Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

Able
There are tons of dealerships that have their own smogs in house and they come to us STAR stations for directed vehicles.

My question is, they have the own ability to smog and CERTIFY their own cars? Cars need to pass smog in order for title transfer! So its in their BEST interest $$$$ to pass marginal and cars that would fail elsewhere in order to sell their cars.

In any industry that would be a major conflict of interest!

I tried to hire a smog technician from a dealership and got all sorts of inside info. Oh the stories he told me. lets say everything passes... dirty as F! Resetting and letting everything go by. Smogs take 3 minutes as they smog 35+ a day.

OKAY SO TO BE FAIR, BAR DID CHECK UP ON HIS DEALERSHIP AND SEND A UC AND HE GOT A CITATION AND WAS NOT ABLE TO WORK AT A STAR STATION FOR A YEAR! good job there.

This really sucks for him because working at a dealership, the BOSS wants him to pass everything and they hold his paycheck so he has little say. (quid pro quo)??? He needs a paycheck to support his family and now its gone. Again, the "little" man gets the short end of the sick and the rich dealership owner simply hires a new tech to pass his cheap cars and continues to become richer!

Simply said, You SHOULD NOT be able to certify your own products in any industry.

BAR PLEASE look into this and make some changes!

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

xcinlb
The Auto Dealers association has a lot of power and money. Money being the highlighted word. Money talks. They get away with all kinds of crap.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

Saying all dealers are bad because one did shady stuff is like saying all smog techs are crooked and clean pipe cars because a few techs do.

The Toyota dealer I worked at would NEVER do anything shady and sold off cars wholesale if there was any doubt about ANY possible issues. In the mid 2000s lots of dealers went under but they are still going strong.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

RICHARDCRANIUM
I have been smogging my own vehicles for 36 years and I sure the hell don't think that they should take that away from us,I have never done an illegal or questionable smog so why should I be penalized?
I did have a DMV clerk tell me once that I could not certify my own vehicle and I promptly asked for a supervisor and asked them to show me where in the laws it said that,they could not find anything and did not even have the correct look up material. Sure made him look stupid.
Shop owner 17 Years, 30+ year Smog Technician.
Inspector and repair Tech. I began in the BAR 84 platform.
Been current ever since. Momma said I hit my head a lot as a kid!

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

No One
I agree with you.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

Able
I just dont think you can certify your own product at a business level.

Imagine if McDonald can certify their own foods and say it passes for Health and Safety regulations?

You need to have a system of check and balance, a third party that is IMPARTIAL to the product of interest.

Similar to getting a house inspection and house appraisal. If a realtor can perform home inspection and appraisal, the realtor can certainly SWAY the numbers to help the outcome based on if they represent the seller or buyer.

of course not all dealership/business owner/realtor will operate this way, but it does raise a red flag.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

D Rochells 150861
Yes Able, the whole smog program is a conflict of interest with no real checks and balances. Future generations will be taught about it in school to demonstrate how silly and primitive we are.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

805smogtech
Able wrote
I just dont think you can certify your own product at a business level.

Imagine if McDonald can certify their own foods and say it passes for Health and Safety regulations?

You need to have a system of check and balance, a third party that is IMPARTIAL to the product of interest.

Similar to getting a house inspection and house appraisal. If a realtor can perform home inspection and appraisal, the realtor can certainly SWAY the numbers to help the outcome based on if they represent the seller or buyer.

of course not all dealership/business owner/realtor will operate this way, but it does raise a red flag.
True. But the real world is corrupt. if you couldn't by law smog your own car (or anything registered in your name at dmv), then what is to stop you from taking it to your friends shop down the street and giving him $8.25 to cover the cert and vice versa?

I've always smogged all my own vehicles. only costs me $8.25 to smog my own junk. why would i want to pay someone else at some other shop $50+ when i can smog my own vehicle for 8.25? LOL...also smog for my family and friends too, although they just get the standard coupon rate cause they don't work at the shop

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

Best Answer I Can Give
 There is no "Conflict of Interest" The BAR is to stop that.

Re: Is this a HUGE conflict of interest or not?!!?!?

This happens alot old news if you been around awhile

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Is-this-a-HUGE-conflict-of-interest-or-not-tp5076870.html