Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

Smogtalk
Is checking for emission related DTCs part my (the tech) job?
Sometimes i get vehicles with DTCs STORED for cats, evap and other emission related codes that the OIS machine does not always pick up. As a tec is it my job to plug in and check for these codes or should i just let the functional test do its own job while i worry about the visual?

For example a vehicle comes in and has code P0420 stored but still passes functional test and i plug in my scanner and catch the code can i mark defective as a result on the visual for having the code stored?

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

GreenSmoke
Was the code missing?
Was the code defective? (Ex: was it broken)
Was the code tamperd? Was it replace with another p0420 from anther vehicle or taped up or glued with silicon.

If No, then you PASS as long as the physical 🐱 hasnt been messed with

If you want the green then you pass, if not let him go and dont waste his/her time.

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

none
I would not FAIL a car for any history code but I would look very close at that area (like O2 spacer behind the cat).

A code stored in history does NOT mean there is a fault currently. I have seen pending random missfire codes set by a car running out of gas and by dealers pressure washing an engine. By the time I am scanning it the missfire condition is long gone.

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

GreenSmoke
Too many idiots failing unnecessary...

And then the BAR is like "FPR is based on natural fails".

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

I have let techs go for this, what part of "test as presented by customer" is misunderstood. A pretest is one thing, but if your pre scanning then your defeating the point of the program.
Failure for a stored code your being a ass.

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

Smogtalk wrote
 and i plug in my scanner and catch the code can i mark defective as a result on the visual for having the code stored?
It is not necessary to pre-scan vehicles but it can help your fpr by not smogging cars with pending codes.Failing as defective for a code is a no, you will lose against a customer BAR complaint. Instead you can reject them and tell  them you don't test cars with pending codes ( for the sake of your fpr).

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

Smogtalk wrote
Is checking for emission related DTCs part my (the tech) job?
As far as inspection goes?   NO.

Sometimes i get vehicles with DTCs STORED for cats, evap and other emission related codes that the OIS machine does not always pick up. As a tec is it my job to plug in and check for these codes or should i just let the functional test do its own job while i worry about the visual?
The machine picks it up, but no one cares as long as the MIL is commanded off.     The info is sent to BAR, but it's not printed out.

For example a vehicle comes in and has code P0420 stored but still passes functional test and i plug in my scanner and catch the code can i mark defective as a result on the visual for having the code stored?
Where did you get your OBDII training?   I'm really curious.

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Was kind of wondering the same thing?

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

deathbysmog
I never check obd2, smog as presented, pass is a pass, not my job to make the test harder. State sets the rules i just hit the keys. I have never had any issues with FUPR.

 Jul 2018 0.90
Jan 2018 0.80
Jul 2017 0.67
Jan 2017 0.74
Jul 2016 0.84
Jan 2016 0.85
Jul 2015 0.80
Jan 2015 0.75
Jul 2014 0.71
Jan 2014 0.69
Jul 2013 0.69
Jan 2013 0.74
Jul 2012 0.94
Jan 2012 0.98
Jul 2011 0.70

Re: Is Checking for DTCs necessary?

Why would you pre-check a vehicle? A waste of time and detrimental to your SVPR. Who is to say that that P0420 takes a week to set and someone has cleared and monitored the vehicle telling the poor consumer take it in now and it will pass! Then you are confused about how the OIS does not see it? Failing for not ready is part of the consumer interface that we all struggle with. My experience tells me the consumer knows and is coached to try to skirt the real problem with their vehicle. When I fail for not ready if they want to return to me for re-test it has to be after 100 miles of or I don't even bother hooking up. Most come back for the free scan cause the MIL comes on, whala!! By the way scanners have different purposes than the OIS. We are not even privy to what the OIS is capable of we are just aware of what the results mean. Data is collected that we have no idea of and the range of data varies from vehicle manufacturer. When they play games like running the vehicle at certain RPM's and freezing data stream, they could have a viable reason or be simply fucking with us to see what that data set looks like and do their comparative analysis. I would not worry about what condition their condition was in test the vehicle as quickly and comprehensively as you can and get on to the next victim. Oh, and Charge More Cause it will make for a very Happy New Year!

JM