Help....Modifided or ok

simpleman510

2003 chevy siverado 5.3 do you guys think I did the correct thing in doing a tamper fail?...had k&n sticker but k&n has no intakes that look similar to it?

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

defective

Cant really tell by the pics you posted, but K&N offers their intakes polished too.

77-3021KP

D-269-29

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

I agree with you. That is NOT a K&N. I would fail it.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

simpleman510
it honestly looked like an ebay intake , the rubber elbow that goes to throttle body was real flimsy

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Your pictures are too small.. But I had to guess, it's probably a fake polished intake with a real k&n filter thats it..

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Best Answer I Can Give
 Yes it is most likely a FAKE.

 Trouble I see with a lot of you guys you want to be a Detective.
We are just plain old beat cops.

 The vehicle comes in with a EO#. That number is a GOOD EO#. You are not required to go to the K&N site and verify it.
The number was a legal K&N EO#.
 Last I knew was, check the AQMD data base, the EO# matches and your good.

 You have proof. You checked it against a "KNOWN" good data base. It said the number was approve. YOU ARE CLEAR.

 This whole thing, maybe you guys don't get it. THE BAR CAN'T DO SHIT, if you have some way of where you got your info from.
Pulling it out of your ass, don't count. Walker Exhaust, that is a good known source.
You pulled a number off of the intake. The number matched one that AQMD said was good. You did your job, your job is not to play Detective and track crap down.

 Pass it, move on make a happy camper, a repeat. You are now making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You did what they want, you checked the number and the number was good, PASS

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Smogtech
You said sticker.  k&n sticker only? not part# or eo#?   I read somewhere it must have k&n air filter or aem unit must have aem air filter.  But I can't remember where I read it so it still  a question.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

simpleman510
*update*
customer came in today with original air box ...I just hope he doesn't throw the other one on it and take it in for smog next time and get another fail tamper =(

I respectfully disagree with that. It definitely leaves you open to take hit against your FPR if you pass something that you know isn't the correct part even if it has a sticker. (I don't believe there was an EO# label on this one) I can see that the shroud around the filter is polished which is the first give away that it isn't K&N brand.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

simpleman510

I respectfully disagree with that. It definitely leaves you open to take hit against your FPR if you pass something that you know isn't the correct part even if it has a sticker. (I don't believe there was an EO# label on this one) I can see that the shroud around the filter is polished which is the first give away that it isn't K&N brand.

yea it had no e.o nuber in sight just a k&n sticker and just like none said when i seen the polished shroud it was a give away to me that it wasn't k&n as well as the elbow to throttle body was real flimsy...#ebay

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

                  This whole post is the reason STAR and Test Centers will not work.

 First off, again we are cops, not Detectives. No where in the law does it say, go to the web site and look at what it looks like. All we have to do is look up a EO#.
If the consumer chooses to lie to you. If the the AQMD rules will let them cheat, so be it. You did your part. The BAR can come out and hassle you all they want. You had proof that the guy put a K&N CARB sticker on the vehicle. The CARB sticker had a number on it that matched a K&N approved number. Simple.

 The fault is not with us, IT'S THE WAY THE RULES ARE SET UP! VW did not cheat. The rules let them do what they did.
The rule does not say go to the K&N web site and compare, it says check the number.

 This is a PERFECT reason STAR is wrong.
Some of you feel you should fail it, others pass it. FEEL,THINK, WELL MAYBE, I DON'T KNOW SO I WILL FAIL IT.
Fuel cap, timing, OBD, you did not do. YES DING THEM. To ding a person's FPR because you think, feel or don't know. THAT'T JUST FUCKING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 You hurt the way a person feeds his family? Because you feel? You don't want your score to take a hit? Because the next guy may feel? You think? You have no proof either way, but you don't want the next ass to ding your score?

                                      AND THIS IS RIGHT???????????????????????????
 You feel, you think? Wrong we should know. KNOW, before we go screwing with that last guy and how he feeds his family.

                                  Test Center Only??????
 They will fix this problem? Really? You think so?
Hell it will just make it worse.
I pass it, but it fails for tail pipe. Person get it fixed, now None fails it. I felt, no, None felt. Who's right?
One thing you will have is a pissed of owner of a vehicle.
Then Barry comes along and fails it for what he thinks or feels is not right. Yep Test Centers will fix that.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

I don't fail visuals unless I can properly determine and KNOW that it's wrong.  If I can't make a proper determination, I will pass or punt, but never fail, at least since I realized that the retarded FuPR metric was the new sheriff in town.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Karupt
Besta, and Barry, YOU are right ! EXCEPT i don't PUNT anything , i guess you are super nice . I would have failed that intake . NO EO # . Besta EXCEPT THE BAR NOW WANTS US to play detective
,they don't play detective ,they want us to go above and beyond and check to see if the intake matches anything that looks similar to say a K and N or AEM or wtfe . But if it doesn't even have a part number how are we supposed to match that ? Is the BAR now going to require matching headers , and all aftermarket parts ? If we are supposed to play detective with intakes but not with headers or God forbid a CAT .,then what is the purpose of the all powerful EO ? I went the extra mile dozens of times on intakes some would have a match some would be the wrong application ,I got a call back and got cussed out because we didn't "properly do a visual check first " on a wrong coldair intake that was a K and N no eo # and no part # just matched it by comparinsons on the K and N website . My question is when are the customers supposed to put those EO numbers on their intakes? Never ? then why should any of them regardless of make ,fail ? The customer just takes their pass and goes away , two years later still no EO .
  Sorry Bear-y i just realized you said you punt it if you can't make a proper determination . That does make sense .  we do that also especially with cats that are all scratched up and can't read the numbers .

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

smwalker
I recently failed a 07 Xterra for some random Spectre cone filter.  Customer states she got it like that used from the dealer and has 2 other passes in her history.  The inevitable question "why did those other guys pass it?"  My fail made her go get a factory air box so none of us will have to question this again.  If I had turned her away she would have just shopped around till someone passed her.   The point of our program is correction yes?  Do not think people will correct without consequences.  Just my jaded view of humanity anyway.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Roger456
i used to work for k&n. That is not a k&n intake. there will always be a logo on the pipe or couplers. Specture does have some carb legal intakes though (probaly cuz K&N bought them out) just look it up online.

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

defective
The stickers on the core support look like the ones included with the drop-in/OEM replacement K&N filters.  The owner probably had one in his OEM air box.

Just did a 2005 Silverado/5.3l with a similar intake.  The intake you posted looks like it could be a Mac 3560 - http://shop.macperformance.com/media/Catalog.pdf

 D-241-7 - http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-241-7.pdf

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

FiendFX
Great pictures Defective.

Question, the hood label sticker you posted, would that vehicle be Federal certified or CA certified and why?

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

defective
Would it be safe to assume its CA because of the "SULEV" qualification?

Re: Help....Modifided or ok

Certified for sale in CA . just those words it is CA car or truck .the Feds don't include the "and is certified for sale in CA" .
12