If you are young.

Best Answer I Can Give
 If you are under 35 and in this field you are a DAMN IDIOT. Period
 The local City, County, State, Post Office, Fed's, Water District, Power supplier\PG&E Edison, DWP.

 You Bitch about this Job SHUT THE FUCK UP.

 You hold a Smog Check License. You hold ASE's ALL OF THOSE OUTFITS LOVE YOU.
Yes it may take some time. I have had 2 counter people and a good friend. They are working for the county. All of them say THANKS. Thanks for telling me to work for them. Two of them have over 10 years. One will be retired at 55 with 30 years.

 YOU DON'T WORK. Not like this crap. Little or NO WORRIES. Daily I kick myself in the ass for stopping when I did. I have collected $1150 a month for the last 7 years + PAID MEDICAL.

 The jobs are out there Type in City of LA job openings. Look under Equipment Mechanic. The position may not be open now but every 2 years they test and make a new list.

 You have more going for you than the average IDIOT you can pass L1 You know some shit.
35 with 30 years Retired Fat and happy at 65. If you are 40 Fat and happy with 25 years. Still good money.

Re: If you are young.

BasicTech678
thanks for the motivational rant
not everyone who is in the smog industry hates what they do. im turning 28 tomorrow and owned my own shop since 23. i may not be doing it for life, but im doing it for now.  sounds like your tired of being a worker. you sound like the perfect candidate to work at the dmv. just complain and do as little as possible all day. im paying 8k  in taxes this year, but im also on track to own a home this year. with out the smog program id be living pay check to pay check.  only people that worry about the bar are, clean pipers, cheaters, or lazy techs. which are you?  do it right , charge more , be happy.

Re: If you are young.

Kriss Vector

Re: If you are young.

BasicTech678
its alot cheaper in a basic area no dyno needed. it was a partnership at first things went south i bought my partner out about 10k. he was the owner i was the tech, we decided to part ways i stayed with the shop he went back to his other repair shop. but from scratch i would guess an easy 20k. i got lucky found a solid spx machine on craigslist for under 5k. then when ois was implemented smog daddy was financing everyone lol. but starting from scratch with the new gen3 sounds like a headache, ill also be renting the unit instead of purchasing.

Re: If you are young.

Best Answer I Can Give
 All good stuff.
This program takes a shit in 5 years, WHERE ARE YOU?

 I KNOW guys working on the City of LA trash trucks. 80 K a year 100% Med. 100% Dental. Eye glass free once a year.
96 Hours sick 2 weeks of vacation first 5 years. After 5 3 weeks after 10 it goes crazy. Old Boss we sat down one night. He had 7 years to retire. We figure with all his time off he only needed to drive to work 6 years. He had a year of time saved up.
They added that to his retirement.
If you don't work trash 13 PAID days off for STUPID Holidays. MLK day Paid. Trash @$100 an hour. Thank You.

 Young guys. This will not last. Get out while the getting is good. Look at Mr Barry. He wants out. I don't blame him.
If I could go back? In a heart beat. Back to the city.

Re: If you are young.

Kriss Vector

Re: If you are young.

smog program makes tons money/ revenue  its not going anywhere if you predict its gonna take a shit in 5 years why are you still here? i dont want to work on trash trucks spending 10-15k on 1 inch specialty tools. your a test only inspector and complain about cake walk type of work. i highly doubt your ready to do any heavy duty automotive work. i chose the smog industry because i dont want to work in an office. i had no automotive background and obtained a smog license in under a year with shitty wyotech schooling, oh im also a highschool drop out with a GED from a shitty local continuation. i didnt have the luxury of living off my parents in a nice collage till im 26 like most. smog program saved my life.   i could complain/Rant all day about the shitty loans im paying with 13% interest rate, but no one cares!  man up! its Life! I rather smog cars all day instead of actually wrenching and busting tires. i also have a repair license i dont even bother to repair i boot em out. i can smog 3-4 cars in the time it take to diagnose a car. my rant is over back to smoging lets make some money

Re: If you are young.

