How bad is this?

bayareasmog

Re: How bad is this?

INLANDSMOG
Don't worry about it! Move forward.

Re: How bad is this?

Best Answer I Can Give
 What gets me is HOW? The screen for a gas and the screen for a Diesel are two different screens.
Gas comes up with 3 different screens asking questions. Diesel just 2.
The questions it ask are different also. So is the order they ask them.

 Now here is the problem. This shop does a decent amount of checks. The shop who does a couple a week, who does not really know the machine, is it fair to them to hold them as accountable as the high volume shop?

 You made a mistake. BFD We all do. Did you do it KNOWINGLY? No. Did you talk to the BAR and give the right way to fix the problem? Yes.  You may get a talking to, and maybe a letter saying don't do it again. But a far as worry? Yes that day, might lose a little sleep, but not to much.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: How bad is this?

bayareasmog

Re: How bad is this?

Was the data entry for Diesel or Gas emissions components?

Re: How bad is this?

bayareasmog

Re: How bad is this?

Knowing what I now know, I would abort such a test. I would recommend having the customer coming back, take pictures of everything and have the customer sign a statement that the vehicle is in fact diesel.

Re: How bad is this?

  Bay area , if you have to call your smog buddies first , do so . The BAR doesn't know what they are talking about half the time . If you call at a different time of day you will get another Rep. with another answer . you might get 3-4 different answers on any given day . And then you have to select which answer makes most sense .Besides , they are not our friends . They laugh and say what idiots those grease monkey wannabes are ! They are not trustworthy ! They even might try to sabotage your work and or shop .It happened to me .
   So here is what i think you did , You tested a diesel correctly by the label AND by the engine /it had diesel components ie: the turbo charger and after exhaust cleaners (PTOX ,etc) YOu tested it on the correct machine ie:OIS . The only mistake i see here is you entered or the OIS entered GAS for fuel type . In two years you would have the chance to correct the error OR you could have done the vehicle AGAIN and put the correct Diesel fuel type and just have to come out of pocket for an additional certificate .
  Hope this helps . I wouldn't worry too much about it as the other members of this forum have stated and some have mondolious experience ! Merry Christmas !

Re: How bad is this?

bayareasmog

Re: How bad is this?

As long as you scanned the VIN on that truck and it found a match with the plate I would not worry. You cannot change the fuel type entry anyway.

I had a STAR directed DIESEL the other day even though diesels aren't supposed to be directed per BAR's web site. I printed the page from the history that shows it as directed too.

Re: How bad is this?

I would just like to point out that, after all these updates the OIS still doesn't understand how time works and tells us not to perform biennial tests on 2012 vehicles...

Re: How bad is this?

OH , i did not know you cannot edit the gas info ! Then , do you think gas or diesel fuel type is somewhere in the VIN ? I know for a fact that Fed or CA certified are not info. in the vin .
    D., omgoodness ! you are spot on ! every time i go enter a 2012 it admonishes me saying it doesn't need a smog do i wish to proceed?

Re: How bad is this?

PIDs are not gonna match, that is a citation and license revokation.

Re: How bad is this?

FED and CA, and ignition type are in the datastream though. It's gonna look like a diesel was used to clean plug a gas.

Re: How bad is this?

bayareasmog

Re: How bad is this?

I hope not D, however it happened to a very competent and skilled smog tech once .If the pids don't match , the BAR will think we are cheating.

Re: How bad is this?

I would hope so, but we are talking about BAR here, lower your expectations. And then lower them some more.

Re: How bad is this?

What kind of vehicle was it?

Re: How bad is this?

Thick6
I smogged a hybrid diesel and it asked for the results of the smoke test for the exhaust without any N/A option so OIS isn't all too brilliant.

Re: How bad is this?

Deleted his comments. Did you only scan the DMV paper and not the barcode on the vehicle? Scanning both catches mistakes like wrong paper work or wrong vehicle brought in.