Is it just me

No One
Or are smog test only shops starting to drop? The guy up the street that was always charging 30 bucks out the door for test closed up. He threw in the towel. Another shop not too close to me also closed up, said he isn't making as much as he used to.

Re: Is it just me

Ser Dan
a lot of shops come and go
you can still make a living out of it though

Re: Is it just me

Best Answer I Can Give
 Maybe some of the reason is, those shop's should have never been in it to begin with.

Re: Is it just me

SoCalSmogGuy
No One wrote
Or are smog test only shops starting to drop? The guy up the street that was always charging 30 bucks out the door for test closed up. He threw in the towel. Another shop not too close to me also closed up, said he isn't making as much as he used to.
In my area it's the opposite. One closes and two open.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Is it just me

xcinlb
Probably something to do with charging $30 out the door. Even if it was 2000 model year newer. Pretty much everything is going up in price, restaurant food around here has double since about 5 years, rents, wages everything  cost more to do business. So why would smog test go down in price? If all the shops raised smog test to $70 to $200 then it would raise the worth of the shops, employees would earn more, and therefore more techs would want to do this etc etc. It's all about the numbers and knowing what they are.

Re: Is it just me

none
In my area the number of places that do smog checks has grown because several repair shops have started doing BAR-OIS. It has not really hurt my numbers though.

State wide the number of smog check stations has dropped though. In 2016 there were about 500 more stations than is 2019.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Documents/Newsletter.aspx Pick one and Click on "BAR by the numbers" on the left column.

Re: Is it just me

xcinlb wrote
Probably something to do with charging $30 out the door. Even if it was 2000 model year newer. Pretty much everything is going up in price, restaurant food around here has double since about 5 years, rents, wages everything  cost more to do business. So why would smog test go down in price? If all the shops raised smog test to $70 to $200 then it would raise the worth of the shops, employees would earn more, and therefore more techs would want to do this etc etc. It's all about the numbers and knowing what they are.
I'm starting to see shops around me raise prices. Yesterday I had a guy come in where he had failed at some shop about a mile away from me for monitors. I saw the receipt. The guy charged him $90 bucks for dyno test on 99 car. I'm over here charging $70.

The customer mentioned that the other shop was also charging him full price for a retest and refused to do a pre-scan for monitors(he lost another $90).

Re: Is it just me

Able
SoCalSmogGuy wrote
No One wrote
Or are smog test only shops starting to drop? The guy up the street that was always charging 30 bucks out the door for test closed up. He threw in the towel. Another shop not too close to me also closed up, said he isn't making as much as he used to.
In my area it's the opposite. One closes and two open.

My area is like that too. Also lots of general mechanics are doing OIS testing only so they are not star, but still are taking lots of smogs from me.

Many customers come in and their first question for me is "You guys STAR right?"

Re: Is it just me

805smogtech

$90 for an enhanced smog aint bad. I've heard there are some guys with dyno's in basic areas where they might be the only dyno for 100 square miles or the county for that matter and they charge over $140. in my experience most people end up registering in the basic area (if they live here and aren't just passing through) and then end up getting there vehicle TSI tested.

No One wrote
xcinlb wrote
[...]

You can still make a good living in this industry as a test only technician ideal League you're an owner-operator of the station. But you can reasonably survive of course if you're in the Bay Area that becomes more difficult because cost of living increases here. Where I would recommend being a owner operator I know someone right now that has a few shops that's struggling because he expanded too quickly

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 3:02 PM No One [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or are smog test only shops starting to drop? The guy up the street that was always charging 30 bucks out the door for test closed up. He threw in the towel. Another shop not too close to me also closed up, said he isn't making as much as he used to.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Is-it-just-me-tp5078361.html

Re: Is it just me

ajs350
It looks like the statewide station count is down by several hundred stations compared to a year or so ago.  Data Check Fail killed off hundreds of cheating stations.  Also the change from 6 to 8 years new vehicles exempt lowered vehicle testing volume significantly.  I expect several hundred more stations will drop out this year due to low testing volume.

Re: Is it just me

SoCaL92626
A lot of these people convert $30 to their native currency "shekels, pesos, dinar, dong, won, etc." and that seems like a whole lot to them, until they can't afford to pay their rent no more and they maximize their credit cards and can't pay back their loans.

These are the dummies with no business background and I don't feel sorry for them at all. They talk smack about the shops that charge $70 and then they realise they should have done the same.

Re: Is it just me

BayAreaSmogTech
No One wrote
Or are smog test only shops starting to drop? The guy up the street that was always charging 30 bucks out the door for test closed up. He threw in the towel. Another shop not too close to me also closed up, said he isn't making as much as he used to.

Do the math. If you own a small test only shop, you will need to do ~$500 a day to make enough for it to be worth it. That should make you $6500+ a month with $4000 in overhead costs (without advertising).

Now doing $30 smogs, you'll need to do 17 smogs a day to make that. Chances of you doing 17 smogs a day starting out a new shop are very slim. So there will be a lot of bait and switch (extra money for Star, no letter, suvs etc), which in turn works against you and leaves a lot of people pissed off.

Its a tough industry and there a lot of older shops that have a foothold in the smog industry and no matter how many new shops open, people will continue to keep going to them as long as they've built a relationship.

Just my 2 cents.