motor swap with a BAR label, i was not sure what platform to use IOS or BAR97, so i called the local field office. Mr.bar guy said that's a good question, i have no idea, send it to the ref.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

defective
BAR-97.  OIS wont let you continue after decoding the year on the VIN.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

locopoco
The Vin number won't change regardless of what year engine you put in,so It's a BAR 97 test.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

kfworry
locopoco is 100% right!!
BAR 97 test for a 1994 regardless of what model year engine it has now.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

defective is also 100% correct.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Best Answer I Can Give
 My deal is start on OIS and then when it kicks you out do a ASM. Now when BAR hassles you, "Look OIS said ASM"

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Karupt
Besta, Defective , Pharmacist ,loco , and KFworry , None , thankyou ! That is the way i started out , scanned the BAR label which it would not scan ,so entered BAR ref label manually , it then had the options already , ie:94 chevy silverado ,then when the year came it (bar-97) gave me option of 5.7 l or 7.4 l . Thats when i decided the BAR label is out of date . NO 6.0 l , i thought it safer to bounce it .
   DBS ,NO answer ? I would have told them that is unacceptable and they should get a write up for being ignorant . Of course we are all scared of BAR , they might target us as retaliation . I wish we could have a complaint department .

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

none
Karupt wrote
,then when the year came it (bar-97) gave me option of 5.7 l or 7.4 l .
On ESP you can click on either one and when the next screen pops up that reads gasoline, automatic, and 8 cyl. you can enter 6.0L instead of 7.4L in that box. The next screen will say there is no match and you just continue on. Entering the BAR label number will not make it remember the engine size to next time though.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Smogtech
none Right.  I correct it often civic 1.5l and 1.6l   toyotas 1.6 and 1.8l  lot of tech just do whatever is there another rear wheel drive and front wheel drive.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

How can you guys tell the difference between a 4A-FE and a 7A-FE if all the labels are missing?

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

Umbrella Coorperation

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

thanks, NONE and smogtech . The majority on here say test on BAR 97 ,or start on OIS then go to BAR 97 ,i shouldve manually entered the 6.0 liter and then proceeded . Its been so long since I saw a engine change , thanks all of yous.Have a great weekend , make it last !

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

smog man
Since it's a 94 model year vehicle, according to the VIN, it has to go on the BAR 97. I believe the OIS would reject it, and make you to test it on the BAR 97 anyhow. Hope BAR takes into consideration, that it has a BAR label, and newer engine. And doesn't ding you for not checking timing.

Re: HOw would you do this vehicle

timmy
barrym95838 wrote
How can you guys tell the difference between a 4A-FE and a 7A-FE if all the labels are missing?

It's stamped on the engine block right below the #4 exhaust collector. I usually use a rag and wipe the block down to see a "4A" or "7A". In this case this is a 5A-FE
12