Helps for the GEN III machine

GEN 3 non contact RPM

Kriss Vector

Re: GEN 3 non contact RPM

Were you able to see what the RPM was on the VIR?  I believe that the RPM readings are averaged across the passing sub-samples, so you may not have to worry about it.  I have never tried the cigarette lighter adapter, but so far the alligator clip method has been rock-solid for me (I just wish that the lead was about 10 feet longer).

Re: GEN 3 non contact RPM

Kriss Vector

Gen 3 won't calibrate

Able
Okay I had the gen3 for about 5 months now. 2 days ago it was giving me problems. Everything calibrated except gas.

After 4 I tried it a fourth time it finally passed! But took 4 tries?

It said there's no problem with zero air, so i assume it's high and low gas? Tank shows 15psi shop it should be good

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Able
Anybody have similar issue?

Don't get started on the gas cap failures.

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Kriss Vector

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Able:
When doing the Gas Cap calibration you MUST pay attention to the monitor
and detach the calibration "gizmo" OPUS uses instead of Pass and Fail Caps,
AS SOON AS THE SCREEN SAYS Disconnect.
Or else you will get a failed gas cap calibration.
Been there done that in the short period of time, 3-weeks, with the OPUS GEN 3.

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Don came in the other day to drop off two fresh calibration tanks and give me a new gas cap calibration apparatus.  It plugs into the quick-disconnect and has a spigot that switches between the green and red calibration orifices, completely eliminating the calibration caps.  He told me that it's totally legit, and has been the new "repair" for any Gen 3 user with gas cap calibration problems.

I haven't had any bench calibration problems at all yet, coming up on four months.

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Able
Kriss Vector wrote
what does the screen say at the end of the calibration?

Calibration failed
Zero problem with air.

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

Kriss Vector

Re: Hey Mr Barry.

Gen 3 ESP Service procedure #1 for any problem. Turn the machine off and restart it. This has fixed my gas cap calibration failure, ASM freeze and unfreeze, Contact and non contact no signal.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Gen 3 won't calibrate

On my Gen 3, I have my zero air bottle regulated at 40 psi.  My dyno lift and Gen 3 purge air umbilical are regulated at 45 psi from the 150 psi shop air, and the regulator on the back of the Gen 3 is set at 35 psi.

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

Ours ran great for 3 weeks and then error "systest.exe didn't start"  happened while I was preconditioning an asm with the help rpm screen up.  Tecn comes out and says bench is bad and they're on backorder. No idea when they'll have 'em. I have an idea that the BAR 97 spec says loaner after 3 days down.

Now, it HAS been through a power outage, but not during this or any other test, it was sitting idle and didn't seem fazed.  I heard they were super sensitive to that, and it was the first thing the tech asked about.

  Spec says it's supposed to handle surges, harmonics, and at least 12v fluctuations without losing accuracy, but nothing about losing a bench when the lights go out  I'm wondering about an UPS so I could have time to shut it down when the power goes off.  Anyone used one? (or an FedEx?)  Also, is anyone using their gen 2 as a backup?  I only have 2 bays and 1 dyno, so I can't run them simultaneously, but I was wondering if the gen 2 could be slid in when this shitpile goes south.  Don't get me wrong, I do like it (and dislike it like everybody else)  but when it's a piece of shit, it don't really matter.

Kind of makes me wonder what goes on during certifications.  I see a conference room, piles of money, and the smell of ass.  Disgusting.
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

scanner
tampered wrote
 I'm wondering about an UPS so I could have time to shut it down when the power goes off.  Anyone used one? (or an FedEx?)

This is the one I'm using.  https://amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y24DEU

That is the second one since 1998.  The first one quit last year.  It wouldn't charge the backup battery.  A UPS (not FedEx) has protected my SnapOn machine from going down for all that time.  When we have thunderstorms, and buckets of rain falling, the lights may go out, but my EIS, OIS, and billing computers keep going.   I can shut down, and not lose any data.   It's supposed to have surge protection, but I've never checked with any of my meters to confirm that.

I have this one for each of the desktops at home.  http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-ES-8-OUTLET-350VA-120V/P-BE350R  Replacement batteries are like $12.

Too small for using at the shop.

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thanks. reading this I'm hooking up mine to the one I have on my OIS.

 Last time we lost power, @3 hours I fired up the Honda 2000. Next time I will hook it THRU the battery back up. Some stuff didn't want to work 100%. So I will use the Back up as a filter.

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

D Rochells 150861
The Junk 3 lost OBD signal at 15mph, restart and then froze on the RPM screen.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

mikesmobile
Do a AutoZero in manual mode before 3 day calibration if you are having calibration issues.
Mike

Re: Helps for the GEN III machine

Anyone ever get a loaner?

Or did you just get something that rhymes...
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Gen III Change RPM Mid Test

blanksauce
Don't know if you guys touched on the subject but you CAN change RPM sources during the test. The signal has to drop to zero first then the option should come up. At least that's how it works on mine.

Re: Gen III Change RPM Mid Test

Best Answer I Can Give
 That's interesting. Because in the BAR eye, you are cheating.
Why did the RPM disappear? They pulled up another vehicle to make it pass. They put the Tach lead on another RPM source.