How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

Lili
This post was updated on .

I treat techs with respect, no yelling, no rushing, no screaming, nothing.

From what I can see the pattern goes like this,  When the tech does 15 to 20 cars a day they feel the shop is not a relax place to stay and quits.

I am going to try base pay plus bonus to pump the pay to $35 an hour.

Let see if that works out.

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

No One
Lili wrote
From what I can see the pattern goes like this,  When the tech does 15 to 20 cars a day they feel the shop is not a relax place to stay and quits.

I am going to try base pay plus bonus to pump the pay to $35 an hour.

Let see if that works out.
hire me and ill even make sure that your customer bathroom toilet stays calcium stain free.

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

SmogAce
Lili wrote
I treat techs with respect, no yelling, no rushing, no screaming, nothing.

From what I can see the pattern goes like this,  When the tech does 15 to 20 cars a day they feel the shop is not a relax place to stay and quits.

I am going to try base pay plus bonus to pump the pay to $35 an hour.

Let see if that works out.
You have to give them an incentive to work hard! I pay my techs a base salary per day and an additional 10 dollars per car, after they do the first 10. so if a tech does 20 cars for the day, he gets his base salary, plus an additional 100 dollars for that day. My guys pull commission almost every day ranging from an additional 70 to 150 dollars a day.  If you just pay them a shitty salary and give them no incentive to work hard, they will have no loyalty and may refuse to work on certain vehicles. I also give them 15 additional dollars for motorhomes.

Good help is hard to find. I have 2 shops and just had to let a guy go for showing up late every day. That's why I am back doing smog's myself 6 days a week and participating in these discussions more

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

dcf1ver
SmogAce wrote
You have to give them an incentive to work hard!
The payplan will not make a lazy person work harder, it'll just encourage them to cut corners. It really comes down to work ethic.

Im paid a fairly decent hourly wage. I have refused any type of "production based" pay plan for the last 10  years or so. However I consistently flag 35-60 hours(depending on the work load) in a 40 hour workweek. This is the type of pay plan I prefer. Others may prefer a production based plan.

IMO rather than trying to blanket techs with a one size fits all plan, you should ask them what they feel comfortable with.

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

His_Stigness
Do you mind telling us what you've been paying techs up until now?

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

SmogAce
dcf1ver wrote
SmogAce wrote
You have to give them an incentive to work hard!
The payplan will not make a lazy person work harder, it'll just encourage them to cut corners. It really comes down to work ethic.

Im paid a fairly decent hourly wage. I have refused any type of "production based" pay plan for the last 10  years or so. However I consistently flag 35-60 hours(depRE ending on the work load) in a 40 hour workweek. This is the type of pay plan I prefer. Others may prefer a production based plan.

IMO rather than trying to blanket techs with a one size fits all plan, you should ask them what they feel comfortable with.
We're a test only so it's different than repair and flagging hours. I have found this way to be extremely effective because it shows that our shop is rewarding our employees when we are obviously making more money for a higher car count. I can definitely appreciate what you are saying as far as work ethic and technicians being comfortable. I find that most people get lazy when they aren't getting paid what they think they deserve. In test only, you give a tech a salary or hourly and they begin to send certain vehicles away and not put in any extra time. This way, it encourages my guys to come in early and stay late and even work Saturdays if they want. And I don't mind paying them their hard work. After all. It's just a fuckin smog inspection.

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

a commision structure is the only way its fair with a base pay, if paid a lot they will get lazy, if paid little they get lazy and angry

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 8:37 AM Lili [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
From what I can see the pattern goes like this,  When the tech does 15 to 20 cars a day they feel the shop is not a relax place to stay and quits.

I am going to try base pay plus bonus to pump the pay to $35 an hour.

Let see if that works out.

Kevin Casillas

Right. I hadn't considered that you are TO. I suppose in that scenario car count is everything!

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

dcf1ver
Kevin wrote
a commision structure is the only way its fair with a base pay, if paid a
lot they will get lazy, if paid little they get lazy and angry

Kevin Casillas
Right out of the 1983 playbook.

Thats why the industry is not attracting or retaining younger people in this field....

Re: How much are you guys paying smog tech?? I can't keep them for long.

IncogLegal
Lili wrote
I treat techs with respect, no yelling, no rushing, no screaming, nothing.

From what I can see the pattern goes like this,  When the tech does 15 to 20 cars a day they feel the shop is not a relax place to stay and quits.

I am going to try base pay plus bonus to pump the pay to $35 an hour.

Let see if that works out.
Kinda hard to believe you are paying $35/hr. What city are you in?