If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

joe323

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

FiendFX
It's your call really. The EO number becomes faded because of conditions. It's hard to make a call if it's legit or not without seeing the number.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

It depends on why I can't read it.  Is it installed upside down?  Encrusted? Damaged? I jack 'em up and crawl underneath or put it on a lift before I fail them for this.  I found some information on install requirements specific to the visibility of these numbers once on ARB's site, but it seems to have disappeared, or at least I can't find it again.  It had the number height and range of visibility and everything.  I should have printed it.
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

joe323
This gets more confusing, what are we too do if its a out of state car say from michigan, the cat is original but soo rusted you cant see any numbers, do we fail it??? in that case im gona be failing a lot of out of state cars, what do u guys do??

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

kfworry
What some smog techs do not "see" is that it very well could be a FACTORY ORIGINAL
CAT, be it from California or out-of-state, that do not have the infamous
CARB EO#. Come on guys, use some common sense.
NOT ALL "old rusted" CATS HAVE CARB EO#'s.
I for one have a 1989 Ford F150 Pick-Up with both original CATS that
DO NOT have a CARB EO#. And by the way, it passes emissions just fine,
with numbers at average, and NO I do not have to "clean pipe" it.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

FRUSTRATED
If it is an aftermarket CAT and we can't see the numbers we kick the customer down the road, not worth it if it is the undercover SNAKE trying to cha ching us with a citation.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

You are not required to check EO # on OEM cats since they don't have one. But if it's an aftermarket one and you can't see it, either pass, fail or send to referee.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

kfworry
Allow me to phrase it this way. Some smog techs might mistake an OEM Cat for
an After Market Cat.

Re: If you cant read the EO number on a old aftermarket cat do you fail it?

<quote author="joe323">
 gets more confusing, what are we too do if its a out of state car say from Michigan, the cat is original but soo rusted you cant see any numbers, do we fail it??? in that case im gona be failing a lot of out of state cars, what do u guys do??
</quote

w, some of these cars from the east coast do have a lot of corrosion and rust. Cause they sit in the snow half the year.