Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

locopoco
I have a customer who is an old lady,easily pushing 80,God bless her.She has a 1981 Cadillac Seville with 70K
original miles original owner,which for last several years, I always have done the smog, and always passed with flying colors.Beginning of the Jan. she came for her smog again which of course it was Star and I wasn't,so I ran a precheck to make sure everything was good before sending him to Star station.Everything checked out OK(she only drove less than 3K miles in 2 years).Low and behold, Today she came back with a failed smog report,not for emission,but for MIL not functioning,and "blue smoke coming out of tail pipe".
I Effen hit the roof when I saw that.The idiot who tested this car, doesn't know apparently that on this model Cadillacs ,Service engine soon light comes on just for a second and then it goes off,when you turn the key on,and as far as "blue smoke" there is none,just none.
Dumbass Tech failed a good running car just to get his score up,and that is the way, how the star is setup.When I confronted the A-hole,he has no explanation regarding the MIL,and he was insisting on seeing blue smoke out of the tail pipe. Although,The damage has been done to my record , I told my customer to file a complain and take it to referee for second opinion,but honestly I don't think she has the stamina,nor the energy for it(she barely walks). I wonder how many of our previously smoged cars are failing like this.
Sorry for the rant,but I am furious about this and wanted to vent.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

FRUSTRATED
Complete BS man!  The smoke was probably from the "STAR" tech smoking weed while running the dyno.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

The problem will only get worse when more vehicles fail that should pass on their own.
The BAR "might" investigate a station should a number of customers complain
about a particular shop failing a lot of vehicles. Then the BAR would have to send
in an undercover vehicle to see what they fail it for. However, if that station has a
high STAR score, the BAR will say "they there is no way the station is doing
anything wrong".

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Just another shop owner
  STAR Works See

              BULL S&&T

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Citation Addict
Ive had that happen only its the other way around, I fail it, but then the customer takes it upon themselves to go elsewhere, have it illegally passed,and come back screaming at me for a refund.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Accused
This is easily a more important consumer issue for BAR to be looking into than ANY UC run they could think of.

BAR needs to hear about this from consumers, legislators and the media. Maybe then, they would refocus on their true mission as part of DCA.

Or maybe UC runs need to return to what they were back in the day when Sears would get busted for selling shocks to EVERY customer.  Maybe BAR needs to start sending in cars with NO faults to see if someone will fail them.  That would be a big change - citing for INTENTIONAL illegal activity instead of oversight.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

calismog
This is really sad, now the poor lady that is probably living on a fixed income has to spend time and money
and look for someone that even wants to touch her car!True , now it looks bad on your follow up rate and it looks good on his record. There are alot of star stations doing that around my area, failing cars on purpose.
RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Citation Addict
One of the things that makes my blood boil, is when I get someone in here like that just had their oil changed and all 4 tires are literally flat, not only is that ripping the customer off, now their car is a safety hazard going down the road, and they get charged for a vehicle inspection.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

I can see your point about the check engine light. Was probly a newer tech that hasnt seen old ass shit
like that before.
But the smoke is a different story. Since this whole STAR crap started I have gotten alot of new
customers and the fail rate on them is way higher than my regular customers. Stupid shit like broken
vacuum temp switches and split or collapsed pcv hoses. Everytime I get the same story. The last guy
passed it like that. In fact the last guy is the one who duct taped that hose up for me. Or he was the
one who put that heater hose where a fuel,pcv, or oem hose shoulda been used.
STAR is bullshit. It has hurt some honest techs. But it has weeded out some dumb lazy techs too.
I have friends with shops here in sac and the ones that did good smogs are all in the STAR
program. The ones that werent good techs are out. I am only speaking on the techs that I personally
know. You guys here might be some of the honest few that were good techs that got kicked out for
no good reason as I know none of you personally.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

just another shop owner
AL, you left out one type mine. Yes we bent the rules. No tape. No glue, no water hose. I always kept a supply of the right hose. I have given GIVEN away miles of hose. Why, it keeps the consumer happy.

  So what is wrong about good old helping out your fellow man, YOU DON'T GET STAR

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

138541
This is the reason I give a free retest. I dont have to feel guilty for failing a car. The customer has a
chance to come back for a freebee. It is an inconvience to the customer and myself. But it keeps me
in the STAR program for now.

And if by chance any BAR rep is reading this. Could you please let us know how FPR is calculated.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Under the Bus
Well, i guess  i can tell some of my final stories. Coming  to the end of my career in the automotive industry. Lost my job due to the star program.To old to start over and not quite old enough to retire. Started wrenching when cars had points. Kept on when HEI took over. Been there when there was no distributor,drive by wire,ect. Have been smog tech for over 30 years. I have been to the  Hamilton station in L.A. when it started and was there when it closed. I have tried to do the best i can and could for both my customers and follow the procedure for the smog program. If i had a problem i would call BAR and get 4 different answers to the same question. The only question i had for them this time was why is my rating low and what can i do to improve it. The answer was we dont really know but it must be correct I then requested a meeting to go over my scores. Not gonna happen. I really feel for you young guys. At least you can rebound. Sad, but no one wants a old tech with bad FPR.  Good Luck

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

just another shop owner
 How in the hell do we meet some of these guys, us old farts who care and KNOW. Bus our history is just about the same.

 You are one of the guys who smile when they remember the Hamilton Cluster

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Under the Bus
yep, i remember that a car would fail and all that was required to fix it was a pocket screwdriver and the lean drop adjustment. sign the back

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

turncoat
way to go.. shops cant keep their mouths shut about others.  no one can stand together like this.

its so shameful

I agree with the both you and Barry, its one thing to have a friendly rivalry, but getting on a personal level to make yourself look good thats out of line. I have good business relationships with many shops around me, and its earned me some enemies too. The ones that don't screw me I send repair work to, the ones that do have to remember that word of mouth gets around.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

locopoco
As of Jan.10 I am Star qualified,but not certified yet,and seeing someone intentionally playing with your FUPR,to boost their rating, will make anyone mad.
I didn't call the tech to belittle him or anything,I,and mainly my customer wanted to get some explanation about why was it failed,when it should have been passed clearly.By the way she is highly educated and not some moron.She is going back today for the free retest she has,and will let me know how it goes.
One more thing:STAR SUCKS.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Citation Addict
When I fail a car for a Smoke Test, it better be darn obvious. A few puffs and its clear, to me, is not the end of the world. If a car uses solid lifters make sure that engine is hot.

Re: Is this how you should act to become a "star"?

Accused
If you follow the BAR guidelines, smoke (from the tailpipe) on the first snap should not be counted and any smoke that lingers for less than 3 seconds should not be counted.  Additionally, I am seeing more and more techs generating smoke failures that are from leaks onto the exhaust.

Lot's of techs are generating illegitimate smoke failures.  - because they are incompetent.  BAR needs to go after these dumbass techs.
12