Interesting Reddit Question

smwalker
IF any of you are a member of Reddit came across this question today, thought it might be interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/3zuxl2/california_can_i_fail_smog_due_to_wrong_part_2005/

Test of Question:
I took my car in for a smog inspection for the first time since owning the car and it failed the visual inspection due to the IMRC Valve having been replaced with basically the same part, but from a Toyota. The car passes all the emission tests but the guy said he had to fail it due to it being "Tampered". Now, I'm also getting legal advice due to the fact that I bought the car from a dealer with that part on it, and they some how were able to register the car which means they some how got it to pass smog. So I'm not sure if the guy at the Smog Test I went to is pulling a fast one on me, or the dealer. I was just hoping someone who had a knowledge of Honda's/Acura's or California Smog Testing could give me some advice. Thanks for the Help :)

Re: Interesting Reddit Question

defective
If hes talking about the solenoid and not the actual valve, I think it should have passed.  Even if it says Toyota on it, it was probably manufactured by Denso anyway.  Probably even the same connector.

Re: Interesting Reddit Question

Johnnybeme
Not enough data for opinion. Why would the inspector go this far? Must be struggling for a better STAR score? There are many interchangeable parts made for cars and the only ones that would have a problem would be the ones that have approved applications. EO's. When we install a Dorman VVT valve are we breaking the law, no. The rules are vague in this area for a reason. If a changed part is required to have a EO number then it better be right. If the changed part is properly installed and the correct application how can you fail it? What premise do you use? OMG there might be a Honda part on an ACURA oh no............................................................................. I install denso oxygen sensors all the time on GM's whoops maybe I have said too much......................................

JM