I have BIG a question

dlll
why cant they just write new software for the bar 97 machine. to say dose car need to be dyno tested. If not hit enter, dose car need a tail pipe test if not hit enter, Is car 2000 and newer hit enter. No emission test will be done monitors now being tested certificate now being printed. Sounds very simple to me. So know who is shoveling this DAD shit down our throat.

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark
DAD isn't just a code and monitor reader.
It looks at mode 6 and other data to try
and make sure that it is hooked up to a
car that is running.

Most 97 computers are not able to run
such a complex program.

The BAR want's to lower the price of smogs
by using a cheaper test system.

Re: I have BIG a question

dlll
I get it ,but bar 97 machines already read monitors that is all the DAD dose. So if you have the CAN update for your bar 97 machine it will also now read  monitors,codes and  mode 6 same as DAD. So at this point your updated machine is now a DAD machine also. They would have to write a code in the software to say is this 2000 and newer car a DAD test will be done. If the State is trying to lower the cost of a Smog to justify their existence , a software update will be much cheaper then having shops fork over money to pay for a machine. The cost of a smog will probably go up for the first few years until the machines are paid off just as they did when Bar 97 started.  If you have look around the cost of smogs have been increasing over the last few years at least in my area. Sure you will always have a few whores out there, but when the see the rest of use charging at high price they will join in, whores will always follow the money.

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark
If you amortize the cost of a DAD cable over
2 years and compare it to maintenance cost of a
97 the Dad is FAR, cheaper than a BAR 97 How
much do you spend a year in just Cal gas? Now
add tips, hoses, cables, rpm pickups and if the
dam thing breaks down twice a year? THEN add
down time.....

dlll wrote
bar 97 machines already read monitors that is all the DAD dose
DAD goes far beyond reading monitors and codes. It trys
to prevent hacking and figure out if it is hooked to a running car
or not.

Re: I have BIG a question

dlll
also the BAR 97 machines are for the most part PIII that run windows xp and the bar software is a windows base system ran in a shell system or at best lynux it can handle the software updates might run slow because of the 512k or 1meg ram but thats what we had before the 4 gig and quad core systems came out. Dont be fooled windows xp is a very stable system better than windows 7 and by far windows 8.

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark
Mine is a p2 100mhz with 512 KB
ram that is run in dos off a win 95
base.

You program in DOS?
Go for it!

Re: I have BIG a question

'amazing: heavily optimized by m barry 4-30-98
DEFINT A-Z: hmax = 25: vmax = 100: RANDOMIZE TIMER
DIM w(hmax + 1, vmax + 1): DEF fnr (t) = INT(RND * t) + 1
PRINT "This program prints out a maze of dimensions up to"; hmax; "x"; vmax
PRINT "To get a copy of the maze be sure that you have the printer"
INPUT "activated before continuing.  To start hit RETURN"; h
DO   'forever
   DO   'get a legal set of dimensions
      INPUT "width, length"; h, v
      gd = h > 0 AND h <= hmax AND v > 0 AND v <= vmax
      IF gd THEN PRINT "One moment please..." ELSE PRINT "Illegal dimensions."
   LOOP UNTIL gd
   FOR y = 0 TO v + 1: FOR x = 0 TO h + 1   'initialize blank maze
      w(x, y) = NOT ((x < 1 OR x > h) AND -2 OR (y < 1 OR y > v) AND -3)
   NEXT x, y
   x = 1: y = 1: c = h * v: w(x, y) = 3
   DO WHILE c > 1  'fill the entire maze with paths
      lt = w(x - 1, y): up = w(x, y - 1): rt = w(x + 1, y): dn = w(x, y + 1)
      IF (lt OR up OR rt OR dn) < 0 THEN
         z = 2 * 2 ^ fnr(4): c = c - 1: dx = 0: dy = 0
         DO   'knock down a wall in a random but legal direction
            IF lt AND z AND 4 THEN m = 3: dx = -1: n = lt AND 2: EXIT DO
            IF up AND z AND 8 THEN m = 3: dy = -1: n = up AND 1: EXIT DO
            IF rt AND z AND 16 THEN m = 2: dx = 1: n = rt AND 3: EXIT DO
            IF dn AND z AND 32 THEN m = 1: dy = 1: n = dn AND 3: EXIT DO
            z = 60   'if random direction was illegal, go back and try all
         LOOP
         w(x, y) = w(x, y) AND m: x = x + dx: y = y + dy: w(x, y) = n
      ELSE
         DO   'search for another path to branch from
            y = y + 1: IF y > v THEN y = 1: x = x + 1: IF x > h THEN x = 1
         LOOP UNTIL w(x, y) >= 0
      END IF
   LOOP
   w(fnr(h), 0) = 0: x = fnr(h): w(x, v) = w(x, v) AND 1  'knock out entrance and exit
   FOR y = 0 TO v   'print out the completed maze
      FOR x = 0 TO h: PRINT "  "; MID$(" |", 1 + (w(x, y) AND 1), 1); : NEXT: PRINT
      FOR x = 0 TO h: PRINT MID$("  --", 1 + (w(x, y) AND 2), 2); "+"; : NEXT: PRINT
   NEXT y
LOOP
END

