Helps for the GEN III machine

 It looks like a good part of us are going to use a Gen III. Can you start and pin something that has GEN III problem and fixes.
 A hey try this. Thanks and good luck.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

ESP/OPUS Gen 3

kfworry
The BAR Rep from Hercules came in this morning to put my new ESP/OPUS Gen 3 "on-line".
He's been a BAR Rep-1 for 9-years. He would rather stay a Rep-1 so he can be out in the
field and Not in the office in Hercules.
He did Under-Cover runs before.
His main role now is putting the new analyzers "on-line".
He is Not Stupid, he knows what he is doing.
Once the BAR Rep is done, the smog tech/ shop owner, whoever, does a Full Calibration and purchases
certificates.
The main point here it that the BAR Rep gives the shop a BAR letter
for "Certificate Refund/Credit Voucher" for unused certs in the old analyzer.
The Shop MUST mail the forms to the address on the Voucher, it IS that easy.
It states very clearly "Allow At Least 90-days For Refund"!!!!

Re: ESP/OPUS Gen 3

kfworry
The Gen 3 ESP/Opus WILL take repetition to get used to the "new" menu.
Pay VERY close attention, take your time and you will be OKAY.
It's a "learning process", don't panic.

ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Anyone else notice the similarities?

Sidenote: the OBD com screen shows the tach going to 15000 RPM, are we gonna be testing motorcycles soon?

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Karupt
D, is the asm part like the old SPX where it gives you a very small x and a very small window defined by two lines that are approximately 1cm from each other ? If so , i feel sorry for all smog techs .Its very hard to keep your x/cursor in between those tightly spaced lines .

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

No, it is like a smaller shittier version of the gen 2 ESP ASM screen. I think it's an SPX running ESP software. It still tries to do SPX stuff like raising and lowering the lift every other screen, there are messages but the lift actually does not move. I think the ESP software is pressing F2 behind the scenes.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Karupt
 OH wow , yey ! new machine , new problems . I have heard of those gen 3s already starting to have issues . Thats ridonculous that we are being forced to buy a problem laden machine when ours works perfectly .

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Skanga
D wrote
Sidenote: the OBD com screen shows the tach going to 15000 RPM
In case we ever need to smog check Formula 1 cars.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

That would be fun. I was wrong though, it's just a strange tach that only goes to 1500. I didn't notice that it was 15x100. Maybe it's a tach from a giant diesel?

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

kfworry
Why all the fuss about the Gen ????
I've done 12 or more test on it.
No Problems At All !!!!
Pay Attention to the Screen !!!!

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

 Any one else been near a Engine Dyno when the spin a Big engine up? You know around 8000 RPM. SCARY!

 You swear something is coming apart.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

It's like going from windows 7 to 8. If we don't complain when things get worse then they will continue to get worse. I have tested probably 50+ on the gen 3 and it just gets more annoying.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

My ESP GEN3 experience so far (about 3 months):

Tests:    243
Pass:     152
Fail:        83
Abort:       8

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

No abortions here, although I am Pro-Choice. I feel it is a technicians right to choose.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

any bad experiences Barry ? like failure to calibrate ? and those aborts were they technician entered ?>or Gen 3 wrinkles ?

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Best Answer I Can Give
Mr Barry, 8 Aborts?
The BAR must be SCREAMING at you. I'm lucky to get 1 abort a year.
I have had more aborts on the OIS than ASM.

 Will the GEN III not let you turn the computer off?
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Barry is too honest, no mysterious power fails for him.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

I "Close" the OIS DAD program rather then click "Abort".
On the Gen 3 simply turn the power switch off on the back.
Turn the Gen 3 back on and presto, No Sample System Warm-up" required.
It is that easy gentlemen.

Re: ESP Gen 3 is an SPX rebadge?

Karupt wrote
any bad experiences Barry ? like failure to calibrate ? and those aborts were they technician entered ?>or Gen 3 wrinkles ?
The Gen 3 is far from perfect, but I haven't had any serious problems with it ... just minor annoyances.