Inspection check list

none
Do any of you guys use or have used a check sheet while doing smog check visual and functional tests? I am used to running through the BAR97 visual inspection check list in my head but I am concerned that I may miss something when it gets really busy. I decided to give it a try after reading about it from Rocky on CalArc.

I have been using one I made lately and it saves me some time and grief because I don't waste time looking for something that I forgot I already checked and don't wonder afterwards if I did look at the canister or whatever.

Here is a copy of the one I made. What are your guys' thoughts and what would you change?

Re: Inspection check list

D Rochells 150861
I don't use one, I could see how it is useful, but I think having to use a checklist means there is something wrong with the analyzer user interface that needs to be addressed.

Of course that will never happen. So, I like your list. Maybe a little notes section too? You could also really simplify it by having a checklist for the known UC scenarios.

Mini KN filter? Y/N?
No CAT, big orange pipe?
AIR system completely gone?
Timing marks clean but 10* off?

I do worry that over time the checklist will start to become a chore that results in the same rapid button pushing problem the analyzers have.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Inspection check list

mikesmobile
Follow the prompts on the machine. The check sheet is already there.
Check every system listed on the machine.
Don't use the emissions label as a main reference, could over look PCV etc..
Mike

Re: Inspection check list

Best Answer I Can Give
 Great Idea None. Just put one thing at the top in HUGE print.

 It is not a race SLOW DOWN. It might be UC.

Re: Inspection check list

mikesmobile wrote
Follow the prompts on the machine. The check sheet is already there.
Check every system listed on the machine.
Don't use the emissions label as a main reference, could over look PCV etc..
The sheet is based off the BAR-97 prompts. My problem is that I usually inspect everything on the visual inspection and THEN enter it into the machine. I don't check the PCV system and then hit pass and go to TAC inspection and then hit pass. With the check sheet I do check each one off as I inspect it. It is working well so far but I'm sure it could be improved.

Re: Inspection check list

Peter
You can Diesel inspection. Like CDR, DPF, EGR, CAC, TC ETC

Re: Inspection check list

BlueSky
I designed my RO with notes built onto it.  I can change it on the fly anytime...

Re: Inspection check list

Peter wrote
You can Diesel inspection. Like CDR, DPF, EGR, CAC, TC ETC
I like where you are going. I might try to make a check list for diesels only. I liked the fact that the old OIS diesel visual inspection check list listed the different types of "exhaust after treatment devices". It made you think a little more about if it had the right set up and if everything was there. The underhood label on the newer diesel cars and trucks are pretty descriptive about the exhaust part though.

Next to a Subaru WRX, diesel pick ups are the most modified/tampered vehicles I see.

Re: Inspection check list

BLUESKY,  They look good.

Re: Inspection check list

Able
Never used one. I'm sure it's useful for many people.

What I do is section the engine into 6 squares and look at each squares carefully. Looks like a tick -tak-toe grid.

And check the cat FIRST. Next to fuel cap. Done

Got that advice from a veteran in smogs.