Here's a new one.

StarTech
00-02 chevy comes in . No mil. everything is good.  OIS asks for the idle speed test and vehicle is misfiring with MIL flashing. MIL flashes above 1300 RPM and turns off under 1k RPM with the MIL not illuminated.

I already passed the MIL.  So this car just gets to pass with a flashing MIL?

fuck that. I log out. Resume test fail it for MIL and finish the test with a fail. No fault codes on VIR only shows the part I failed it for.

WTF is the point of the idle speed test if it wont even fail the car for a flashing MIL during the test??

Re: Here's a new one.

I remember having been instructed to ignore flashing MIL during ASM, only to fail for constant on.  I would prefer to abort as a safety precaution but that would mean losing money and abort star problems so I ignore it.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Here's a new one.

Smogtech
When it ask you to check mil if it on fail if it off pass.

Re: Here's a new one.

StarTech
really?

That's not the point of this discussion lol.

Re: Here's a new one.

StarTech
yeah so lets say you pass it.. because of the flashing mil.. cat goes bad ... p0420.  or misfire code finally comes on 4 months later. Next smog.. FAIL ... DING.

Re: Here's a new one.

Johnnybeme
Starman

Your job is to administer the test not determine the right or wrong of that test. The fact of a ding later is a flaw in the STAR program. Logging out of the first test to do a failed test cause YOU think it is right? Maybe a flaw in the electrical system? The fact is you do not know. Better it would be to note the observations on the VIR and let it be.

Re: Here's a new one.

StarTech
I'm not going to let a car with a severe misfire that i can feel and smell leave here with a cert in hand with a MIL flashing on its way out. Not passing it and writing my findings on a VIR nobody will ever read. I've been trusted by California to keep the air clean and when I certify something I can stand behind my certification and not blame the system for it's flaws.

btw it's StarTECH .

You don't even know if I'm a man .

Re: Here's a new one.

KeepItReal
StarTech wrote
I already passed the MIL.  So this car just gets to pass with a flashing MIL?
Yes

Re: Here's a new one.

Au Contraire Startech

You have never and neither have I sworn to clean the air. We have, however each and every time we sign a cert, sworn under penalty of perjury that we have done the test properly. You make the choice.

Re: Here's a new one.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Gota Love you JM. Why do us old guys get it? Have we been screwed that many times?
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Here's a new one.

Re: Here's a new one.

Kriss Vector

Re: Here's a new one.

BayAreaSmogTech
You just admitted to fraudulently failing that customers vehicle. We can complain about the program and all its flaws but we still have to abide by the procedures of how to perform a smog check.

Re: Here's a new one.

Best Answer I Can Give
 At the time the question was asked, Did It\Does it. YES OR NO. That's all it ask. It didn't ask, Down the line did it throw a light?

 Under what you put down all vehicles fail. At some point down the line it will throw a light. So all vehicle should fail because it throws a light even when it did not ask the question.

 It ask a question. At that time the light was working as it is to, PASS.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Here's a new one.

Super Star
Everyone here probably would have done the same thing. No one wants a ding on their FPR

Re: Here's a new one.

none
Super Star wrote
Everyone here probably would have done the same thing. No one wants a ding on their FPR
Not EVERYBODY but I don't fault him for doing it to try to protect his FPR.

Re: Here's a new one.

Best Answer I Can Give
The things we do. The right the wrong. Over a number. A number that is just WRONG.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.