Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

Dgon27
Question...
My employee ran a 2012 Chevy Volt from a used car dealership that had no paperwork. The VIN could not be scanned and data was entered manually.
The VIN manually typed in was as follows:
1G1RH6E45C4115925
The VIN that should have been typed in is as follows:
1G1RH6E45CU115925
The car is now in Arizona and the dealership is asking for an updated VIR.
Any ideas on how to make this right?
I obviously can't re inspect the car as it is in Arizona.

Note: both VIN's the correct and incorrect were for a 2012 Chevy Volt.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

defective
Nothing can be done on your end without the car back in for a resmog.  I would try to find out if they can just smog the car in Arizona.  Many out of state cars get smogged here in CA to renew their out of state registration.  The customers home state dmv usually has the owner send the CA smog back to them as proof.

Any help would be much appreciated.
the test history shows a 2012 car was teseted back in july. No make or model though lol. This means the car has to be retested in order for the issue to be corrected. You would think the OIS would fail for data check fail.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

Best Answer I Can Give
 This should be a LESSON to ALL! STOP being so CHEAP and go out and buy a new scanner. One that will read the Data Metric. The Bar Code on the GM cars.
The price you are going to PAY to fix this. It would have paid for the scanner. Plus it should never happen again.

 First off, last I KNEW was a Cert was good for TWO YEARS to a Dealer. The car can sit on the lot for months and not get sold.

 Now to your PROBLEM. You are screwed if the person driving the car wants to be a ASS.
You need to get the car back in California and get it done. Last I knew every state will take our Cert, we will not take other States, so ROAD TRIP, or pay some one to take care of the problem by getting the car, driving it back to a shop just inside Calif. and then returning it to the person who could be a ASS about the whole thing. Now you could offer money for them to do it. MOST likely it is going to cost you $$$$$$$$$$ Money that could have been spent on a Updated Scanner.
The Tech was not the problem. People make mistakes. A MISTAKE that would not of happened if you bought a NEWER Scanner to do the JOB. Now you, the owner get to pay for not keeping up with the times.
 Yes I bought TWO at over $400 each. THEY WORK GREAT. I don't have to go to AZ to get cars.

 Now was the plate on the car?
If it was the Tech should have seen the Mismatch. You still own the shop. So as a owner you are still at fault.
As far as the OIS seeing the mismatch, No Plate? It didn't know what it was.

 Just my thinking.
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

2002
What brand and model scanner do you use? I'm kind of sick of manually typing in all the newer GM's myself.. hahah

Does it scan all Hyundai's and Kia's? Those never scan either

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

none
It needs to be a 2D scanner. I use a Honeywell 1900GSR-2. It still won't always do GM cars because the windshield may block the 2D barcode and the door labels often don't have the barcode.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

..../You need to get the car back in California and get it done....

 Just my thinking.
NO. We all screw up at one time or another and sometimes loose a customer over it.

He just needs to refund the dealer what he charged for the incorrect smog is all he is obligated to do. Beyond that is up to him.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

Dgon27
Thanks for the input all. I do have a 2d scanner and to None's point, it doesn't always work on the GM cars, therefore we type in manually. I think I'll go the refund route for now.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

WealdstoneRaider
Ive gotten the vin wrong by a few digits due to the vin label or windshield being dirty so I wipe the area clean to scan. Some newer GM's also have the QR code on the engine label if it's difficult to scan the windshield one.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

none
WealdstoneRaider wrote
... Some newer GM's also have the QR code on the engine label if it's difficult to scan the windshield one.
I didn't know that. That should save some time and headaches in the future.

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Also on the B Pilar label some times. About 90%
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: Incorrect VIN Entry - HELP?

buy a better hand scanner, there on ebay

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 1:11 PM Dgon27 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Question...
My employee ran a 2012 Chevy Volt from a used car dealership that had no paperwork. The VIN could not be scanned and data was entered manually.
The VIN manually typed in was as follows:
1G1RH6E45C4115925
The VIN that should have been typed in is as follows:
1G1RH6E45CU115925
The car is now in Arizona and the dealership is asking for an updated VIR.
Any ideas on how to make this right?
I obviously can't re inspect the car as it is in Arizona.

Note: both VIN's the correct and incorrect were for a 2012 Chevy Volt.

Any help would be much appreciated.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Incorrect-VIN-Entry-HELP-tp5083042.html

Kevin Casillas