It feels wierd

007
It feels weird putting N/A for timing and gas caps on 96-99. So if those don't matter why are we doing dyno testing? Why not OIS like we did during beta testing? Car fails last week for timing and this week after the custimor spends his money its NA today and doesn't even show up on the printout. Just waiting for the custimor who failed timing and passed emissions and now he sets the timing and fails emissions and his timing isn't even required to be checked, what do you tell him oh set it back to where it was because it doesn't matter anymore and hopefully your emission will pass again. Who the fuck thinks this shit up, do they even have any automotive training at all. Common sense tells you this change is retarded, not complaining makes my job that much easier. Just making a point.

Re: It feels wierd

FiendFX
BAR thinks it has Knock sensor(s) so timing is not required.

Gas cap check no more because they believe EVAP monitor will handle it.

Re: It feels wierd

007
Knock sensors have been on cars since 1981, so why check timing on those vehicles? Orginally when they stopped testing gas caps on 2000 and newer, they said the computers will determine a problem and 99 older car the computers weren't able to determine a leak properly so keep testing them, just wonder what changed there? and if that changed, it just goes to show there is no need to dyno these vehicles either.

Re: It feels wierd

kfworry
The BAR Gods, ARB and our Governor Brown want the 1999 and older
vehicles OFF THE ROAD. "Most likely to fail tail pipe" they say.

Re: It feels wierd

smogido
Do you think we can still fail timing under visual test? you can tell if the distributor was retarded or advanced.

Re: It feels wierd

FiendFX
You cannot fail 96-99 vehicle for ignition timing anymore, as per current regulation.

Re: It feels wierd

cosmokramertheassman
Smogido, it would be difficult, if not impossible to tell if a vehicle's timing was off based just on the position of the distributor. I've seen cars with the distributor turned all the way to the stopping point because the timing belt was installed incorrectly. The timing on those vehicles were within spec.

I don't see why some of you guys want to over complicate the new test procedures by taking steps that are unnecessary and downright illogical.

Re: It feels wierd

SOLO310
 SO ITS OFFICAL THEN ON GAS CAP AND TIMMING 96-99 ?

Re: It feels wierd

Ahem, read the book!

Re: It feels wierd

OK What is keeping us from saying timing and gas cap are tested?

Re: It feels wierd

justa
Banned User

Re: It feels wierd

cosmokramertheassman
Man, Justa, you go on some weird tangent rants sometimes. Sometimes I can't even understand what you're trying to say. Haha