I don't get it

ThePharmacist
Just smogged a 97 crown Victoria it passed just fine I just don't get how the Underhood label says it must be smogged on a 4 wheel dyno when it's rear wheel drive. Also a few days ago I smogged a Mercury Grand Marquez and I was able to ASM it!?!

Re: I don't get it

locopoco
Some of the models have traction control,but don't have physical Traction control button,so what I would do is just start the test and as soon as it reaches 10 or 12 mph it activates the traction and then releases it and then you're good to go  till next on/off cycle.

Re: I don't get it

Why argue with the people that engineered the car? Perhaps it damages the transmission in some way that is not initially noticeable. Enjoy the TSI. Even if nothing really bad happens, if the transmission went out even coincidentally after you ASMed it you could be found liable for damaging it.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: I don't get it

I have done them both ways over the years, depending on my awareness of the situation, and I have never receive a field rep visit for that particular issue.  If you choose to TSI them, just make sure that you write the reason for bypassing ASM on the bottom of the VIR, and there's a high likelihood that you'll be fine.

Re: I don't get it

  4 thousand for a tranny  ? NO thanks i would rather go per the Motor book and tsi it , besides the egr functional is now NA so is the gas cap , so yes , i do enjoy TSI s

Re: I don't get it

Best Answer I Can Give
 Done lots, ASM, never had a problem.
Ee

Re: I don't get it

Ee
Does it say MUST, or does it say MAY need a 4 wheel dyno. Most Fords say may need a 4 wheel dyno. In this case potatoes and patatoes does make a difference.

Re: I don't get it

Iconcur
same thing with Mercedes from 92 and up when I fist started doing smog I would dyno them all day long I think it has something to do with the transmission and certain chevys and fords with awd/4wd something about 20% power always goes to the front even if engaged in 2wd.....those are ois now though

Re: I don't get it

Smogtech
I will TSI it.  if You ASM and failed it.  He smog elsewhere and passed wth TSI.  You most likely to get a visit from PR1