Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

stopstar1234
So this week has been crazy with ''tamper'' 4 already today from wrong cats to throttle body spacers to a full turbo Honda civic with the exhaust coming out the hood.. really? lol so ya just this week alone ive had over 15 tampers new record for me... I do things by the book cracked o ring on gas cap FAIL.. I only to hope the other 90 percent do the same.. but it seems like newer techs have made their own rules or just are flat out lazy.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Best Answer I Can Give
 Last PR I had in said they KNOW that some days all things pass. Some days all things fail. Yes I have had those days.
 So bad one day I took a glass of water and sprinkled it in the bay. Gave the bay a Exorcism. They started to pass.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Is a split O ring on the cap an automatic fail? I ask this because some cars seal in the filler neck rather than relying in the cap and weak hands for the seal. The cap just keeps stuff out. (I'n not taking about the cap-less Fords either)

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Troll
we stock gas caps and tell customer car will fail unless they buy a cap now from us, or walk 1/2 mile to kragens and get it there. Key word is walk.  Makes the sale every time you say walk

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Gen3 seems to be implying that we don't even need to do visual on 96+ fuel caps anymore. I don't check the seal unless EVAP monitor is incomplete on OIS.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Is a split O ring on the cap an automatic fail?
It is around here.  I have been getting more fails for wrong caps than defective caps lately, though.

 Bad O ring is a Fail here. If the factory didn't need it, they would not use it.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

none
I guess that's one reason for my low FPR then because I don't even pull the cap on 1996 and newer anymore.

 Same boat. But I think I will start.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Smogtech
96+ I check if it there nothing else

 all the guys in this area test  threaded gas cap, selected black adapter

I guess the other guys in your area don't have a GEN3 ? There is no option.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Smogtech
very low % here with gen 3.  Most I spoken to , thinking jump over WW in 2018.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

I had this visual gas cap checking with Johnnybeme before. Seems like I was right, no need to check the seals, if it's there pass, if not fail.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

The crazy part is that we don't have to check it because of that line that says no disassembly for evap. Since there is no functional required either, legally we are off the hook.

Scary part is, disassembly of evap is the only thing mentioned. Implying we need to do an engine tear down to verify EO of a performance camshaft.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

smog man
Lol, i'm like really, how are we supposed to verify a EO# on a camshaft installed in a engine. Somebody must be smoking to much green stuff, down there at BAR, that wrote that. Or doesn't know were a camshaft is located on the engine.

Re: Is it bad to have to many fails/tampers

Centralized Smog
The thing with the Bar is don't stick out or we will drop the hammer on you. Stay in the middle and don't have too many or too little