It's the FAIL that means something.

Best Answer I Can Give
 For all of you people that have not figured it out yet, that State dose not want to see pass, IT WANT'S A FAIL.

 The air is Dirty. Why? Well Cars are Dirty, so we must come up with a program to clean up the cars. So we went to a check program. All well and good. We were checking what comes out the tail pipe and what was going in the air.
 They needed to see a number. A number that said, Hey our program is seeing a 25% fail rate. With this program we are cleaning up the air.
They have a "FAIL number" and improved the number, so all is well and good.

 Well I don't know about you people but my "FAIL" number is not near where it was. Not with OIS. Yes the not ready number is up, but light on true fails, that number is in the cellar.

 This is one of the big reasons I feel that the BAR has never come out and Educated the public to what we do.
A educated person, one who knows it will not pass with the light on, clears the light before they come in.
A educated person will not give you the number the BAR NEEDS.

 You can't count "Not ready" as a true fail. We had two do that yesterday. One was a car that just sat and had a flat battery, Another was a little old lady that had a trans just put in. They didn't clear the light to cheat. It was reset by other work. Thus they are not true, We will clear a light because it has a smog problem. The light bwas reset for other reason.
Now is the State counting a "Not ready" as a fail? Because in truth not all not ready are because of a smog problem.

 We have all seen it 96 thru 99 that GP with no light on. When the air start to go bad again, give oit a couple years, it will. Then what will they do?

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

Voltron
I know a guy who purposely fails almost every car the retests it immediately to make him self look good to the state so he claims

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

kfworry
I read somewhere the USA fail rate, with states that perform "plug & play",
is less then 5%.
The knuckleheads at the ARB & BAR might be scratching their heads with that number,
I wonder why????

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

Justa,

If the state really wants the vehicles to FAIL, I don't think they would introduce OIS. Case closed. Dismissed.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

Midnightdrummer
FiendFX wrote
Justa,

If the state really wants the vehicles to FAIL, I don't think they would introduce OIS. Case closed. Dismissed.
They also don't get their $8.25 on a fail

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

There is no point calling it FAIL in the first place, it scares the customers. The doctor does not tell you that you have failed when you have cancer, they just tell you are sick and need help. Sure, the customer in our case has failed to maintain the car, but telling someone they are doing something wrong in a negative way is the least effective means of getting them to change.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

 Drum man, they still get the $$$$$$$$ after it is fixed and passed. Plus they get the phone call money.

 Mr FX, OIS is not a State thing. The Fed's wanted it. Remember your dealing with a outfit, the FED's. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

 Think, you also have a group that think all things should be done on a Federal level. Look the air is not clean with OIS we need to take it over.

 The whole point to this is, You need fails to show your testing system is working. OIS has knocked the hell out of the fail rate.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

yes , it has put a dent in the fail rate , at least around my area it has . Cars passing OIS but smells so bad gotta get the fan and air the shop out ! what helps is to not try and help the customer , its his fault he has a lizard (monitor) messing up his computer . We have a thankless job anyway so , F everybody , no more prescans . I will hold two minute after fail counseling sessions but that's about the extent of it .

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

FiendFX wrote
If the state really wants the vehicles to FAIL, I don't think they would introduce OIS. Case closed. Dismissed.
OIS was introduced in a misguided effort to drive prices down, big political score.  The State does indeed want failures, it's the only way to avoid their own, and what better way to do it than to incentivize inspectors to fail cars, and what better incentive than your livelihood?

Want to sleep better and  stay employable? Fail 'em.
What I lack in technical ability, I make up for in extra fasteners.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

LFA Exhaust Tip

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

Troll
Fail what u passed before is sure way of taking it right to the butt-no astroglide.
butt you have to do your job--
so in other words u r responsible for the life of the 1990 4 cyl camry intake boot which at some point will fail and go against your score, and don't even try to tell the customer it's starting to crack , and they might want to help your score by replacing it before next smog.
or better yet-why don't u buy it for the customer just to protect yourself-
f-me/us

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

Kriss Vector

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

I don't think anyone at BAR understands the current Camry intake epidemic, or even knows that is the most common visual failure. Maybe tied with VW dipstick. If they did, all 2.2 Camrys would get a new intake in the mail with their renewal notice, and same with VW dipsticks.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

 Now think about this one. SVFR. So you tell the car owner to replace the rubber hose. He does. Now every body else is failing the Toyota for a bad hose. So you are cheating. You must fail a car the other 90% did.

 What I find is funny is, we didn't have out STAR for a year. Sent cars away to "STAR approved Stations". Now 2 years latter there back at my shop. I have had 4 in the last 2 days that fail. Fail after they went to the STAR station.
Now I get to ding them. But that's not right, they were STAR APPROVED.

 The way I can tell is, my invoice program tells me the last time a car was in. We didn't do the car in 2013.

 What I find the most ??????????? about is, Two years ago you had a chance to make a new customer. YOU BLEW IT. They will still come back to me. DUDE, DO A SONG AND A DANCE. Steal that person from the other shop. Make it so they want to come back to your shop. They didn't??????????????????????????? Who knows.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

I don't get many OBD 1 camry but I do get those OBD 2 4 cyl camry that usually has a broken intake boot near the butterfly.

Re: It's the FAIL that means something.

It is not even noon and I FAILED three cars on OIS. One Silverado as tampered because of a "performance module" hooked to the air flow meter, one PT Cruiser for a collapsed PCV hose, and one Ford F150 with a collapsed fitting at the PCV valve.

This is not the norm here that I have so many fails but it is usually the wrong cat or PCV fails on OIS for me. That is the same though for 1996 and newer on BAR 97.
Don't take advice from me. You'll just end up drunk.