How Bad To Not Smog?

xcinlb
Just curious how bad does a vehicle have to be, to not smog it? Or do you smog every car that goes into your shop?
iha

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

iha
It depends! Feel like a potential bad review, I kick customer out right away! Safety issue for sure! Kick customer out! Do not think I am going to get paid... kick customer out! Don't you love those customers that tell you I thought this place was "pass or don't pay" and then refuse to pay!

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

stopstar1234
Ya.. I'm the same way I usually keep the keys in the vehicle in the garage until its paid.. but the other day had some guy refuse to pay for a fail for a straight pipe, he ran into the garage started his car and burned rubber and took off leaving some nice dark marks on my nice floor

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

Great question!  What about potential (or guaranteed) FuPR killers?  Where do you draw the line?  I guess a lot of that would depend on your volume...
If you are going to be a part of the drug culture, have a little drug culture.

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

Where I used to work the boss wanted all cars that came in smogged.  If they refused to pay he was happy with getting a fail.  Customers not paying didn't happen often though.

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

ThePharmacist
The other day I sent a customer away because he had spit sunflower seeds everywhere in his truck. He was angry because they were just, "seeds." Nope not touching a car with spit everywhere
Al

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

Al
Cut off pipes on bar97 or leaking vehicles I give the boot. everything else I test.
In 26 years working in a smog shop I have never had a customer not pay. Have had a few call the police on me for not giving them access to their cars. Everytime the cops have told them to pay the bill and sue if they werent happy with the service provided. I did have one customer try and use his spare key to run off in his late 80's benz. So I popped his hood, grabbed a handfull of spark plug wires and ripped em out. He then decided he would pay his bill......... problem was i broke all the wires and had to replace them @ $129.00 for a 49.95 smog check......... wasnt cost effective but he still paid the bill.... If I had to do over I might just pull the coil wire off carefully....

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

INLANDSMOG
Test all as received and document everything unless unsafe to do so!

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

D Rochells 150861
We have the right to refuse service. For a consumer protection agency, BAR seems to have no idea what it really means to provide a service to the public.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

Midnightdrummer
My boss makes me smog every single thing that comes in. Even the nasty vans stuffed with trash, with (originally) tan interior that is now black, that the homeless man with large yellow sores around his lips drives. And of course it usually fails so hes here multiple times.

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

xcinlb
Yea I meant more of along the lines of FPR killer vehicles. Sometimes we get old wrecks that my techs turn away. Apparently, many around do turn certain cars away, because customer gets frustrated that no one wants to test their heap.

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

none
When it gets busy I don't take in 1995 or older vehicles without an appointment and when it gets really busy, like the end of the month, I make very few appointments for those. I charge a lot more for 1985 and older vehicles too. I make more money on OIS cars so I don't want to get tied up on too many old pieces of garbage and not have time to do the easy money makers.

Also if it is a regular customer who I know will be back I will not test it with a check engine light on or some obvious fail until it is fixed. I have had good luck with people trusting me for that and not shooting my own foot over FPR too bad.

Re: How Bad To Not Smog?

Troll
I don't do the raised wheel, goldie'd teeth, sparkle metallic paint job types.