How often do you start out in 1st gear?

1bbroygb
I know for manual transmission cars the screen tells you to start out in 2nd. But how often do you really do that? Cars seem to like being driven in 1st until they're up to speed to shift to 2nd

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

none
I always start in first and switch to second, my co-worker always starts in second and if it won't pull it He downshifts to get started.

It really seems like it would create a lot of NOx starting off in second that would be hitting the sample bench about the time I hit 15 mph.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

jvolman
I always start in second.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

locopoco
Usually I start in 2nd but there has been occasions that I had to downshift to get up to speed faster.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

I always start in first then switch to second, unless it's a granny-gear box or a CAGS 'vette.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

1bbroygb wrote
I know for manual transmission cars the screen tells you to start out in 2nd. But how often do you really do that? Cars seem to like being driven in 1st until they're up to speed to shift to 2nd
It depends.  You can get a pretty good feel of how much the vehicle will labor when it's asks you for RPM input.  It feels like the load is already set on the dyno for the 15 mph run, at least on my Sun/SnapOn Maha unit.  You still don't know if you'll be within the mph/rpm range once the test begins.  That said, I'll usually start off in second gear.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

It tells you to do the test in second, its retardedly vague for some reason and I have interpreted it both ways during my career. My final opinion is that an AT does not try to spin the rollers from a stop from its second gear range, even though it is in D it moves through the range 1-2-3, therefore the manual should be operated the same, 1-2.

TL/DR: Shit be pinging and lugging on the small cars and just do it 1-2.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

Smogtech
I alway start 2nd.  Some older nissans and and toyotas truck I down shift to 1st the rpm low to test.  some porches too 2nd gear low rpm I down shift to 1st 25 mph 2nd for those cars.  Most toy truck will get dinged wrong gear if test on 1st, 1st gear on nissan truck d21 and some porches never get dinged for me.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

This is how "I" do it..

Start in 2nd gear run up to 16 mph, if you see red flag, shift to first. At 25 mph, I shift to 2nd gear run it up to 25 mph and shift it to 3rd and go up to 26 mph, if you see red flag then shift it to 2nd gear.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

SOLO310
i always start in 1st then 2nd and finish with 3rd

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

Just to clarify, I think what 1bbroygb is asking is if you start from a dead stop in first or second. I am sure we ALL try to run the test in second gear like we're supposed to. I start in first and upshift before I hit 15 mph. That seems to work best for me to get it stabilized fast.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

cosmokramertheassman
I drive it the way it would be driven on the road. Start in 1st, shift to 2nd. I then make changes to the gear I'm in if the rpm is not within the specified range.
iha

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

iha
I start out in first and shift into second. Do not want to blow out a clutch.

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

smog man
I always start off in first to get the car rolling, then throw it into second. Depending on the gearing of the vehicle, you may be riding the clutch, starting out in second. Think about it, would you want someone test driving your car, starting out in second gear, riding your clutch?

Re: How often do you start out in 1st gear?

Citation Addict
As long as your doing the test in second it doesn't matter if start with first or second.