How effed up is this

Lose weight
Customer pays 500 bucks to have a MIL issue repaired, only to find out the shop just disconnected the MIL light so it will never illuminate and code fault never resolved? Directed customer to file a BAR complaint. As much as we dislike BAR sometimes, they do have a purpose in protecting the consumer.

Re: How effed up is this

D Rochells 150861
I rejected one of those a few weeks ago, how can these mechanics be so dumb? Was the ABS light wired to the MIL?
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: How effed up is this

locopoco
Did the customer showed you a work order for said repair?If not he most probably did it himself and was hoping you wouldn't catch. I used to see this many times before, specially on the older non obd2 cars which I don't get too many anymore.

Re: How effed up is this

Johnnybeme
I agree with Loco. Something fishy. Probably had some buddies wire the thing and hope that you were the stupid one.

Re: How effed up is this

joemister
My experience, customer most likely won't bother file complains to BAR but try to find another smog shop to pass their car.  They will complain if you fail their car though.

Re: How effed up is this

Icemawg
Yeah it’s effed up. But As a tech and not an owner, yet I just gotta look at the car and test it as it comes. Most tech’s are paid for numbers not opinions. A good tech will get the vibe of a potential BAR during paperwork. But when my track its my record ( report card, FUBAR, Star score is good) its all instincts and knowing you don’t approve illegal shit so just stick to your routine. Now the dirty techs,,, they have more of a conscience to battle
Just for today

Re: How effed up is this

Yes he showed me the repair invoice. It was from an aamco down the street. Had a couple of people complain about them before.For a while they used to call me for advice on how to fix smog related repairs, and I'm a TO.

Re: How effed up is this

Best Answer I Can Give
 AAMCO. no it's SCAMCO

Re: How effed up is this

Lose Weight

If the vehicle failed a smog and was repaired at an unqualified facility for the failure reason, BAR could get ALL the consumers money back.

Re: How effed up is this

Best Answer I Can Give
 For all you old old farts. Remember the "Sensor" flag on the Citations? The yellow plastic flag that would come down every 30 K miles.
 Guy now dead charged a consumer $30 to clear the flag.
Drilled a hole in the plastic. Took a short piece of welding rod. Pushed it down. $30 later he passed it.

Re: How effed up is this

Johnnybeme
I guess that beats my hot paper clip through the plastic trick!

Re: How effed up is this

locopoco
I rather spend my money on back yard mechanics than AMMCO,or Jiffy Lube.
Bunch of monkeys.

Re: How effed up is this

Common hack on Toyota Camrys. They wire the oil light with the MIL. So it's working and MIL is OFF. But still shows MIL commanded on with codes. That just makes us look like the cheaters.