Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

SoCalSmogGuy
I asked this question in a besta thread but it got buried by arguments and hilarious memes.

A few of you had mentioned we are no longer required to purchase the newest emissions books every year. What are the alternatives and are the more cost efficient for a test only shop?
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

BasicTech678
SoCalSmogGuy wrote
I asked this question in a besta thread but it got buried by arguments and hilarious memes.

A few of you had mentioned we are no longer required to purchase the newest emissions books every year. What are the alternatives and are the more cost efficient for a test only shop?
somedata ,mitchell, sometimes-A-Fix if your T&R your probably covered by whatever programs you use.

dont get me wrong the book is easier to look up missing labels but its not necessary to buy one every year. especially when we dont smog the newest model year vehicles. even dealers are not required to smog vehicles under 3 years old i believe. however dont go living in fear over false information that you need to buy a book every year or another shop mite snitch on you

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

somedata ,mitchell, sometimes-A-Fix if your T&R your probably covered by whatever programs you use.

dont get me wrong the book is easier to look up missing labels but its not necessary to buy one every year. especially when we dont smog the newest model year vehicles. even dealers are not required to smog vehicles under 3 years old i believe. however dont go living in fear over false information that you need to buy a book every year or another shop mite snitch on you

I was told by the BAR rep that did my station inspection last year that I must buy the emissions book every year. I always thought that I was supposed to buy one every other year and I mentioned that to him. He told me no.

I use Mitchell over the motor. Never liked motor.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

none
You don't need the book if you have a subscription to ALLDATA or MITCHELL since they have the exact same charts and information on those under the emissions section. They will cost you more per month than a book costs per year though. I have a Mitchell subscription but I find the books easier to look it up quickly.

I alternate between Mitchell and Motor every year and each one has a lot of mistakes.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

No One
The bar rep made me get the all data and the book...

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

SoCalSmogGuy
Thanks for the replies and info fellas.

My shop is test-only so I will not go the subscription route.

Interesting to learn that we are not required to have the latest book. If I do not have a book for MY 2020 does that mean I cannot perform smog inspections on that MY?
Work Smarter AND Harder

I'm certain you are required to have the latest information. It is just either book or subscription.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

No One wrote
The bar rep made me get the all data and the book...
Did you show him that you knew how to look it up on ALLDATA?

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

D Rochells 150861
ALLDATA doesn't cover 75-8?, there is the mythical cd but I've never seen it. Although the books don't have the vacuum diagrams and whatnot, around here there is like one set of green books that gets passed from shitty shop to shop for inspections.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

dcf1ver
SoCalSmogGuy wrote
I asked this question in a besta thread but it got buried by arguments and hilarious memes.

In the short time that Ive been here, Ive found all of his threads should end that way......

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

No One wrote
The bar rep made me get the all data and the book...
Did you show him that you knew how to look it up on ALLDATA?
I didn't get the chance to show him since I didn't have it when he came.

I was outdated on lots of books since the BAR stopped coming around every 3 months. Told me to get a subscription instead of buying vacuum hose routing and components manuals(I stopped buying them in 2010). Those books go for $$$ too much. And the subscription has been very useful.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

dcf1ver wrote
SoCalSmogGuy wrote

LMAO

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

No One wrote
... And the subscription has been very useful.
I agree. I had a subscription to ALLDATA even when I was a test only. It was worth it to find hidden EVAP canisters or timing connectors and then we had to test EGR function on everything that was TSI no matter how new.

Re: Legal Alternative to Emissions Book?

Really depends on whether or not your inspector is current on all the laws. I have had one inspector tell me because we're at Essen repair that the repair information resources we have are sufficient and I had another one told me no and was threatening to cite me for not having the latest book

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Legal-Alternative-to-Emissions-Book-tp5076910.html