Hood Shocks!

D Rochells 150861
Why? I am going to recommend to the SAE that all automotive engineering students and parts accountants  be subjected to standing under a hood and having it fall on their head before receiving their degree.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Hood Shocks!

Able
Yeah, this happens a lot. i have 4 prop sticks of various lengths at the shop (1inch PVC pipes i found for free)

Re: Hood Shocks!

D Rochells 150861
It's the sneaky ones that work for like 10 minutes and then BAM, those are the dangerous ones.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Hood Shocks!

Best Answer I Can Give
 This shop has 4 adjustable. One within reach of every machine.

 Now the FUN one. You KNOW I Mean YOU KNOW, It's a UC with Hood shocks. If it fell on your head and got "Hurt" could you sue the State?

Re: Hood Shocks!

D Rochells 150861
Yeah, it takes a few years to realize all the shit that annoys or hurts us means it's probably not an UC.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Hood Shocks!

Thick6
hood shock quality is something that doesn't seem to have improved over the years. some cars i grab the hood prop before i even open the hood cuz sometimes u just know.

Re: Hood Shocks!

I've had hoods klonk me several times when I was leaning over a fully warmed up running vehicle.  I consider myself lucky when I think about what could've happened when I wasn't paying full attention to my surroundings when I'm at work!
If everyone fixed their own cars, my car would be fixed.

Re: Hood Shocks!

fartvalve
I bought one of those c clamp deals. Works great. I put it on everything regardless.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Hood Shocks!

fartvalve wrote
I bought one of those c clamp deals. Works great. I put it on everything regardless.
The small nick you put in the shaft is guaranteed to shorten the life of a "good" one, for what it's worth.

Re: Hood Shocks!

fartvalve
A nick on the shaft or a knot on my head. It's the choice I make daily.
Matco has that telescopic strut rod. I might buy that.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Hood Shocks!

none
I have these in my shop.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-45900-Hood-Prop/dp/B0002BC0T6

Of course I bought them from Snap On so I'm sure I paid twice as much.

Re: Hood Shocks!

Best Answer I Can Give
 None I have had that type. Didn't like it. Fits nice in a drawer, trouble was to many buttons to push to shrink it.

Re: Hood Shocks!

Best Answer I Can Give
 My BIG Question is WHY? Yes follow the money. Hood shocks are cheaper and weigh less than a big old hood hinge. But is a prop rod not cheaper still? Plus why do some put the rod on the hood? When the plastic holder gets broken another thing to fall down.

Re: Hood Shocks!

defective
Mercedes though   Even with blown hood struts, they can stay open safely.

Re: Hood Shocks!

My BIG Question is WHY? Yes follow the money. Hood shocks are cheaper and weigh less than a big old hood hinge. But is a prop rod not cheaper still? Plus why do some put the rod on the hood? When the plastic holder gets broken another thing to fall down.
The hood shocks are on the more expensive vehicles usually. They assist with opening the hood. If you look at the 2000 Camry for example, the two lower models use a rod while the XLE has a hood pad underneath and hood struts. Accords are the same way on some years.

When I worked on European cars I always set the Mercedes and Volvo hoods straight up to let the light in.

Re: Hood Shocks!

D Rochells 150861
On the other end of the spectrum we also have to watch out for incorrect, overpowered replacements. And unlike the stick offering owners those people never say anything.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!