Best Answer I Can Give
 You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Re: If you are young.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Basic, I worked with you at the City. Dave Morgan was your name. Proud that he FAILED every class in 10th grade.
Dave is a STUPID VISOR making 100 K a year.

Re: If you are young.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

uh ok  and old man will complain all day and night about his job but continue to work the same damn job.   - gandhi

Re: If you are young.

I'M with BASIC, This isn't too bad if you are motivated and own the shop.

I know people who have taken government jobs and couldn't handle the politics of it all.

Re: If you are young.

 Basic I FUCKED UP. I will admit to that. Just trying to help. Stop complaining about this job when there are other out there.

 I'm 62 wish I knew what i knew when I left the city. The only retirement you will get is what you make.

 I WOULD BE FUCKING RETIRED  @ $5000 a month With Bennies. You will never see that working for yourself. The Taxes will fuck you to death.

Re: If you are young.

locopoco
Not telling anyone what to do,thats their business to figure it out but after owning my station for 18 years and making good money doing it,the well is getting dried up and it's getting boring.
I'm 46 and at this point in my life I love me some paid vacation or paid sick leave(never in 18 years even sick as a dog ever stayed home to rest,couldn't afford it), or most importantly retirement account so I'm ready to get e cushy government job and I already send applications to all kind of job openings in city of LA, LA county and UC system too.

If I get a response and hopefully accepted I'm out of here in a flash.

Re: If you are young.

im not complaining  by that time i hope to have my home paid off  any benefits / retirement is better than NONE. your at the end enjoy relax shut the fuck up it not your problem much longer anymore. NO ONE HERE COMPLAINS ABOUT TO PROGRAM AS MUCH AS YOU. id understand if people where asking for a life coach, but no is asking. you have posted job openings and shops for sale now your ranting telling everyone to bail out on the smog program. you just post to see your self get responses half of your post have no smog related info, let alone useful information for the next guy. help a brother out its not all you, you,you. create a facebook page or a blog to spew your nonsense rants, half the time i dont click on your post because they are hypothetical what if scenarios, that never happen.

Re: If you are young.

congratulations sound like its time to cash out for you!!!! nothing wrong with moving on older shops do it all the time. they sell and move on! its life if you dont want to wrench and smog anymore good for you wish you all the luck!! i guarantee you business is worth more than what you paid to get it started. take the first lump sum of cash you can get and go on a nice long vacation you deserve it!

Re: If you are young.

I see I struck a nerve. So be it.

Re: If you are young.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Basic YOUR BUSINESS IS NOT WORTH SHIT.
 You CANNOT Transfer STAR. You buy a shop that is Incorporated, you have bought that shop's problems.

 STAR FUCKED ALL OF US. The Goodwill\Blue sky is worth NOTHING. The minute you sell. Star to the new owner goes AWAY.

Re: If you are young.

I see I struck a nerve. So be it.
negative im just sating facts, your post mostly negative, hypothetical and not smog related. 80% of your 2000+ post are personal rants.  all the useful information gets lost with your rants look at the first page you have 7 post only 3 smog related rest all nonsense. the good informative post get lost because you want to see yourself post like this guy >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re: If you are young.

who gives 2 shits about star ive been starless for 4 years! lmao thats not the sellers problem thats the new owners problem if hes a stand up guy and a proper tech he will soon be star. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT TRANSFERRING STAR. you cant even transfer ard number no shit you cant transfer star common sense. find a new owner finds new tech above .4 wait 6-12mo then it will be even more gravy. again you find all the negative in a situation

Re: If you are young.

case and point your post below >>>>

Light comes on half way into test. by Best Answer I Can Gi...
 REPLIES 0 ZIP ZERO NADA NO ONE CARES

Jul 11 by Best Answer I Can Gi...

Why the Whole EO thing is such a JOKE. by Best Answer I Can Gi...
Replies 0 ZIP ZERO NADA NO ONE CARES

you can see a similar pattern on the rest of your 2000+ post. can we get back to posting useful information and helping each other ???
12