K&N air filter

CHRIS
Hi

Some cars come with k&N air filter only not the whole intake assembly. When I go to the K&N website, it says it is legal 50 state but they dont list an EO number. The website only list the EO number if it is the whole air intake assembly. Do you guys fail or pass them?

Re: K&N air filter

EO/EI144107

Re: K&N air filter

CHRIS

I meant these ones

Re: K&N air filter

CHRIS wrote
Hi
Some cars come with k&N air filter only not the whole intake assembly. When I go to the K&N website, it says it is legal 50 state but they dont list an EO number. The website only list the EO number if it is the whole air intake assembly. Do you guys fail or pass them?
The picture you posted was for an air filter that goes within the original housing, which is a replacement part.  That would be legal.   Are you posting about something like this?   This was posted in the Facebook Smog Techs Only Page.

Re: K&N air filter

CHRIS
Thanks guys.

Re: K&N air filter

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
The picture you posted was for an air filter that goes within the original housing, which is a replacement part.  That would be legal.   Are you posting about something like this?   This was posted in the Facebook Smog Techs Only Page.

Hey Danny is that an illegal set up? If it is, is it because the box is modified?

Re: K&N air filter

scanner
dcf1ver wrote
Hey Danny is that an illegal set up? If it is, is it because the box is modified?
I would fail it.   When an EO number is issued, it's for the entire system.   I don't think that's a replacement filter either.

Re: K&N air filter

dcf1ver wrote
... is that an illegal set up? If it is, is it because the box is modified?
I would reject that one unless it had an EO sticker under the hood, and not in the glove box or who knows where.  I feel too douchey failing something that isn't necessarily or obviously illegal, but I have no qualms about telling someone to GTFO until they can show me a legit sticker.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: K&N air filter

Best Answer I Can Give
 When you are not SURE, FAIL IT. You know the next guy will
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: K&N air filter

dcf1ver wrote
Hey Danny is that an illegal set up? If it is, is it because the box is modified?
That is a K&N that is most likely made for a different vehicle and just put on the end of the stock air intake tube. If you look up a K&N intake for a H2 Hummer you will see it includes an intake tube also and an EO# label.

The replacement filter element posted above would be located INSIDE the stock plastic air box and you wouldn't be able to even see it. It is sold by K&N as a replacement part.

I would FAIL the one Scanner posted too.

Re: K&N air filter

KeepItReal
scanner wrote
I would fail it.   When an EO number is issued, it's for the entire system.

Re: K&N air filter

BasicTech678
KeepItReal wrote
scanner wrote
I would fail it.   When an EO number is issued, it's for the entire system.

it dont look the same at all, plus he said K&N not air raid. yes its out there but not what this truck has installed.

Re: K&N air filter

KeepItReal
He said a EO is only issued for the entire system. I was pointing out that they give EO# to just the aftermarket air filter also

Re: K&N air filter

KeepItReal wrote
scanner wrote
I would fail it.   When an EO number is issued, it's for the entire system.
I'm not to proud to admit I was wrong.  Thanks for the information.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-609-18.pdf

Edit: I didn't know K&N manufactures AIRAID

Re: K&N air filter

KeepItReal wrote
scanner wrote
I would fail it.   When an EO number is issued, it's for the entire system.

It doesn't look like the one in the picture.

ALSO, though the part number is the same, The picture Scanner posted isn't a SILVERADO 5.3L it is a HUMMER 6.0L.

Re: K&N air filter

KeepItReal wrote
He said a EO is only issued for the entire system. I was pointing out that they give EO# to just the aftermarket air filter also
ah i see

Re: K&N air filter

I just rejected a 2006 F-150 that someone managed to "upgrade" with a D-629-4.  Problem was the "cold air" box was mounted backwards (toward the engine) with its sharp edges sawing against the MAF wiring and one of the metal brake lines.  The EO sticker seemed legit enough, but the installation was so bone-headed I could barely contain my laughter.

I should've taken a picture, but the owner was hovering and I didn't want to give him an excuse to get weirder than he already was.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: K&N air filter

When in doubt print your information sources and attach it to the VIR & invoices

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/K-N-air-filter-tp5079145.html