It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Able
So I tamper failed exactly 14 spacers this year.

Had one older gentleman came in, after passing one of his cars, he asked about another vehicle of his.

Told me about his mini cooper 2008. Said the car runs fine, but has a p0420 code. He tried lots of resets, fuel additives and several drive cycles. All failed.

I told him gotta take it the a mechanic, it might need a new cat. He immediately asked me about an adapter. That's his wording. I told him that would be illegal and I would fail his car..

OMG the reaction on his face was hilarious. He said that's illegal?!  YUP!

Guess some people don't even know spacers are illegal.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Kevin
there are people pushing these illegal repairs as a fix on youtube

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 11:08 AM Able [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I tamper failed exactly 14 spacers this year.

Had one older gentleman came in, after passing one of his cars, he asked about another vehicle of his.

Told me about his mini cooper 2008. Said the car runs fine, but has a p0420 code. He tried lots of resets, fuel additives and several drive cycles. All failed.

I told him gotta take it the a mechanic, it might need a new cat. He immediately asked me about an adapter. That's his wording. I told him that would be illegal and I would fail his car..

OMG the reaction on his face was hilarious. He said that's illegal?!  YUP!

Guess some people don't even know spacers are illegal.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/It-s-that-time-of-the-year-again-spacer-counts-tp5082682.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

I had a tech sent a car for a smog inspection. I failed it for spacers. He told me he is gonna report me for failing him. He told me has also has a smog license. Beat that.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Best Answer I Can Give
 The SMART shop, clears the monitor pulls the spacer and then takes it to a shop. Had lots of those.
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

XXAMM1
I failed a truck for spacers,customer was pissed,told him to call BAR if he felt I was wrong,he did and BAR came the other day,customer wanted to get me in some type of trouble,because his "friend"told him it should of passed.I told BAR to go to the shop that passed it 15 minutes later.He even admitted to BAR about the spacers,BAR said there was no issue but has to follow thru on all complaints.He said he was going to
go to the shop that passed it.Some people are just asswipes.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Technician A
I s
XXAMM1 wrote
I failed a truck for spacers,customer was pissed,told him to call BAR if he felt I was wrong,he did and BAR came the other day,customer wanted to get me in some type of trouble,because his "friend"told him it should of passed.I told BAR to go to the shop that passed it 15 minutes later.He even admitted to BAR about the spacers,BAR said there was no issue but has to follow thru on all complaints.He said he was going to
go to the shop that passed it.Some people are just asswipes.
I send these people to the referee. Tell them referee won't charge again for the smog check.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

FiendFX
Referee would hate you for that lol

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Samy
You must have good knees and sharp eyes to look for these.<smiley image="anim_claps.gif"/
Mines are under 10s.

This is why i require the evap monitor to be set here at my shop with no pending codes. Don't mind losing the money on a smog that my lower my fpr score down the line.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

Technician A
FiendFX wrote
Referee would hate you for that lol
I wouldn't think so. One of the main reason we have referees is to settle disputes on the smog check result. It is a better option than calling the BAR and filing a complaint. A BAR rep must go to your station and have a chat for any complaints.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

FiendFX
Technician A wrote
FiendFX wrote
Referee would hate you for that lol
I wouldn't think so. One of the main reason we have referees is to settle disputes on the smog check result. It is a better option than calling the BAR and filing a complaint. A BAR rep must go to your station and have a chat for any complaints.
Sending a customer with a vehicle that has an aftermarket CAT that is not readable would make sense.

But O2 sensor modified is pretty straight forward.. which is unnecessary in need of the referee's judgement. Just think about it before responding.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

none
I had a older guy come in a few weeks ago with a 2008 Acura MDX and we failed it because the MIL was on for a P0420.The guy got really mad and said the light has been on for 5 years and always passes like that. At this point I was done with this grouchy old fart and told him he should probably go back to the guy who's been passing him illegally and most likely plugging into another car. Yesterday he came back for a retest and I noticed right away that the cats were all the old ones but when I got my mirror out bank 1 (firewall side) had a shiny O2 sensor spacer. This time I failed it for TAMPERED and he was pissed again. I'm sure he won't be back and this one I'm OK with.

For us techs it is a no brainer. For the consumer it is not and that is why they are arguing the result. Anytime a customer has a problem with the result, I will inform them of the referee center.

Re: It's that time of the year again.... spacer counts

I had a older guy come in a few weeks ago with a 2008 Acura MDX and we failed it because the MIL was on for a P0420.The guy got really mad and said the light has been on for 5 years and always passes like that. At this point I was done with this grouchy old fart and told him he should probably go back to the guy who's been passing him illegally and most likely plugging into another car. Yesterday he came back for a retest and I noticed right away that the cats were all the old ones but when I got my mirror out bank 1 (firewall side) had a shiny O2 sensor spacer. This time I failed it for TAMPERED and he was pissed again. I'm sure he won't be back and this one I'm OK with.
Oh yea. I guess that A LOT! Some bitches too much I just tell them straight up it aint gonna pass for TAMPERED.