How to operate your business

Able
Despite my comments here http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/How-Not-To-Operate-Your-Business-tp5081826.html

I have ran into many successful and pleasant automotive experiences.

When I was younger, I took my car with intermittent transmission problems to a shop ran by two brothers.

They took a look at my vehicle, gave me water and some coffee. Told me its $85 for the diagnostic and see what we can do after.

A few hours later, I was called back to say that it is the transmission and it needs to be rebuilt or grab a new one.

Gave me a price for parts and labor. I said let me get a 2nd opinion and I can pay the $85 for diagnostic.

The brothers said not to worry about. It's on the house, save that money for rebuilding the transmission.

Another time I was at a laundromat and I brought enough money for my clothes but didn't have money for the soap (didn't remember to account for soap).

Owner/operator there was very nice and gave me a box of soap for free.

Very nice people. That's how business should be run?

So I remember helping a few customers out for free too. Had a Chevy Silverado come in and I couldn't do the smog because his DLC had no power.

Easy fix, changed a 15amp fuse and were in business. (No charge of course)

2 years later same customer returned and was very happy to see me and reminded me of how I helped him.

Re: How to operate your business

user7112
This one time a real square up tight looking guy came in for a smog
said he just bought the car off of craigslist and was a little worried about it passing since the seller seemed like a sketchy guy.

Told him if it fails i wont charge him anything.

while looking for the OBD2 port the plastic cover that goes below the dash came off (it was already loose) a container of Marijuana falls out (the devil's cabbage)

no way this belongs to the customer so i tell him what i found.
He freaks out and asks me if i can dispose of it for him

that's a big 10 4 buddy

I said
consider it done

Smoked it with some friends that weekend and we poured a little beer out for him

Re: How to operate your business

Able wrote

Just be careful in helping ''too much'' such as letting visual stuff that's supposed to fail pass. The BAR enforcement page has tons of juicy stories of techs getting citations because their excuse was to please the customer. There was one with a tech passing an air pump with a missing belt but  because he recently opened his shop and did not want to ''start'' on bad terms. Whoops...
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: How to operate your business

Able
God yes,

let me share a story from a pissed off owner/operator.

Older customer came to his shop. Senior citizen walking with a cane. The technician offered to help her exit the vehicle and grabbed her a chair. He also took out a clipboard making it easier for the senior citizen customer to sit and sign paperwork.

Technician saw that PVC was broken and should have failed it for defective. But out of the kindness his heart and he didn't want the poor senior citizen to visit a repair shop, then come back for a re-test so he passed the vehicle.

End up it was a UC vehicle. I remember how mad the tech was in the update class sharing that story.

We all gotta do our jobs. Lesson learned.

Re: How to operate your business

none
That's a great story...I'm sure its BULLSHIT...but a great story he told you anyway.

I'm sure in reality the PCV was missing completely and it wasn't a disabled person.

Re: How to operate your business

WealdstoneRaider
Didn't JM pass a UC Astro because the customer  was a sweet old lady? Lesson learned.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: How to operate your business

Best Answer I Can Give
 EVERY vehicle you see is a UNDER COVER. Even your mother's car.
JM gave me crap about that years ago. Treat every one as a UC.

 I, like None believe the story is BS. If you KNOW, the line is not cracked. IT IS MISSING.  UC vehicle are so SCREWED UP, if you miss it, YOU ARE NOT DOING THE JOB YOU ARE PAID TO DO!

 Now back to the subject.
Dog treats. Otter pop's, and if I get downtown to China Town Popper's that you throw on the ground.
Being test only I still point out stuff I see needs attention. Tell them to take it to the person that works on it. Be Helpful.
LUBE F ing door and hood hinges. Lube and move up the hood stops on the damn Chevy truck hoods that you have to hit to open.

 ALL FOR FREE.  I tell people I can kiss you many times. I F you one time and I will never see you again.

Re: How to operate your business

Its just good customer serviceĀ

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020, 2:47 PM Able [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/How-to-operate-your-business-tp5081850.html

Re: How to operate your business

Man you guys have good memory. Yes this dumb-ass passed an obvious PCV removal brought in by a little grey haired secretary of the Bureau. It was a bad time for me and I was thinking of calling it quits after I lost my firstborn son to an ATV accident. It snapped me out of just performing my job. It is serious when you get tagged and humiliating. I hope it never happens to any of you but if you make it a challenge ever time you inspect you will do just fine. Cover your ass cause the BAR wants to kick it. They think in their hearts that we are all crooks cause it is their job. So I know our job is hard but it is so much more honorable than theirs.

JOHNNY, Sorry to hear about your son. I know this wasn't really recent but I'm sure at times it still feels like it is. No parent should have to outlive their child.

Re: How to operate your business

Best Answer I Can Give
 JM very sorry about the death of the child. I believe there is only one thing worse. Sorry my child has killed your child because they did a stupid act.
Have a good friend who lost the oldest boy. Tom is not the same person.

 Now back to the question.
30 years ago today we opened. Never took a class on how to run it, just went by this simple rule. Treat people like you want to be treated.
As a average goes in the 30 every day, except Saturday and then it is in the twenties.
Get them in get them out. Look like you are doing something to the vehicles. It is that persons time. Do not set up the machine and then play games. Seen to many shops walk away and play on a phone while it is being tested.
Do that little bit more than the next shop.

 One VERY basic rule. I can kiss you many time. Screw you once and it will be the last time you see them.

 Gas audits are back on. Had one yesterday. Make sure the fan works.

 Again, Sorry JM for the pain.