How's this for a news item??

Accused
ARE SMOG SHOPS INTENTIONALLY FAILING YOU VEHICLE?

A new law that went into place on Jan 1 may be causing smog shops and smog technicians to intentionally fail your car when it comes due for it's biennial smog inspection.  This new program puts incentives in place through a scoring metric that rewards technicians and shops for having high failure rates.  This incentive program known as STAR, rewards "high performing" shops with additional test volume through permitted access to what is known as "directed vehicles".

etc. etc.

what do you think?

Re: How's this for a news item??

just another shop owner
 Try it

 BAR will always say it is for the public good. DAD will be faster and CHEAPER, in these hard times more money for your family.

 Prove they are. Guys were cheating to load there own pockets, those cars should have failed, they have been polluting for the last two years. WE the BAR are your HERO.

 Thanks for the hope.

Re: How's this for a news item??

Sounds like a good start to me.  Do you think that you could get said what needs to be said in 1000 words or less, and e-mail it to every news outlet you can find?

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: How's this for a news item??

Accused
I've got a short list of bullet points.  Give me what you think should be included and I will put it together.

Re: How's this for a news item??

Joeinpb

Re: How's this for a news item??

Accused wrote
Give me what you think should be included and I will put it together.
I'm a little bit groggy right now (I hope I'm not getting sick), but I have faith in your abilities.  From what I've seen of your post history, if you do your best, I guarantee that it will be good enough.

Go get 'em, big guy!  If I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'll try to help.  In the meantime, just go "Ronnie Lott" on them.  I have faith in you!

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: How's this for a news item??

Update:  Feeling a little better.

Accused, assuming that you wind up with something really good here, is your insistence on remaining anonymous going to affect your message's ability to make a difference?

If you need a volunteer surrogate to deliver it, I'm up for it ... especially if it's really good!

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: How's this for a news item??

FRUSTRATED
Great post guys, at this point this can't hurt.  Whether you qualify for STAR or not, the program is flawed and needs to at the least be amended.

Re: How's this for a news item??

Accused
let me take a day or so to put all the language together and I'll decide if I want my name on it or someone else I know to put it out.

Re: How's this for a news item??

Mark
Ya the consumer will pay attention if it effects them.

Re: How's this for a news item??

famwkidz
Definately FLAWED...

We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is no aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then.

Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee through the state of CA.

The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? I was happy with my car that runs good no check negine light or other issues JUST CC is not the factory one

Forcing people to buy New cars is HORRIBLE :(

Re: How's this for a news item??

kfworry
That is the hidden agenda the state bureaucrats have in mind.
And they wonder why the economy is in the tank!!
Thank you to the bafoons in Washington, DC and "Sacratomato".

Re: How's this for a news item??

kilativ
famwkidz wrote
Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems.
Interesting how did it passed in 2011?

ET Blast # 27944 from June 11,2009 clearly says:

FOR AFTERMARKET CATS INSTALLED ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2009

"If an EO number is not present and/or the wrong CAT(s) is installed, the vehicle shall fail the catalyst visual inspection."

Tech who passed it last time is liable for the repair.

Re: How's this for a news item??

famwkidz
Well then it really is weird if it passed 9/22/ 09 AND 2/1/11

But not this time emissions did but CAT #s dont... :(

Re: How's this for a news item??

kilativ
Schedule an appointment with referee.
(800) 622-7733