How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

CAsmog

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

No One
 -  Disconnect temperature sensor II
 -  Raise engine speed to 2000-2500 rpm
 -  Record timing value displayed on tester
 -  Reconnect temperature sensor II
 -  Raise engine speed to 3000 rpm
 -  Read timing on tester, subtract recorded value from this reading
    Calculated value must be 35° ±5°

 If NO
 -  Check electrical connections for temperature sensor II, air flow sensor and Digifant control unit according to wiring diagrams

Ignition timing, adjusting

Requirement

 Engine oil temp. minimum 80° C (176° F)

 -  Connect test equipment for ignition timing and rpm (see Fig. 1)

Note:     Use adaptor VW 1473 for connecting tester VW 1367 to terminal 1 of ignition coil.

 -  Start engine and allow to idle
 -  Disconnect temperature sensor II (see Fig. 2)
 -  Check ignition timing at 2000-2500 rpm correct if necessary

Adjustment with TDC marker

 Ignition timing is displayed directly on tester. specifications:
    Checking value 3° - 7° BTDC
    Adjusting value 5° ±1 BTDC

Adjustment with timing light

 Notch on V-belt pulley must match separating line on crankcase
 -  Correct idle setting if necessary

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

none
The coolant temp sensor is on the left side of the engine bay toward the front (of the car).

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

CAsmog
Thanks

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

The sensors are also color closed

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, 3:26 PM CAsmog [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/How-to-check-timing-on-1990-Volkswagen-vanagon-tp5081652.html

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

Hard Nox
Aren't those Vanagons N/A on Timing?

No adjustments required  on the emission label I think.

Evap and Fuel cap test with that Timing adjustment also?

"NO ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED" is NOT the same as "NOT ADJUSTABLE". The timing on the Vanagon is completely adjustable though I doubt you would get dinged for not checking it.

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

Hard Nox
I do understand the difference between No Adjustment Required and Non Adjustable. I do agree.

That is just 1 of those vehicles out there that is not 100%.  There are a few more vehicles that fall into that gray area with Functional Testing Timing and Evap.

Did not mean to offend anyone

Re: How to check timing on 1990 Volkswagen vanagon

defective
Most likely 90% of techs arent checking anyway, so you wont get dinged.