Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

smog frogposter
Our Bar97 from Worldwide continues to break down, the bench has been replaced at least three different times over the course of three years and the entire inspection system as been replaced with a newer one with more problems which continue to prevent us from performing an inspection from Hydrocarbon hangup issues to Dynamometer calibration failures (clayton that worldwide provided). Anyone else with the same problems? Do you happen to know whether or not there is a lemon law of some sort which we could use to condemn the equipment? We have a stack of repair orders and invoices of reoccurring problems with no repair solution to the frequent breakdowns, thank you in advance.

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

No One
I remember back when I started smog testing that there were at least 5-7 companies making smog machines. Now we only have world wide and opus which was formerly known as esp the number 1 smog machine. I think the lack of competition makes them not make good smog machines. I also remember world wide owners always complaining that their shit was always being repaired.

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

BasicTech678
No One wrote
I remember back when I started smog testing that there were at least 5-7 companies making smog machines. Now we only have world wide and opus which was formerly known as esp the number 1 smog machine. I think the lack of competition makes them not make good smog machines. I also remember world wide owners always complaining that their shit was always being repaired.
zero problems here love my WW

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

It's kind of interesting how it changes overtime who is good and who comes into the field. When I got my smog license in 1990 SUN seemed to be the best machine and there was BEAR and maybe some others. Then came ESP with the BAR97 who we never heard of before and SUN was crap. World Wide and SPX were out there but I never heard of them before and have still never used one.

With BAR OIS I've heard of DREW before and thought it would be the best but I now prefer Applus Smog Daddy which has a stupid name! It looks like Drew is already in shops beta testing the new DAD and I contacted Applus and they aren't even working on a new one yet so they may go to the wayside.

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

BasicTech678 wrote
No One wrote
I remember back when I started smog testing that there were at least 5-7 companies making smog machines. Now we only have world wide and opus which was formerly known as esp the number 1 smog machine. I think the lack of competition makes them not make good smog machines. I also remember world wide owners always complaining that their shit was always being repaired.
zero problems here love my WW
I'm glad and i hope it stays that way.

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

stop buying them and just lease them with a service contract, and then let them deal with the pice of junk, there out of date old tech

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:47 AM smog frogposter [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our Bar97 from Worldwide continues to break down, the bench has been replaced at least three different times over the course of three years and the entire inspection system as been replaced with a newer one with more problems which continue to prevent us from performing an inspection from Hydrocarbon hangup issues to Dynamometer calibration failures (clayton that worldwide provided). Anyone else with the same problems? Do you happen to know whether or not there is a lemon law of some sort which we could use to condemn the equipment? We have a stack of repair orders and invoices of reoccurring problems with no repair solution to the frequent breakdowns, thank you in advance.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Is-there-a-Lemon-Law-or-something-similar-for-smog-equipment-tp5083354.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

none
We've been using these for three years or more now. I figure you are getting near the break even point of buying versus renting if that makes you feel any better.

I figured it was 3 1/2 years with the ESP GEN3 to break even and I did my first test on mine March 18, 2019. I have had them out to repair it a few times though which will drive it further out. Soon I will be on the right side of this..

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

We've been using these for three years or more now. I figure you are getting near the break even point of buying versus renting if that makes you feel any better.

I figured it was 3 1/2 years with the ESP GEN3 to break even and I did my first test on mine March 18, 2019. I have had them out to repair it a few times though which will drive it further out. Soon I will be on the right side of this..
same promised i would pay off early but still haven't lol but when it is paid off it will be worth the investment

It doesn't really matter WHEN you pay it off. It matters WHAT you paid for it compared to paying $450/month rent.

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

xcinlb
Everyone pays the same right? I haven't heard of deals being made on these machines. We lease from OPUS and just call in for service. The problem is that sometimes service takes a few days

Re: Is there a Lemon Law or something similar for smog equipment?

none
xcinlb wrote
Everyone pays the same right? I haven't heard of deals being made on these machines. We lease from OPUS and just call in for service. The problem is that sometimes service takes a few days
You don't have to lease the OPUS BAR97. You can buy the OPUS outright like I and many others did but then it just caries a 1 year service contract. You can buy the World Wide BAR97 like these guys are talking about and it has a 5 year service contract.