I need oil change service and more

Able
What's invlove to provide oil change service at my test only center?

How do I get this started?

I figured if jiffy lube can profit, sho can i.

Re: I need oil change service and more

D Rochells 150861
You can just start doing it, test only is prohibited from repairs and oil change is maintenance.

Re: I need oil change service and more

Smogtech
liability    oil changed    week later hey u fup my engine  hazard waste etc  city permitting

Re: I need oil change service and more

If I could do no oil changes, that would be the ticket. No real profit in it and it is already too competitive. If you also owned a real shop that would be different cause then you would have a place to send your inspection results. Also the possibility of it interfering with the smog business is a risk.

Re: I need oil change service and more

smwalker
Would need to stock about 20 separate part numbers of oil filters.  Buying them in case quantities is the only way to get a good price so you are looking at a good 10 foot wall area to stock them.  You would need a hazardous materials plan for the waste oil and oil tanks if you want to buy in bulk  Also count on  an increase to your insurance rates to account for lift work.
 in addition to about $1000.00 extra a year in fire protection fees in most cities.

All for maybe $12.00 profit per oil change.  We are the most expensive around our area and we would gladly give up the work if our repair customers were not inconvenienced taking it somewhere else.  It's definitely a loss leader for us.

Re: I need oil change service and more

mikesmobile
Jiffy lube doesn't profit off oil changes.
They profit from up-selling all the other products and services they offer like transmission, coolant service etc.
Mike

Re: I need oil change service and more

Able
 thanks for all the input. It certainly adds to my decision making.

Sounds like up selling is all oil changes are about. (But TO thinks the same about TR shops and some TO shops are doing well)

But to add oil changes is a lot of work. From what I gathered you need space for the oil itself, oil filters, and waste.

Then it's the permit and insurance. And the cost of a lift too.

Currently in my plaza typical oil change is $35. That's pretty low.

Its hard to see profits.

If you don't wanna do oil you can still sell wiper blades, Air fresheners, change easy lightbulb, Lyft inspections, get VIN verifier license, do DMV, etc. Doing oil changes does suck but it builds your customer base faster because you see them more often. And when they come for smog you know they are not BAR and you can inspect faster cause you worked on it.

Re: I need oil change service and more

Smogtech
TO/tire shop with alignment 3 techs you will making money $$$$$$$$ ,

Re: I need oil change service and more

waste of money and time doing oil changes

Re: I need oil change service and more

Johnnybeme
Amen

If it was not for the fact that customers have to have one guy to fix EVERYTHING I would pass.

Re: I need oil change service and more

D Rochells 150861
I will happily do cheap oil changes all day if I have a pit.

Re: I need oil change service and more

Best Answer I Can Give
Permits will KILL YOU. If you do a pit (the only way you will make money) PERMIT and insurance thru the roof.

 You cannot afford for $29.95 to get down on your hands and knees to set the hoist.
Pits only work because you have a top man and a bottom man.

Re: I need oil change service and more

We do oil changes here, but our price isn't very competitive.  And I avoid them as much as I can, because a significant percentage of customers only come in after their brother-in-law stripped the threads on the drain plug, and they need someone else to blame.  Also, I can actually feel my I.Q. drop a small amount every time I do one, and I can't afford too many more drops.

Re: I need oil change service and more

D Rochells 150861
Running a 6 bay lube/smog shop by yourself for a few hours on busy saturday mornings cause everyone else is hungover and late increases your IQ, and your blood pressure.

Re: I need oil change service and more

Able
Smogtech wrote
TO/tire shop with alignment 3 techs you will making money $$$$$$$$ ,

I like this idea. I have two bays so this might work. One bay for smog and one for tires.

Thanks for the input.

Re: I need oil change service and more

barrym95838 wrote
We do oil changes here, but our price isn't very competitive.
A 5 qt oil change using semi-synthetic blend is about $48.   A 5 qt oil change using synthetic oil is about $65.   Dexos is more money.  Euros have to make appointments due to the oil they use and the time it takes to get it.  Market price.   It's a pretty much a break even proposition.

When consumers say they don't need synthetic oil, I just tell them to go away.  If something happens, and you're in court, the judge will ask, "What oil should have gone into the engine, Mr. Professional?"

And I avoid them as much as I can, because a significant percentage of customers only come in after their brother-in-law stripped the threads on the drain plug, and they need someone else to blame.
Right?  There isn't a day that goes by that someone asks for an "emergency oil change".    I don't do those.  The red light is flashing on and off.  They haven't looked at the oil level.   I only do my regular customers.  I have to keep reminding my regular customers the sticker is to change the oil.   I have to remind them to check the oil at least once a month.  I tell them I'll check it for free.   They never check it.

Re: I need oil change service and more

Permits will KILL YOU. If you do a pit (the only way you will make money) PERMIT and insurance thru the roof. Blah blah blah....
I had to laugh a little reading your reply BESTA. If it isn't a city job working on garbage trucks, we can rely on you to say "It'll never work!"

Re: I need oil change service and more

Troll
Go ahead and to the LOF's. You'll be buying motors for 89 caddies, 98 intrepid's, cordia's,  all day long.
If you choose to listen to only 1 one of my cynical,condensending rants-this is the one.' You'll fucking marry every car you touch with a lof(lube,oil,filter service). But if you think that I;m insane-no problem.
While you'll be marrying all the piece of shits on the clock, we'll be doing the smogs you can't get to.
Yea-I know the question to asked is"who peed in my cheerios this morning?"

Re: I need oil change service and more

Smogtech wrote
TO/tire shop with alignment 3 techs you will making money $$$$$$$$ ,
A TEST ONLY couldn't do alignments but could sell tires.

I personally would change back to T/R (which I did)  and then you could sell brake and suspension work with the tires and alignments which is where the money is at also. You don't have to do much smog repair at all and if you charge enough it will be worth it when you do.

You will have some money in tire inventory but if you have a wholesale distributor close you don't need much. I have thought about going this route if smog ever gets to where its not worth doing.