barrym95838
EO144107

P.S.  Don't be misled by the two-digit year in the comment line.  I have tested it in QBASIC, and it does NOT have a Y2K bug.

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark
You need imulate a OBD2/DAD interface with USB
support. Doubt that is possible.

Re: I have BIG a question

There is no way a BAR97 machine is going to run BAR-OIS  the hardware is just not up to the task.  At least not on my SnapOn/Sun machine.  It's running 16384 Kb of ram.  Here's a screenshot from the PC side of my smog machine I took back in 2002.

I installed Win 3.1 to run the DOS programs, and the memory it's reporting is including the swap file.

Where can you get a usb card to fit in that old motherboard bus?

Re: I have BIG a question

deviationmaster
Wow, you guys have a software job if smog industry collapses, for the rest of test only guys Macdonalds is the best option

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark
I got a Snap on to. I think the new Motherboards have
a blazing fast 130mhz instead of the stock 100. So if
your Mbo took a shit in the last 5 years its probably
a 130mhz.

Re: I have BIG a question

autojoe505
now you see why i dont think this is "just stupid people" whom "don't know what they are doing". i believe there is more to this than that. i would like to know if there is a profit to be gained by those who push this bill

Re: I have BIG a question

Mark wrote
I got a Snap on to. I think the new Motherboards have
a blazing fast 130mhz instead of the stock 100. So if
your Mbo took a shit in the last 5 years its probably
a 130mhz.
I had mine replaced 2 years ago, and I don't think it actually failed.  My power supply crapped out, and when the tech replaced it, the machine wouldn't boot.  He proclaimed that the power supply took out the motherboard.    I got mine from http://www.inbus.com/ it's the only place where you can get a new one.  It was just over half the price Equiserve wanted.   The tech replaced it, and it still wouldn't boot.   About an 30 minutes later he got it going.  I'm sure he crossed or didn't install a plug correctly when he installed the power supply, but he wasn't going to admit to it, or reinstall my old board.

Anyway, it's still running at 100MHz.

Re: I have BIG a question

Wow, I didn't know that I had it so good!

Gen 1 ESP:

266 MHz Celeron
OS/2
14" CRT in VGA mode all the time (except for crashes and boots).
32 MB RAM
800 MB Hard Drive

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: I have BIG a question

SPX has one that can do it for $16K+

Re: I have BIG a question

scanner
FiendFX wrote
SPX has one that can do it for $16K+

If my Snap On BAR97 takes it's last and final dump, I'll give up my STAR status and just perform BAR-OIS tests.   I no longer have any desire to repair the neglected pre-MY2K vehicles.   Most of the maintained vehicles of that era, even with 200K~300K miles, will pass it's smog test.    Those that don't, anecdotally, have multiple issues and owners with inadequate funds.   You can have them all.