I need know if i am wrong or right

No One
I failed a 1987 Nissan D21 Pick up 3.0 for incorrect catalyst. EO# D-280-94 serial# 98125

Now of course i did my due diligence and used all the resources at my disposal. The catalyst was installed back in 2014. The lady has the work-order with EO# 280-94 written on it. The muffler guy is trying to say i made a mistake by failing it. I cant find any withdrawn pdf or anything suggesting I may have made a mistake. I even used the resources he provided to show the customer that I didn't fail her because i made a mistake. Now i think this gentleman isnt trying to get out of replacing it after speaking with him over the phone, he clearly thinks he installed the correct CAT and i feel like he tries his best at making sure he does his job right.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

timmy
No One wrote
I failed a 1987 Nissan D21 Pick up 3.0 for incorrect catalyst. EO# D-280-94 serial# 98125

Now of course i did my due diligence and used all the resources at my disposal. The catalyst was installed back in 2014. The lady has the work-order with EO# 280-94 written on it. The muffler guy is trying to say i made a mistake by failing it. I cant find any withdrawn pdf or anything suggesting I may have made a mistake. I even used the resources he provided to show the customer that I didn't fail her because i made a mistake. Now i think this gentleman isnt trying to get out of replacing it after speaking with him over the phone, he clearly thinks he installed the correct CAT and i feel like he tries his best at making sure he does his job right.
D-280-94 for a 1987 Nissan pickup should be a pass according to the smog manual on page 50. On OBD1 vehicles, you only need to match EO# to vehicle category, in this case T-1 which D-280-94 is.

"For Pre-OBDII Vehicles, inspectors shall use the EO number to verify the CAT falls within the correct vehicle category- PC-1, PC-2, T-1, T-2. Refer to ARB’s Web site for a separate Pre-OBDII EO Listing containing the EO numbers and corresponding vehicle categories. Inspectors are not required to check specific vehicle application using the series or part numbers."

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

timmy wrote
D-280-94 for a 1987 Nissan pickup should be a pass according to the smog manual on page 50. On OBD1 vehicles, you only need to match EO# to vehicle category, in this case T-1 which D-280-94 is.

"For Pre-OBDII Vehicles, inspectors shall use the EO number to verify the CAT falls within the correct vehicle category- PC-1, PC-2, T-1, T-2. Refer to ARB’s Web site for a separate Pre-OBDII EO Listing containing the EO numbers and corresponding vehicle categories. Inspectors are not required to check specific vehicle application using the series or part numbers."
Here's a link to the ARB Pre-OBDII Catalytic Converter List

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/pre-obd-ii-catalytic-converters-verification-list

Edit: Yeah, I can see where No One did his due diligence.  If CARB is going to put up a database it should be complete or else put a link up where you can find all of the possible correct numbers.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

scanner
Here's a PDF you can keep on your Desktop

Pre-OBD_II_Catalytic_Converters_Verification_List___California_Air_Resources_Board.pdf

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

scanner wrote
So was i wrong to fail it? Because the pdf i pulled up showed 1987 pathfinder, so did the pdf he provided. I think this is going to the REF. I don't want to be failing cars that should not be failing.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-280-94.pdf

This is where the confusions comes from. Go to page 143 and 144. Its shows that it only applies for a 87 pathfinder and then it shows that the only nissan pickup is for a 1995.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

Technician A
For Pre-OBD2 vehicles, you only need to match the vehicle to the category/class that the cat is made for.

For your situation, you only needed to check that D-280-94 is for T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicles. Is the 1987 Pathfinder a T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicle? Yes - pass. No - fail.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

Technician A wrote
For Pre-OBD2 vehicles, you only need to match the vehicle to the category/class that the cat is made for.

For your situation, you only needed to check that D-280-94 is for T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicles. Is the 1987 Pathfinder a T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicle? Yes - pass. No - fail.
i just called the customer and told them to come on back for me to rectify my mistake. Im also going to offer her a refund because i made her jump through hoops since the truck should have gotten a pass from the start.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

BasicTech678
No One wrote
Technician A wrote

its the right thing to do. they will appreciate it also

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

No One
BasicTech678 wrote
No One wrote
Technician A wrote
For Pre-OBD2 vehicles, you only need to match the vehicle to the category/class that the cat is made for.

For your situation, you only needed to check that D-280-94 is for T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicles. Is the 1987 Pathfinder a T1 Pre-OBD2 vehicle? Yes - pass. No - fail.
i just called the customer and told them to come on back for me to rectify my mistake. Im also going to offer her a refund because i made her jump through hoops since the truck should have gotten a pass from the start.
its the right thing to do. they will appreciate it also
Here is another one i refused to smog today. 2007 ford f-150 5.4l pick up. Has a cold air intake with no CARB number. I punted and told the customer to get me the EO#. I went to the website to try and match up.

https://www.bankspower.com/c-84-vehicle-specific-ford-performance-and-upgrades.html#!submodel%3D5.4L%20GAS%7C%7Cmodel%3DF-150%7C%7Cmake%3DFORD%7C%7Cyear%3D2007

Only one of the cold air intakes is carb approved. I inspected the filter and went off the color of the filter, which was black. The one with the red one is carb approved and the one with the black one does not say carb approved. What would you guys do?

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

Technician A
I have posted this before and others have disagreed with me. I need either the EO label or the part# on the part itself for me to verify if it is legal. I will tamper fail when both are not visible. If the part appears legal and is missing the EO label, I will print out the manufacturer information and explain who to contact for the label.

Re: I need know if i am wrong or right

Technician A
No One wrote
i just called the customer and told them to come on back for me to rectify my mistake. Im also going to offer her a refund because i made her jump through hoops since the truck should have gotten a pass from the start.
Sounds like a good way to handle the situation. Good job.